aren't we done with the 1 button mouse?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
isn't it time to have a 2 button laptops?

i guess we're through with that stupid 1 button

yeah apple has its own way in everything, but even if ur just using osx.. its really annoying :/

so when do u think they'd have a 2 button mouse in their laptops?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    The 2-finger click seems to work well enough for me. I don't use right-click that often anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    two button mice on a trackpad is pretty culmsy to use imho, as it requires you to move your thumb in order to select which button to click.. Two finger click is more like right clicking on a regular mouse
  • Reply 3 of 43
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I'm sold on the two fingers on the trackpad / click button. Much more ergonomic believe it or not.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I'm sold on the two fingers on the trackpad / click button. Much more ergonomic believe it or not.

Apple is class, pure and simple! Tell me, tell me, tell me about the new MacBook. Right cilcking, keyboard and magnetic latch, I must know
  • Reply 5 of 43
    i wouldn't mind the OPTION to "hold and click" to simulate a right-click. i'd like that alternative on a one-button trackpad.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    tick629tick629 Posts: 13member
    I completely agree with that!!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Hasn't this subject has been beaten to death?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

i wouldn't mind the OPTION to "hold and click" to simulate a right-click. i'd like that alternative on a one-button trackpad.

That option exists
  • Reply 9 of 43
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    the other night i was on the phone helping my still windows based mother do something on the computer, and every time i said "click this" the unease that windows has created in her with respect to computers caused her to go "right click or left click"

every.....single....time.

Now my mom is a physician and works surrounded by computers monitoring her patients to keep them alive all day, every day. So, she's no dummy. She just hasn't had time to really figure out Windows. And really, the damn thing presents so many mental hurdles that she has to worry about when even walking up to the machine, that she's daunted. Daunted to the point where she has to stop and think "right click or left click" every time she wants to do something.

One button is much, much easier to deal with.

After I got off the phone with her I begged my dad to have them both switch. It's amazing how much easier it would be for them.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Yet somehow the economy hasn't collapsed because 97% of computer users are wondering what button to push.

My Mom: Do I have to keep going up to the menu to copy text?

Me: Just right-click on it and the menu will appear there.

Mom: Oooo.

Fitts law at work.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Apple WINS!

WOOHOOO!
  • Reply 12 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Wow, now I'm sold. That sounds great.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I'd like them to do something alike the Mighty Mouse.. Would be awesome.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

I'd like them to do something alike the Mighty Mouse.. Would be awesome.

ick. probably the one thing that Microsoft womps all over Apple design is Mice. That MM is (imho) a POS, to use a simple acronym.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IntlHarvester

Yet somehow the economy hasn't collapsed because 97% of computer users are wondering what button to push.

My Mom: Do I have to keep going up to the menu to copy text?

Me: Just right-click on it and the menu will appear there.

Mom: Oooo.

Fitts law at work.

so your mom is a genius. way to go. still makes it more complicated than it needs to be. cntrl C or option C works too.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

ick. probably the one thing that Microsoft womps all over Apple design is Mice. That MM is (imho) a POS, to use a simple acronym.

Actually, I was'nt thinking of design (As that would be weird when we are talking about a laptop), I was thinking of the buttons being configurable. 1 button for those who wants it, 2 for those who wants that.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

so your mom is a genius. way to go. still makes it more complicated than it needs to be. cntrl C or option C works too.

Explain to me. How is using one button more complicated than using two?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

Explain to me. How is using one button more complicated than using two?

I think you mean less....unless your rudely agreeing with him???
  • Reply 19 of 43
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I think you mean less....unless your rudely agreeing with him???

No, I was disagreeing with him. From what he quoted and what he said, it appears he supports the "one-button mouse" approach. Doing a mouse this way means you would have to use keys on the keyboard to use a right-click. Meaning two or more keys. With a two-button mouse, you're only using one button to right-click. See what I meant now?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

Context Menu = Complicated

Memorizing Key Commands = Simple

I think that could easily be disproven with user studies.

(Edit: Actually your own post disproves it because Option-C is something else entirely. )