Best Buy may expand Mac pilot program

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Bestbuy will never push apple stuff for one reason and one reason only.

Bestbuy makes next to no profit margin on apple stuff because apple sells it to them at such high prices. That's why bestbuy corporation doesn't give a crap about apple.

That is true! ... to an extent!

The Apple model for product pricing and margins is not the market norm. They don't treat computers as commodities in the same way as traditional companies like HP, which force low supply costs and a bigger margin for the middle man. Dell made its killing by eliminating the middle man in that system. Apple runs computer manufacturing and sales like Bose makes music systems with high end components (that is arguable of course), little profit to the middle man and most profit to Apple.

Where this business model works is in the add-on market. Just like with iPods and XBoxes, it is about giving customers all of those extras once they purchase the big ticket item. And that is why Best Buy COULD do well with Macs and probably why they are even trying it out. If they can make a mini version of an Apple store in one aisle, they can show off the Macs, sell enough to pay for the shelf space and reap the big money on printers, BT doohickies and 5-button mice! That may not seem like much, but look at the iPod economy and you'll see it is huge.

And the great thing about Apple products for them, is if the BestBuy store is in a market with few Apple Store or resellers and they sell one Mac to someone, give them decent service so they have a reason to return and upgrade - they have a customer for life! If I were BestBuy, that is the gamble I would be making. Besides as Dell has pushed other manufacturers out of business and as Sony and HP have pushed other venders off the shelves there is less competition and to be honest product on all of those shelves that used to have such a huge diversity of products. In short I believe shelf space in the computer section of most big electronics stores isn't as expensive as it used to be. Can anyone who works in one confirm that or am I just whistling out my eustachian tube?!?!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=2

Commoditization has created a much less diverse ecology out there and fewer species can survive. They either have to get big and bad like Dell or smart and nimble like Apple. BestBuy would do well to keep the habitat friendly for both.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    I agree with the majority of posters that feel this will be a failure. Look at CompUSA. CompUSA is and always has been very poor. Best Buy, even for PCs, has terrible service. It's generally a bunch of teenagers with attitudes that care more about what time they're off then advising customers with their purchases. I live in California, and I can tell you this behavior is commonplace. I guarantee that they will do nothing to help Apple by promoting Macs. A PC is much easier to sell for them.

Having said that, I'm going to be one of those that goes to Best Buy and fixes the Macs to make sure they work! I do this at CompUSA all the time. It's a shame though that those who sell these products can't even seem to get them working so users who are interested can test them.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    When the Lafayette Indiana store set up a Mac Mini about a year ago, the f**kers TOOK OFF the keyboard and mouse and put it in screensaver scrolling through photos of the Geeksquad dorks making faces!

NO JOKE!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

When the Lafayette Indiana store set up a Mac Mini about a year ago, the f**kers TOOK OFF the keyboard and mouse and put it in screensaver scrolling through photos of the Geeksquad dorks making faces!

NO JOKE!

also...when I asked about it, I was told that the KB and mouse were sold sepratly so they would not be displayed, so as not to confuse people, I then asked if it included the Sony monitor or Belkin security lock that were part of the display; he said NO and walked away nervously...
  • Reply 25 of 29
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

also...when I asked about it, I was told that the KB and mouse were sold sepratly so they would not be displayed, so as not to confuse people, I then asked if it included the Sony monitor or Belkin security lock that were part of the display; he said NO and walked away nervously...

I saw the same shit at a local bestbuy, except to make matters worse they mounted the mini on a shelf above the monitor and to the side! Even I couldn't figure out where the hell the continuous screen saver was coming from at first. Retards.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

That is true! ... to an extent!

The Apple model for product pricing and margins is not the market norm. They don't treat computers as commodities in the same way as traditional companies like HP, which force low supply costs and a bigger margin for the middle man. Dell made its killing by eliminating the middle man in that system. Apple runs computer manufacturing and sales like Bose makes music systems with high end components (that is arguable of course), little profit to the middle man and most profit to Apple.

Where this business model works is in the add-on market. Just like with iPods and XBoxes, it is about giving customers all of those extras once they purchase the big ticket item. And that is why Best Buy COULD do well with Macs and probably why they are even trying it out. If they can make a mini version of an Apple store in one aisle, they can show off the Macs, sell enough to pay for the shelf space and reap the big money on printers, BT doohickies and 5-button mice! That may not seem like much, but look at the iPod economy and you'll see it is huge.

And the great thing about Apple products for them, is if the BestBuy store is in a market with few Apple Store or resellers and they sell one Mac to someone, give them decent service so they have a reason to return and upgrade - they have a customer for life! If I were BestBuy, that is the gamble I would be making. Besides as Dell has pushed other manufacturers out of business and as Sony and HP have pushed other venders off the shelves there is less competition and to be honest product on all of those shelves that used to have such a huge diversity of products. In short I believe shelf space in the computer section of most big electronics stores isn't as expensive as it used to be. Can anyone who works in one confirm that or am I just whistling out my eustachian tube?!?!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=2

Commoditization has created a much less diverse ecology out there and fewer species can survive. They either have to get big and bad like Dell or smart and nimble like Apple. BestBuy would do well to keep the habitat friendly for both.

Excellent point! Lets hope bestbuy has smartened up and realized this!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    Overall I'm excited about this because I don't live near an Apple store but I do live near a BB store so it will make it easier for me to get my hands on Apple stuff.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

The sales associates at Best Buy will push which ever they are told to. It all depends on which product makes more profit for the company overall... If selling an HP brings in $300, and selling a Mac brings in $200, they will push the HP, and let the Mac get dusty.

It's all about making money for the company.

In response to this last comment I beg to differ. I am new to the company and even though I lack apple knowledge I wouldn't hesitate to ask a few of these kids for information. I've gotten to know these kids who work there and many are very knowledgeable in the area of mac's .Most who are out to buy an apple product have already done thier research and know what they want and no matter what a sales associate says they would never detour to a PC over a mac in the few weeks i've worked there the training has been in ensuring the customers needs are met by finding out what thier lifestyles are and fitting thier purchase to thier needs NOT the companys need for profit they are big enough to succeed without pursuading customers to buy things they don't need which causes returns and unhappy customers and loss in profit.So if a few of you have had bad experiences due to the lack of reading your service contracts and ASKING the proper questions don't blame it on the kids, I personally build rapport with my customers ask what THEY want and by thier needs make a suggestion and yes I offer service because I believe in them i've used them from many retailers and have always had a great experence because I read what my service covers and DON'T blame others for my mistake of not asking questions .I also have worked directly with APPLE reps and it is thier responsibility to ensure the store's employee's are trained to know what the new products entail and what thier capabilities are.So I am truely sorry for your unfortunate experience but instead of slamming others why don't you try taking the blame for your own mistakes instead of bad mouthing others for your lack in judgement, do your RESEARCH before you buy thats what the internet is for then make your purchase from your own perspective if you don't feel comfortable with purchasing from bestbuy go to an apple store.Good luck in your future purchases and please do yourself a favor and READ the brochure's that they have on the service before you buy not everyone has a computer brain and can remember every detail that a service contract covers thats why best buy has it in writing and has it displayed through out the store for you to grab and read up on it. Take care.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    And coming up next on Flashback... the Beach Boys.