Your MacBook Condition: Red, Yellow or OK?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If you have a MacBook, how is it after the first few days?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    I was unable to install an MSDN copy of Windows for work using BootCamp because the keyboard does not initialize and I can't select which version of Windows I'd like to put on (there are three on the disc).

I'm going to try a single-copy disc tonight with a retail key and hope for the best.

Other than that, it's bees knees.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    2.0 GHz black: other problem(s) - please explain

My problem is that I don't have one.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Update - unable to easily get ahold of an XP w/SP2 CD, instead installed Windows SP1 under Parallels, which actually seems more ideal for what I need to do.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

2.0 GHz black: other problem(s) - please explain

My problem is that I don't have one.

I should have included that as an option! I'm in the same boat, but the wife want one really badly, so I think I may order soon.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    sororcasororca Posts: 69member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

I should have included that as an option! I'm in the same boat, but the wife want one really badly, so I think I may order soon.

Be smart - do as your wife says and get her that white 2.0 GHz Macbook asap!
  • Reply 6 of 61
    tommyrtommyr Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

If you have a MacBook, how is it after the first few days?

2 days so far and NO problems. I am one really happy camper so far! 1.83 model, 1 gig RAM. I LOVE this laptop!!!!

Tom
  • Reply 7 of 61
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    White 2.0 worked well for about 3 minutes... It went dark, and never came back on again. Apple said it was "D.O.A.", and now I am waiting another week or so for the replacement.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

Update - unable to easily get ahold of an XP w/SP2 CD, instead installed Windows SP1 under Parallels, which actually seems more ideal for what I need to do.

How's SP1 run under Parallels?
  • Reply 9 of 61
    fyi, got an e-mail yesterday morning saying desktop RC2 is available for download from the parallels website. plus, it includes a version of the compressor tool.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

I was unable to install an MSDN copy of Windows for work using BootCamp because the keyboard does not initialize and I can't select which version of Windows I'd like to put on (there are three on the disc).

I'm going to try a single-copy disc tonight with a retail key and hope for the best.

Other than that, it's bees knees.

That's a bug of Microsoft's. Their boot manager's support for USB keyboards (the MacBook keyboard is internally USB) is incomplete. I could still reproduce this in Vista Beta 1, pathetically enough. You need PS/2, which you can't connect to a MacBook.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Chucker" are you running Vista beta 1 on your mac?
  • Reply 12 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

Chucker" are you running Vista beta 1 on your mac?

No, that was on a "regular PC". Except for the fact that it had a USB keyboard, which still isn't very common. With a PS/2 keyboard, things were fine.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Finally a MacBook Pro showed up at my poor little local "AppleCentre". No signs of any MacBooks yet (so if you'll spare me I'll talk about the MBP not the MB), but I felt up the MacBook Pro real real good.

It is HOT. AT IDLE!! I checked the Activity Monitor, and given it was just sitting there on the table, with the magsafe power connected and the battery removed, it was beyond warm. It was really quite hot on the top left and towards the back, and on the bottom almost all throughout the left half and the back portion.

Definitely a Rev A.000 machine but still, boy, I really can't imagine what happens when you load up that CPU and GPU on that demo MacBook Pro
  • Reply 14 of 61
    yeah, it's a hot one for sure. laptop cooling pad is the way to go.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I have had my white 2.0ghz Macbook for two days and it's great. It is hot along the top but that might be from being on all day. I have had one problem with file trasfer though. I can't get quicken to recognize the quicken file i transferred from my family's window computer. Other than those, no complaints.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    White 1.83GHz MacBook is all green... by that I mean working very well, I love this computer and while it does get a bit hot it's only in the area where the MagSafe is connected, every where else its very cool.

truthfully it doesn't get any hotter then my Girfriend and one of my best friends Dells, in fact they get a lot hotter... atleast for the moment.

And this computer is also very quiet I have not heard any whine or noise... well except when I put the linkin Park CD in, maybe it's not a LP fan?
  • Reply 17 of 61
    other than overheating, has anyone had other issues, like error messages, freezing, stuff like that?
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

other than overheating, has anyone had other issues, like error messages, freezing, stuff like that?

Not really, just occasional freezing, but I probably caused most of it by having too many applications open and over multi-tasking.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

Not really, just occasional freezing, but I probably caused most of it by having too many applications open and over multi-tasking.

woah, wait a minute, if you are freezing it isn't from multi-tasking unless you are running some crap-ware. I have both a MacBook and iMac that run multiple OS's at the same time (Parallels) running servers and what not along with everything else I throw at it all at the same time, nothing freezes up. You might check your temperature on that thing!!
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

woah, wait a minute, if you are freezing it isn't from multi-tasking unless you are running some crap-ware. I have both a MacBook and iMac that run multiple OS's at the same time (Parallels) running servers and what not along with everything else I throw at it all at the same time, nothing freezes up. You might check your temperature on that thing!!

Yeah that was really vague, sorry, freezing was the wrong word. What I should have said was, "AOL Instant Messaging decides to quit when it would like and occasionally while it's trying to quit I have to force quit it." Also, at first I didn't realize I had to "quit" programs, I'm very green to OS X, and I had gone through every program that was on my computer and opened it without quitting the previous one. Sorry for the lack of specifics. I feel very inadequate. Does, AIM count as crap ware? I don't like it very much for Mac.