Apple blunder blamed for MacBook heat issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In a new article on its support Web site this week, Apple acknowledges that some 13-inch MacBooks may run warmer than normal due to a small oversight where some of the notebooks shipped with a plastic strip blocking the rear exhaust vent.

"Some MacBook computers may appear to be running too warm, with the fan running consistently and heat emanating from the top and/or the bottom of the computer," Apple said. "If this happens with your MacBook, check the rear vent of the MacBook to make sure it's not blocked."

The company admits that "some MacBooks may have left the factory with a thin piece of clear plastic covering the rear vent." MacBook owners who find this plastic film covering their notebook's rear vent (where the screen and keyboard almost meet) should "simply remove and discard it."

Apple applies this material during manufacturing to prevent dust from getting into the computer.

Several bloggers last week brought attention to the issue when they discovered the thin piece of plastic was the cause of their unusually warm MacBooks. After removing it, they noticed the notebooks ran much cooler.

Still, some users will find that their MacBooks run fairly warm (or hot) even without any obstructions. Apple says this is typical due to the extremely powerful processors installed in notebook PCs these days.

"The bottom surface and some areas between the keyboard and LCD hinge of your Apple notebook computer can become hot after extended periods of use. This is normal operating behavior," the company explains in an article on notebook operating temperatures. "With processor and bus speeds in portable computers often matching, if not exceeding, those of desktop systems, increased operating temperatures in portable computing products are common throughout the industry."

Simply remove and discard the thin plastic film.

For prolonged use of an iBook, PowerBook, MacBook or MacBook Pro, Apple recommends placing the notebooks on a flat stable surface. "Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods," the company says. "Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    d'oh!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Interesting. Still no comment on the thermal paste. I know a guy who is going to re-apply Arctic Silver as soon as he gets his MacBook. We'll see how his before and after temps go.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Uh, how's that switch to "lower power, faster, cooler" Intel chips looking now?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Time to bring back a compact Macbook Pro model with an aluminum case. Aluminum can dissipate heat far better than plastic can. Although my 12" Powerbook gets plenty warm while playing a movie.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Uh, how's that switch to "lower power, faster, cooler" Intel chips looking now?

It's going great.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    No problems with my MacBook. I've run it hard for hours and sure it got hot, but no more than any other portable.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

Time to bring back a compact Macbook Pro model with an aluminum case.

I guess we can agree on something!

I waited until the MacBook non-Pro came out before making a decision, then grudgingly decided to get a 15" MBP instead of a 13" MB, but I really wanted the non-existent 13" MBP.

My MBP can get a bit toasty too, but it's not unbearable.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyKrz

No problems with my MacBook. I've run it hard for hours and sure it got hot, but no more than any other portable.

But can you actualy use it on yr lap. Or is it REALY hot as all the others say?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyKrz

The Apple 'books run hotter than portables that use the L2x00 chips. Maybe about the same as other portables using the T2x00 chips.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I've never had my MacBook get unbearably hot. It does get toasty... and if you're wearing shorts or something... you will probably break out in a sweat. I have a pretty high tolerance for heat though... what might be bearable for me... might not be to someone else. I don't think it gets hot enough to actually "burn" anything or anyone.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I've never had my MacBook get unbearably hot. It does get toasty... and if you're wearing shorts or something... you will probably break out in a sweat. I have a pretty high tolerance for heat though... what might be bearable for me... might not be to someone else. I don't think it gets hot enough to actually "burn" anything or anyone.

I don't think anyone has claimed that it gets hot enough to burn, but I still think it is plenty uncomfortable. I think the heat is intolerable for what people mistakenly refer to as a laptop computer. It does get quite a bit hotter and heats up quicker than my previous notebook.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I don't think anyone has claimed that it gets hot enough to burn,

Actually, Apple itself says it could have the potential to cause a burn (probably first degree, if it did), as noted by the last sentence in the article above.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I can deal with a little heat, I won't use it naked. Just fix my processor buzzing noise and I will be happy. \
  • Reply 14 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

You can get burned without realising it. The temp doesn't have to be hot enough to actually "burn" your skin. But if it's hot enough, it can damage the tissue over a long enough period. You might not notice that happening until it's too late. The way a sunburn doesn't bother you until later.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    The thermal paste issue is a non-issue; see the article below:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=1
  • Reply 16 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I use it naked all the time. After all, it does have a built in iSight.

Who is naked? You or the MB?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

But can you actualy use it on yr lap. Or is it REALY hot as all the others say?

Well, really hot is a very personal opinion, not to say

a very subjective impression. I really love taking a bath

with 50°C water in it, my wife finds that unbearable,

not to say a torture.

While some people (e.g. my wife) don't dare to put my PB 12"

onto her laps under some particular circumstances, others

(me included) don't care about the heat, because there is

no heat. It is an issue which is pretty much negligible. imho.

cheers
  • Reply 18 of 20
    When i first got my 17" mbp, i thought it got pretty hot... after a while though, you just stop noticing it... \\

btw apple rulez
  • Reply 19 of 20
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bedouin

The thermal paste issue is a non-issue; see the article below:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=1

I've seen 3 of these articles (including this one).

The other 2 measured from the heatpipe itself (you know, where it matters).. after 20 minutes of dvd encoding, one article stated a difference of 20°F. The other article showed a passive temperature difference of ~10°F.

Ten to Twenty.

No, it's not a non-issue... unless you just use TextEdit all day or are just concerned about burning your lap.