Briefly: Adobe plans, QuickTime 7.1.1, iWeb 1.1.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe Systems is continuing to divulge details of its future software product plans in tiny bits and pieces. Meanwhile, Apple over the last week has released several minor software updates.

GoLive gets the boot

Adobe will discontinue its GoLive web authoring application prior to the release of Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 in second quarter of 2007.

The announcement was made by Robert Raiola, the company's Director of European Marketing at the Adobe Live Conference in London. He said GoLive will be replaced by a new version of Dreamweaver, which Adobe picked up in its acquisition of Macromedia.

The new version will reportedly be released as part of Creative Suite 3 and will feature an updated interface to integrate with other applications in Adobe's Creative Suite.

Meanwhile, there are conflicting reports over the fate of Macromedia's Freehand illustration application, which has been regarded as a competitor to Adobe's Illustrator for the better part of its existence.

While one Web report claims the software will also be axed in favor of Illustrator, Alexander Hopstein, Adobe's PR manager for central and Eastern Europe, said the application will remain a standalone product and that the company has scheduled a maintenance release of the product for later this year.

iWeb 1.1.1

On Friday Apple released iWeb 1.1.1 (88.8MB), which includes refinements to the software's comment and search support for blogs and podcasts published to .Mac. It also resolves a some issues related to publishing sites to .Mac.

SuperDrive Firmware Update v2.0

On Wednesday, Apple posted SuperDrive Firmware Update v2.0 (7.3MB) to its support site. The update fixes burning speeds when writing to certain recordable DVD media. It's compatible with PowerBook G4 (12 -inch 1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.33GHz, 1.5GHz, or 1.67GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz), iMac G5 (17-inch 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz), iMac G5 (20-inch 1.8GHz) and Mac mini G4.

QuickTime 7.1.1

Also on Wednesday, Apple released a "highly recommended" QuickTime 7.1.1 (49.4MB) update, which delivers numerous bug fixes, support for iLife06, and H.264 performance improvements. The update also addresses an issue with 3rd party start-up items on Intel Macs and fixes an issue exporting to Keynote presentations to iDVD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I wonder if Adobe is trying to spin Freehand off as a separate product/purpose. In other words, keep the name but change the purpose.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I guess I'm the last of the GoLive users who's disappointed by this news. Maybe if they come out with a Universal Binary of Dreamweaver "soon", I'll cheer up a bit.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I, for one, have decided to switch to Freeway (barring any major problems).

It's been a universal binary for a while, and has an interesting approach to web design. The latest version also has a lot of advanced features.

Check it out at http://www.softpress.com
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by sharp_spot

I guess I'm the last of the GoLive users who's disappointed by this news. Maybe if they come out with a Universal Binary of Dreamweaver "soon", I'll cheer up a bit.

You're not alone. While Dreamweaver may be technologically superior, I find GoLive to be far more user friendly and superior in many other ways.

I refuse to use Dreamweaver unless Adobe can seriously overhaul it.

I'll probably give Freeway a try.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Dang.

So much for the free market system improving consumer choice.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I too am dissapointed that GoLive will be no more. I thought it was a decent program that was easy to use.

As for Freehand, I liked that over Illustrator.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    i was a golive user from back when it was still called cyberstudio and continued to use it up to about ver 5. i switched jobs some time during the later part of that period and dreamweaver was the preferred web development app at the new shop. i thought i would hate it and would continue to use golive on the side with certain tasks. but, as i grew more accustomed to its work flow, i began to realize that dreamweaver was a superior application. it just made more sense.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I, for one, have decided to switch to Freeway (barring any major problems).

It's been a universal binary for a while, and has an interesting approach to web design. The latest version also has a lot of advanced features.

Check it out at http://www.softpress.com

CRAP,, JUSt Crap... Sorry had to say it.. payed customer.. never got what was needed out of it...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    bauchbauch Posts: 20member
    Finally a fix for those Superdrives!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Quicktime update is a bit buggy. The guide opens less smoothly than it used to before the update. It got confused a few times when trying to open the guide. Maybe we will see 10.4.7 soon, and that will clear up this issue?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by graphicbreak

I too am dissapointed that GoLive will be no more. I thought it was a decent program that was easy to use.

As for Freehand, I liked that over Illustrator.

I know that Freehand is favored over Illstrator by comic book artists, but for more general use, nearly everyone else uses Illustrator. I favor Illustrator because it was the first professional app I learned how to use. I don't like recent versions of it, just too damn full of fluff to be useful.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Adobe took the only advantage FreeHand had a version or two ago: it's superior tracing tool built in to the application, instead of the stand alone application (Streamline), and it's superior gradients. Adobe's current solutions are as good or better. Freehand's dead. YEAH!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's very confusing. Adobe denies discontinuing GoLive and Freehand.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/31/adobe/index.php
  • Reply 14 of 16
    joeurbjoeurb Posts: 3member
    The Superdrive update has issues. Only certain model drives are supported, which are not detailed in the update list... only computer models, which may contain any one of several drive models, and this update is only for certain ones, but no one seems to want to tell us which ones...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    reidsterreidster Posts: 8member
    Quarter 2? Ouch. InDesign is painful in Rosetta. Using "Typical Display" graphics mode, it scrolls through documents unresponsively on my 20" intel, The Mac mini 1.25 is much faster, and is still more responsive when in "High Quality Display" mode. Still, Quarter 2? No wonder my Apple shares are under $60.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Heh. The GoLive vs Dreamweaver and Freehand vs Illustrator debate. Really comes down to personal preference. I used to be/ am more of a Dreamweaver and Illustrator kid.

I'm in no way a hardcore drawing type person, so I just get by with Illustrator. But I know designers that really realllly stand by Freehand.

GoLive used to bug the HELL out of me, from its earlier incarnations to whatever the latest bloatware(!?) was. Personally, I would say good riddance to GoLive.