World Cup... one month away

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

Yes, y VIVA LA PATRIA! But I guess I see your problem now, an overdeveloped affinity for Brasil.

"Problem"? I think it is you who has a problem. Or argies in general when it comes to Brasil that is. When there's an upcoming game vs. Brasil I love to check out the sports dailies such as Ole. Journalism doesn't get much lower than that.

I loved how the argie writers were bashing and ridiculing everything Brasilian after defeating Brasil in the qualifiers and then when they were destroyed in the Confederations cup by Brasil (baile du samba) they didn't even have the balls to acknowledge it. The cover didn't mention a thing about the game the next day. In fact it was something like a post it with a message that read: "Error: 30-06-2005 For technical reasons we were unable to print this cover. Until tomorrow."

Pathetic but very predictable.
    Quote:

I'll root for Brasil (and all Latin American teams) also until I need to root exclusively for Argentina (y'know, in the Finals).

Yeah, that wasn't arrogant. You must've been doing a lot of rooting last world cup. Oh wait. First round exit. Nevermind.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    intlplbyintlplby Posts: 45member
    no vamos ganhar..... vai ser show de bol
  • Reply 23 of 30
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

"Problem"? I think it is you who has a problem. Or argies in general when it comes to Brasil that is. When there's an upcoming game vs. Brasil I love to check out the sports dailies such as Ole. Journalism doesn't get much lower than that.

I loved how the argie writers were bashing and ridiculing everything Brasilian after defeating Brasil in the qualifiers and then when they were destroyed in the Confederations cup by Brasil (baile du samba) they didn't even have the balls to acknowledge it. The cover didn't mention a thing about the game the next day. In fact it was something like a post it with a message that read: "Error: 30-06-2005 For technical reasons we were unable to print this cover. Until tomorrow."

Pathetic but very predictable. Yeah, that wasn't arrogant. You must've been doing a lot of rooting last world cup. Oh wait. First round exit. Nevermind.

i hear "it's the most wonderful time of the year" in my head. ah, i love the mundial.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Japan drew against Scotland tonight in the Kirin Cup, which Scotland won (going into the game Japan needed to win by 3 to take the cup). The game was scoreless, but I will say that the Japan team looked fantastic, for the first time. They were passing well and aggressively forward and their defense worked for a change. Zico is announcing the WC team members in 2 days.

Scotland, on the other hand, looked good, but petty and dirty. They played well until they realized it was not going to be an easy match, and then things went downhill. They got 4 (5?) yellow cards (including by one of their top strikers within minutes of coming on the field) and sent one Japanese defensiveman off injured by an elbow.

The crowd gave the Scots hell after the injury mentioned above.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Watching the FA cup final - what a game! Extra time now!

Wow. Best goal in the FA Cup Final... ever. (ish.)
  • Reply 26 of 30
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Wow. Best goal in the FA Cup Final... ever. (ish.)

That Stevie G goal was amazing. Even more amazing due to the timing. Go on you Reds!!

Great match. Too bad there had to be a loser. Congrats to West Ham on a great performance. I'm exhausted and a little drunk. Going back to bed.

You'll Never Walk Alone.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    I am rooting for my country, Costa Rica.

I would like Spain to win a World Cup.

Mexico is going to win it.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

I am rooting for my country, Costa Rica.

I would like Spain to win a World Cup.

Mexico is going to win it.

Not if they have to play the USA first. . . Mexico's seeding was a gift as spurrious as the USA's current FIFA ranking.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

That Stevie G goal was amazing. Even more amazing due to the timing. Go on you Reds!!

Gerrard is something like 8.50:1 payout to be England's top world cup goal scorer. If you ask me, those are good odds. I think he has it in him to be the tournament's top scorer. . . Although there has been some talk about pairing Joe Cole with Owen, which might actually work. Cole's odds are actually even higher, so throw a dollar. . . err, pound . . . on him as well.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Scotland, on the other hand, looked good, but petty and dirty. They played well until they realized it was not going to be an easy match, and then things went downhill. They got 4 (5?) yellow cards (including by one of their top strikers within minutes of coming on the field) and sent one Japanese defensiveman off injured by an elbow.

Some of us like that style of play. You might be able to dig up some tremendous video clips of hard-play from the "old Division 1." I know I enjoy watching them tremendously, but then again, I came to soccer via ice hockey and rugby. In the process, you might find some video clips that will make you appreciate the tremendous irony of Cantona hosting Nike's "beautiful game" ads.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Mexico?

Um. OK. If they beat Brazil, Portugal, England, Spain, Holland or Argentina...