Could Apple release a v of Mac OS for the MIT laptop?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it possible to tell with what information is available about the laptop MIT is developing? If it is feasible, do you think Apple might consider doing this?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by LotharSNL

    Is it possible to tell with what information is available about the laptop MIT is developing? If it is feasible, do you think Apple might consider doing this?



    Nope. Apple is in the business to make money.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by LotharSNL

    Is it possible to tell with what information is available about the laptop MIT is developing? If it is feasible, do you think Apple might consider doing this?



    Apple offered to provide MacOS X to the project, but it was rejected.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    Apple offered to provide MacOS X to the project, but it was rejected.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Nope. Apple is in the business to make money.



    Good job! Think before you post next time.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    rminklerrminkler Posts: 50member
    One of the development criteria for the MIT laptop is that it use only open source software. Apple offered to provide free OS X licenses for the machines, but was not willing to open source Mac OS X (for obvious reasons) so the developers of the MIT laptop were obliged to turn the offer down.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Nope. Apple is in the business to make money.



    They're also in the business to increase brand awareness. Providing their commercial OS for free to poor uneducated African children that couldn't possibly benefit from a laptop anyway (but hey, it makes for great press coverage!) will create hype around Apple, make them popular, positive, etc.



    Of course, MIT is even more retarded than you'd think; they want the OS to be "free". Yes, I'm sure a Malaria-infected child's biggest worry is recompiling the Linux kernel.



    Maybe I'm on the verge of turning this into a political flame fest, but I don't care. I have no respect for this project. None. It's not racism; quite the opposite.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The bigger problem is offering technology to cultures/tribes that couldn't care less for it.



    I don't even know how these people are going to figure how this thing works. Most africans (the ones in rural areas and out in the middle of nowhere) barely know how to read or write in their own tongue let alone read/write english (or whatever language pack will be installed with the Linux OS.)



    And this computer will get banged around...nobody's gonna remember to close the flaps to protect ports or understand that it's bad to poke the LCD screen...



    Africans already have many worries...why introduce a new source of stress with technology they don't understand.



    Pretend like aliens have landed and you've managed to sneak into their spaceship while they were out...what do you do when you're in the cockpit with alien technology? You scratch your head, that's what you do.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Well my favorite (if desperately sad) thing about technology in Africa, is one of the AIDS retrovirus pharmaceuticals defense against more free drugs, to wit: the cocktail of drugs requires administration at precise times, every day. The majority of Africans do not own watches.





    I think there are many more pressing things then providing low cost laptops to Africans. The AIDS infection rate in some countries is at 40% and climbing not to mention ongoing civil war throughout large chunks of the continent (A classic example was the Hutu rebellion in 1970 in Burundi: the Hutus chopped up 10,000 Tutsi, and the Tutsis upped the ante by killing 150,000 Hutu. Heck forget that; the official death toll in the world's biggest war, ongoing in Congo since 1945, 3 million people.



    To put it bluntly, fuck the laptops.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    The bigger problem is offering technology to cultures/tribes that couldn't care less for it.



    I don't even know how these people are going to figure how this thing works. Most africans (the ones in rural areas and out in the middle of nowhere) barely know how to read or write in their own tongue let alone read/write english (or whatever language pack will be installed with the Linux OS.)



    And this computer will get banged around...nobody's gonna remember to close the flaps to protect ports or understand that it's bad to poke the LCD screen...



    Africans already have many worries...why introduce a new source of stress with technology they don't understand.



    Pretend like aliens have landed and you've managed to sneak into their spaceship while they were out...what do you do when you're in the cockpit with alien technology? You scratch your head, that's what you do.






    Reading that shows me how you have absolutely no idea what your talking about, who the laptop is for or what the majority of modern day africa is even like.



    Jesus christ you speak about it like it's a 1950's movie.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    Reading that shows me how you have absolutely no idea what your talking about, who the laptop is for or what the majority of modern day africa is even like.



    Jesus christ you speak about it like it's a 1950's movie.



    You gotta love bold empty claims such as yours.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    You gotta love bold empty clames such as yours.



    I am in total agreement with ecking on this one. Clearly, a couple of the most recent posts in this thread reveal that the posters have never been to Africa and don't know anyone who has ever been there.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That was dumb that they rejected OS X. Real dumb. Gee I wonder what is easier to use, Linux or OS X? And I wonder what has a vastly better library of software? Etc, etc, etc, etc. These open source people are the most close-minded people.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    They're also in the business to increase brand awareness. Providing their commercial OS for free to poor uneducated African children that couldn't possibly benefit from a laptop anyway (but hey, it makes for great press coverage!) will create hype around Apple, make them popular, positive, etc.



    Of course, MIT is even more retarded than you'd think; they want the OS to be "free". Yes, I'm sure a Malaria-infected child's biggest worry is recompiling the Linux kernel.



    Maybe I'm on the verge of turning this into a political flame fest, but I don't care. I have no respect for this project. None. It's not racism; quite the opposite.




    The problems are as follows:

    They wanted it open source, they want to be able to retool the OS kernal, drivers, and so on to work at peak efficincy and preformance. and a OSX solution didnt do that; do they opted to roll their own linux+KDE/Gnome+firefoxs+OOo solution that they could customize to the umpteenth degree.



    The project is about providing the poor with computers, but it is also serving as a roadmap and blazing a trail for 100% end to end open source solutions, the hardware schematic, the software, everything.



    If it costs them 100$ to manufactre, they could easily resell such a device to college kids and people who do low intencity tasks like web, basic documents and so on for $250 and make a killing; more than enough to keep the project building for the less fortunate in other parts of the world. The OSX licence may not look so kindly on that.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    The bigger problem is offering technology to cultures/tribes that couldn't care less for it.



    That isn't true at all. First off, it is supposed to primarily be a learning tool for the schools. Secondly, jobs like data entry are becoming more in demand. Even in 3rd world countries. Will this solve all their problems? Of course not, but if you think they don't want or need computers then you just don't know what your talking about.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    The problems are as follows:

    They wanted it open source, they want to be able to retool the OS kernal, drivers, and so on to work at peak efficincy and preformance. and a OSX solution didnt do that; do they opted to roll their own linux+KDE/Gnome+firefoxs+OOo solution that they could customize to the umpteenth degree



    Because we all know Firefox's Gecko engine is lightweight and fit for this purpose.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    And I love people who can spell.



    I'm terribly sorry I have insulted you by the fact that I've had the inconceivable, terrible boldness to actually make a spelling mistake. Because, after all, that happens an awful lot in my posts, and my language (which isn't even my native one) is generally so terrible it's near-impossible to read what the fuck I'm writing!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    Reading that shows me how you have absolutely no idea what your talking about, who the laptop is for or what the majority of modern day africa is even like.



    Jesus christ you speak about it like it's a 1950's movie.




    Dude...I've spent 3 years in Ivory Coast (from 1996-1998 ). If that's the 1950's to you, fine...but lemme tell you, only about 1% of africans live in wealth and in large 'modern' cities.



    Has anyone refuting my point actually been to african countries (ones that aren't in the maghreb area or South Africa)?



    The computer isn't targeted to the rich africans...this is a computer for villages that are 30 kilometers away from a well...fetch water or use computer...you pick what they're going to do first. Oh that's right, this must be the 1950's africa...these guys probably have cars and trucks now.



    ecking...have you any clue of what you're talking about? Are you ignorant? How old are you?
  • Reply 17 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Dude...I've spent 3 years in Ivory Coast (from 1996-1998 ). If that's the 1950's to you, fine...but lemme tell you, only about 1% of africans live in wealth and in large 'modern' cities.



    ...




    Seen one way, your assertion that "1% of africans live in wealth and in large 'modern' cities" is unexceptional. Even in the USA, arguably the richest nation on Earth, this is probably true. Since these computers are specifically targeted at the poor, I don't see why you even bring this up as an issue.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    Seen one way, your assertion that "1% of africans live in wealth and in large 'modern' cities" is unexceptional. Even in the USA, arguably the richest nation on Earth, this is probably true. Since these computers are specifically targeted at the poor, I don't see why you even bring this up as an issue.



    Because the poor, in this case, aren't the "$20k/year" type of 'poor'. They're the $20 a year type. These guys have much more pressing things to worry about that using a computer that doesn't even display a GUI they understand...things such as being able to eat and actually survive an entire day.



    Please read up on african issues before hitting the reply button...I don't have much time to argue with someone that is living in blissful ignorance.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Because the poor, in this case, aren't the "$20k/year" type of 'poor'. They're the $20 a year type. These guys have much more pressing things to worry about that using a computer that doesn't even display a GUI they understand...things such as being able to eat and actually survive an entire day.



    Please read up on african issues before hitting the reply button...I don't have much time to argue with someone that is living in blissful ignorance.




    I see now. First off, not wealthy is not the same as poor. Someone making $20k/yr is better classified as working class. For those who didn't know, Hurricane Katrina taught them that a significant number of USA citizens earn much less than $20k/yr. Scattered across the USA are citizens who are as poor as any in the Third World.



    No one would object to charitable donations of computers to poor Americans. Poor Africans deserve the same respect. (African in this context is a proper noun which is properly capitalized.)
  • Reply 20 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    I see now. First off, not wealthy is not the same as poor. Someone making $20k/yr is better classified as working class. For those who didn't know, Hurricane Katrina taught them that a significant number of USA citizens earn much less than $20k/yr. Scattered across the USA are citizens who are as poor as any in the Third World.



    No one would object to charitable donations of computers to poor Americans. Poor Africans deserve the same respect. (African in this context is a proper noun which is properly capitalized.)




    I don't think this computer is marketed to poor Americans...though it could be, it's not. And even if it was, poor Americans and poor Africans and poor anybody wouldn't be spending money on a computer.
Sign In or Register to comment.