AVCHD - Sony and Panasonic announce new HD codec 4 camcorders

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Apple is working with the market leaders. Panasonic and most especially Sony outsell and have far more influence on the direction of the video industry than JVC or Canon.

If Sony had not signed on to HDV its unlikely JVC would have been able to successfully push the format alone. JVC has its own 24P codec from what I hear is pretty good but will not likely see wide use.

Canon's Frame mode is a lame 24P knock off. Canon should have just licensed Panasonic's 24P technology. I can't blame Apple for not supporting it.

Just stop talking until you've got your facts straight.

Have you even used the new Canon? Seen it? Worked with it? Otherwise you wouldn't be so flippant about it. It's completely indistinguishable from 24P.

Also, Sony's using the same exact methodology for creating 24 frames clocked at 48Hz from an interlaced CCD for the brand new XDCAM systems. The only difference is that Sony's lawyers didn't think branding it 24"p" was a concern like Canon's lawyers did.

Panasonic does not have a patent or a license on 24P technology. They aren't doing anything unique or different than Sony's been doing with their 24P HDCAM technology.
  • Reply 42 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Have you even used the new Canon? Seen it? Worked with it? Otherwise you wouldn't be so flippant about it. It's completely indistinguishable from 24P.

I should have been more specific. The XL-1 uses the bogus frame mode. Which is what seemed the comment was complaining FCP does not support. The XL-2 does use real 24P which FCP does support.

Quote:

Also, Sony's using the same exact methodology for creating 24 frames clocked at 48Hz from an interlaced CCD for the brand new XDCAM systems.

I haven't paid much attention to the standard def XDCAM's. They are primarily made for 50i and 60i news and field gathering. I don't know if they are using pixel shifting or signal processing for its progressive. Yes its well known Sony does not like to use true progressive in its standard def line of cameras. They use a poor mans 24P so these cameras cannot compete with the more expensive HD line of cameras.

Quote:

Panasonic does not have a patent or a license on 24P technology.

Robert Faber holds the patent and everyone who uses 24P video must license it from him.

But the way each company achieves 24P is their own little recipe. I looked it up and did read that it is believed the XL-2 is using Panasonic's 24P technology.

Quote:

They aren't doing anything unique or different than Sony's been doing with their 24P HDCAM technology.

Sony uses progressive segmented frame recording in its professional line of HD cameras. Which is entirely different from how Panasonic records 24P.