Apple needs a $399 desktop and a $699 laptop now

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

My friends beige Dell from 2000 with parallel ports can run Mac's apps better than any Mac can?

I think he means to say that Power PC Macs can take full advantage of Power PC native apps and Intel Macs cannot(?)

There's some truth to that but it will be a non-issue almost overnight since everything in sight is getting "universalized" or ported over. AFAIK all of Apple homegrown iApps already take advantage of Intel or soon will and I know they have Intel versions of their pro apps at the ready too.

Its a moot point, if that was indeed the point he was trying to make. I wasn't quite clear...
  • Reply 102 of 109
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    AFAIK ALL Apple iApps and Pro Apps are Universal now, except for Shake.

The only major thing left to be Universalised is Adobe/ Macromedia/ MSOffice. For casual users, Rosetta is a viable option for any Core Duo Mac (ie. everything except the Mac mini Core Solo, which probably ain't that bad at Rosetta).

For Pros who depend a lot on Adobe/ Macromedia, they've got their G5 towers either existing or buying new ones if needed, and their PowerBook G4s - either existing or buying off eBay now.

At this stage (and remember it will over 6 months before we hear any concrete details of Universal Adobe/Macromedia CS3 and MSOffice) the balance between consumer/pro and rosetta/universal apps and the whole shebang seems acceptable.

Side note: with the MacBooks now, I think Apple is on track for the 2nd best quarter ever (Apr-May-June '06)

Just a bit of suffering (a lot !!! arghghh) waiting for Conroe and Woodcrest Mac Pros to show up.

A new iPod of some sort and laptops moving to Merom I guess is guaranteed for sometime between June '06 and December '06.

Overall, Apple ain't gonna waste time with the cheapo desktops and portables. That's really where they are not looking at the moment, IMO.

Side off topic note2:

iPods are due for a revamp, I think. But maybe with their retail store strategy they're moving enough units that they don't need a new model yet I would think the current iPod line up is getting a bit stale.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ry-gar

I think he means to say that Power PC Macs can take full advantage of Power PC native apps and Intel Macs cannot(?)

There's some truth to that but it will be a non-issue almost overnight since everything in sight is getting "universalized" or ported over. AFAIK all of Apple homegrown iApps already take advantage of Intel or soon will and I know they have Intel versions of their pro apps at the ready too.

Its a moot point, if that was indeed the point he was trying to make. I wasn't quite clear...

No, I mean a true desktop with full size drives is able to take advantage of the OS better than a laptop on a stand.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    From personal experience I think people stick with Windows and PCs because its very easy to pirate software and I've seen this a lot, not to mention most people don't even buy real PCs I've known a lot that have bought clones of PCs of course they usually breakdown after a few months and they have to spend a lot of money fixing them or they just buy another one.

So from my experinces, a PC user (especially clone users) tend to pay more in the long run for hardware then buying a Mac, not to mention all the headaches... on the software side well, they just steal (not all of them, just most).

The funniest thing is that these people who pirate que annoyed when there machines and pirateware don't work properly or better yet is actually a virus... but I'm actually quite happy when that happens to them, stealing is wrong period!!!
  • Reply 105 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

The Celeron is nowhere near as castrated a chip as it used to be. The Celeron 4xx series is exactly the same as Core Solo (Yonah), except for these differences:

1.) 1 MB cache instead of 2. (you will note this is still twice the G4's 512 k cache)

2.) 533 MHz front side bus, instead of 667 (still, much higher than the G4's 167)

3.) Marginally less sophisticated power management.

A Celeron 4xx based MacBook would still outperform the G4 iBook that it has replaced.

Perhaps these will be the specs for the upcoming eMac... which everyone has I think forgotten will get the intel treatment.

The eMac could possibly be the computer most people are talking about.

heres an interesting article on the subject:

Quote:

\t

Apple developing next-generation eMac for education, low-end AIO markets?

In the past week, the grapevine has been lit up like a christmas tree with rumors of a new entry-level, education-oriented, all-in-one Mac.

With an industrial design and basic enclosure concept very similar to the modern iMac, the new eMac will be a major departure from its bulbous CRT-based roots.

Employing a reinforced "childproof"/scratchproof 17-inch widescreen LCD display at 1440x900 resolution, the eMac will have an enclosure that is slightly deeper and lacks the clear resin coating of the iMac to create a distinct appearance that is obvious even at a distance....but the similarities just about end there.

Features will include low-wattage Core Solo processors at 1.6 and 1.83GHz, DDR2-667 memory, Intel GMA950 integrated graphics, built-in AirPort Extreme, a slot-loading Combo Drive (optional Superdrive in high-end model), Firewire 400, USB2, and a new educational software bundle.

Many features that are standard parts of the Intel chipset Apple uses in all its new Core-architecture Macs have been hotly debated on the grapevine as to whether or not they will be included in the new eMac. These include Gigabit Ethernet vs. 10/100, Built-in Bluetooth, Combination Analog/Digital Audio I/O vs. Analog-Only, Mighty Mouse vs. Standard one-button Apple Optical Mouse, built-in iSight and microphone, Apple Remote, and so forth.

While we believe that the new eMac will not include an Apple Remote or Mighty Mouse to keep costs down and streamline the computer for use by young students, most of the rest of those features are up in the air. With a less integrated chipset removing many of these features would reduce costs, but not so with Intel's highly integrated Core chipset. Intel sources have suggested that a separate, low-cost chipset supporting Core processors does exist but has not been picked up by any major retailers toi their knowledge.....

Cost of this entry-level, education-oriented All-In-One Macintosh is estimated to be $899 for the low-end model and $1099 for the high-end version. An introduction date has also been the subject of intense debate on the Grapevine but we favor the rumors suggesting an announcement within the next few weeks, just in time for the budgeting season ahead of school year 2006-2007. Even the most conservative estimates put the eMac's introduction at no later than July 15, for this reason.

source: http://www.macosrumors.com/20060530A.php

Plus we have to remember this year it's mostly going to be about the intel transition, Leopord and new iPods, next year Apple will have some more time to create newer computers for other markets.

I think we should all wait and see what Apple has up there sleeves then we can whine (j/k)
  • Reply 106 of 109
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

source: http://www.macosrumors.com/20060530A.php

"Source" and "MOSR" in the same line is, well, funny.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

"Source" and "MOSR" in the same line is, well, funny.

Well since thats where I got that info/wild guess/whatever its good manners to let people know where you got it from. So i don't see why it would be funny... now if I said "the rumor site that is never wrong", well then I would agree.

I used there article because it's about as good a guess as anyone has, plus I do think the time schedule they used (IMO) is about right, I do believe Apple will release the eMac during the NECC convention. It makes sense to release it at an education convention.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

Well since thats where I got that info/wild guess/whatever its good manners to let people know where you got it from. So i don't see why it would be funny... now if I said "the rumor site that is never wrong", well then I would agree.

I used there article because it's about as good a guess as anyone has, plus I do think the time schedule they used (IMO) is about right, I do believe Apple will release the eMac during the NECC convention. It makes sense to release it at an education convention.

The thing is, MOSR isn't a source any more than me writing a blog post is. They come up with random stuff, pipe dreams, that they write about, making it remotely believable, except when you have half a clue.

It's not a good idea to quote them; it's a much better idea to think on your own.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Well, in this case DarthApple is simply quoting MOSR rather than your blog post.