http://www.idont.com/

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Apple's campaign is different in a few crucial areas.

The "Think Different" campaign was not insulting for one, merely stating that Apple's products were different, if anything the campaign was saying there was an alternative, as the campaign was practically just those two words.

The new campaign could I suppose be insulting, to a PC. Notice the Apple ads compare the products themselves - even though the products were 'people', the ad was not aimed at criticizing the consumer, whereas the idon't campaign is about the consumer.

The iPod is the best player out there, because it has the right balance. It has some powerful features wrapped in a sleek 'sexy' case. No other player has mixed these features as well, and that's why the iPod is the success it is today.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I agree regarding the "Think Different" campaign. I may not have been clear. I simply meant the "Think Different" campaign no longer applies... I didn't mean to imply that it could be taken as an insult. To be honest... I can see how their current campaign could "theoretically" be insulting to some... I can't really see anyone, in reality, sitting there watching a new Mac commercial saying "How dare they say I'm boring!". Likewise with the iDont.com site. Yeah, it's stupid... but it's just some marketers idea to get visibility for their product. We've just become so politically correct over the past 20 years that people feel they should be offended by something so silly as an ad for an MP3 player. You make an off color joke at work and you get suspended or fired. You touch someones arm... they interpret it as sexual harrassment. You spank your kid and child protective services comes knocking at your door. It's an ad... it's stupid... but it's still just an ad. As others have said, if you don't like it, don't mention it. Anytime you tell someone how bad something is... they almost always invariably have to check it out... and then tell everyone else how bad it is... and they check it out.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    That's absolutely right. Political correctness is completely mad, my only niggle with the idon't campaign is you can't even tell what product it's advertising until you look at the site properly. I can't even remember what the product is.

So, looks as though it's going to be a winner!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    The delicious irony of it is they are claiming iPod users are sheep when they are probably a bunch of Windows-using sheep themselves.

At least Apple's iPod is successful based on it's merits. That's more than Microsoft can say for Windows.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    yonzieyonzie Posts: 1member
    Go here and put in "idont.com".

You will get the following output:

Quote:

\tRegistrant:

\tSanDisk

\t111 Java Drive

\tSunnyvale, CA 94089

\tUS

\t

\tDomain Name: IDONT.COM

\tAdministrative Contact , Technical Contact : \t

\tAdministrator, Domain

\t[email protected]

\t111 Java Drive

\tSunnyvale, CA 94089

\tUS

\tPhone: 408-542-0500

This proves beyond all doubt that this is nothing more than a bad attempt at viral marketing. If in doubt, google the phone number for confirmation.

Shame on you SanDisk!
  • Reply 26 of 33
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yonzie

Shame on you SanDisk!

Take it easy, Gonzo. It's just marketing.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    HOW DARE SOMEONE ATTEMPT TO MAKE AN ATTEMPT ON APPLE'S OUTRIGHT DOMINATION OF THE MARKET! HOW DARE THEY!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

HOW DARE SOMEONE ATTEMPT TO MAKE AN ATTEMPT ON APPLE'S OUTRIGHT DOMINATION OF THE MARKET! HOW DARE THEY!

How dare they make such a weak one, though?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

I KNOW. OUTRAGEOUS. I MEAN, I CAN'T EVEN CALM DOWN, AND IT'S BEEN DAYS!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

I KNOW. OUTRAGEOUS. I MEAN, I CAN'T EVEN CALM DOWN, AND IT'S BEEN DAYS!

• Reply 31 of 33
  • Reply 32 of 33
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    Quote:

It's so pathetic in both it's approach and execution though, that I'm not sure it even deserves to be called an "attempt"

It's more like a publicity stunt that will go almost completely un-noticed by the general public. Pointless, in other words.

Now, coming up with a product that is demonstrably better than the iPod in a number of ways and advertising it on its merits--- that would be a novel idea.

This silliness is just a sad joke at best though.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    If Apple did a smear campaign on PC-using sheep, you people would eat that shit up.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of traditional advertising. Viral campaigns and campaigns based solely on humor or gimmicks get annoying.