Should Apple make a TV?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Another problem with the TV market for Apple is the speed in which prices are going to drop on competing "new" technologies like Plasma, LCD, and the various projection models as they compete for dominance in the market as well as new, lower cost production comes on line.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem if Apple adjusted their prices based on the current market, but they do not have a tendency to do this. If they did the 20" would be selling for $100-200 less than it is now (which was a competative price when it was introduced). They had the same problem with the 17" before they dropped it, with a price point of $699 (if I remember correctly) than was not adjusted for about 18 months competing in a market where the average monitor was a good $200 less expensive than Apple's offering.

There is also the problem of SALES, Apple doesn't have them. Sure they offer some promo's like a reduced price on a monitor IF you buy a PM, but that's not a sale that brings people into the stores. It puts Apple at a disadvantage in the market when stores have other items truely on sale. Look at the CompUSA circular, when they place Apple computers in there they have a tendency to list the high end price, there is no incentive for them to even put them in, since the best price they can give is the same as everyone else.

Finally, unless they can really bing something new to the market, they should stay out for the same reason they got out of the printer market. They won't be building the product, its basically a (insert manufacturer here) model, sure it looks a little better but not worth the extra $200 price, and the (insert manufacturer here) has a $400 mail in rebate, and Best Buy is offering $100 instant rebate, so the (insert manufacturer here) TV will only cost me $1000 instead of the $1700 for the Apple. Sure there is a good chance I will never get around to mailing in that rebate, but it sounds good when I'm standing there in the store.

If Apple were to become less restrictive in their pricing and allowed retailers to offer sales on their products then I might have different opinion, and if on top of that they adjusted their prices more often so that they stayed price competative then they might be able to be successfull in the overall "comoditized" electronics market, but untill they do I would think that it would be a bad idea to do so.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    apple should not make a tv.

stupid, stupid, idea.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

apple should not make a tv.

stupid, stupid, idea.

Better than your stupid idea
  • Reply 24 of 30
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Like I said before.

I doubt Apple will make a TV for the sake of just watching TV.

But they will make larger Cinema Displays that if the user wants to use it on the entertainment room to watch TV, they could.

Apple might team with Elgato or find an easy way to allow people to hook up TV to the Cinema Displays without the need for a computer. That seems feasible to me.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

A Leopard with a weapon can break Windows

Yeah, but a broken window could kill a leopard. I don't know if that bodes too well for Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

Yeah, but a broken window could kill a leopard. I don't know if that bodes too well for Apple.

You mean broken windows, could stop people using windows and give them one more reason to switch to Tiger, and then Leopard will seal the deal
  • Reply 27 of 30
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    A Leopard with a weapon can break Windows.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Wow. You also started a thread about that?

Slipped by an electronics store today in Fukuoka, Japan, to see what was on offer. Lots of Japanese makers are producing TVs with built-in HDD recording, fold-up keyboards (remaining part of the screen turns to a clock and calendar) and of course Windows and the full range of computer functions. Some of them looked really nice, had great screens and Sony's was even portable (if you call lugging a mark of portability).
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Slipped by an electronics store today in Fukuoka, Japan, to see what was on offer. Lots of Japanese makers are producing TVs with built-in HDD recording, fold-up keyboards (remaining part of the screen turns to a clock and calendar) and of course Windows and the full range of computer functions. Some of them looked really nice, had great screens and Sony's was even portable (if you call lugging a mark of portability).

Hmmm, interesting.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Here:

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/L1/

This one attaches to most better TVs and is a home server, broadcasting thru-out the home.

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGX-XL70S/

And just for fun... the successor to the Clie.

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/UX1/

with a very nice tour...

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/...?product=typeU