MacBook Pro in August?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do you think the MacBook Pro (specifically the 17") will be at all different come August? I?ve decided on the 17? and "need" to have it by mid August. My question is, do you think it worth waiting or should I just get it now?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Probably only minor changes, a small speed bump perhaps. Again, if there are major changes, there will be a tweaking period to get rid of bugs, design flaws, etc. Buy now.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    squiremsquirem Posts: 29member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Bergermeister

    Probably only minor changes, a small speed bump perhaps. Again, if there are major changes, there will be a tweaking period to get rid of bugs, design flaws, etc. Buy now.



    Thanks Bergermeister. Any other thoughts?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I am waiting till August to buy a MBP. The main reason is because they are going to be 64bit chips. I would much rather have a 64bit chip and holding out for two months really isnt going to kill me anymore. I would wait, you said you didnt need one till mid august anyway. I think it would be worth the wait.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Thoughts on what? If you are looking for buying advice and perhaps still deciding between MB and MBP, search the threads here. There are several threads dealing with that, especially for students. If you are asking about updates, well, Apple might improve the screen.



    Let us know what you "need" it for and we can give you better advice.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    squiremsquirem Posts: 29member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Bergermeister

    Let us know what you "need" it for and we can give you better advice.



    I going on a trip for work and it would be very helpful to have. As for usage... internet, email, word, xcel, power point, music, games (mostly PC) and DVDs, more or less in that order. I have an external HD so I imagined I'd get the 100Gb running at 7200 rpm. I'll eventually add an extra Gig of RAM, but not for a while.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SquireM

    I going on a trip for work and it would be very helpful to have. As for usage... internet, email, word, xcel, power point, music, games (mostly PC) and DVDs, more or less in that order. I have an external HD so I imagined I'd get the 100Gb running at 7200 rpm. I'll eventually add an extra Gig of RAM, but not for a while.



    oh... Except for the games and the other Microsoft shit (I use Adobe CS and Filemaker Pro instead) the same stuff I do with my 6 years old Pismo.



    I won't recommend a 17" Lapzilla for a trip.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Digital Disasta

    I am waiting till August to buy a MBP. The main reason is because they are going to be 64bit chips. I would much rather have a 64bit chip and holding out for two months really isnt going to kill me anymore. I would wait, you said you didnt need one till mid august anyway. I think it would be worth the wait.



    I would be very impressed by Apple if they are able to ship a Merom MBP in august.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Apple Roadmap = Intel roadmap



    One of the major change with the intel partnership, is like unlike the old times, we know the roadmap of Apple. Considering that most of the design is performed by Intel, Apple gets the new technology whenever Intel will bring it on the table.



    So if you want to know Apple future, look at Intel Roadmap. A merom is due this year. I don't know for august, but it's possible to see it for september.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 893member
    I have a 15 1.5 PB that I've traveled with on overseas business trips and consider it to be as large as a person would want for travel. But then I'm 60+ and don't want the extra burden of a 17". (I also tend to buy a lot of stuff for family when on these trips and need the spare space and weight for purchases!)



    In terms of a new processor, I agree that Apple will be releasing new chips as soon as Intel (and the competition) puts them on the market. It's going to be a major change for Mac users after the slow pace of the PPC world. Since I don't need to upgrade on an urgent basis I'm waiting until Merom gets released and the production has settled down I figure that around Feb/Mar 07 the MBP should be one fast notebook, more than justifying the upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    bizmacbizmac Posts: 20member
    And why not seeing some Conroe MacBooks PRO.



    If the processor is so powerful and without a lot of dissipating energy it will be easy to plug it into a MacBook already running an Intel Core Duo. The solution will be more powerful than the Merom due at the end of the year,



    So Merom for MacBooks and Conroe for MBP...could be nice!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    My bet is october for new MBPs
  • Reply 12 of 24
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Bizmac

    And why not seeing some Conroe MacBooks PRO.



    If the processor is so powerful and without a lot of dissipating energy it will be easy to plug it into a MacBook already running an Intel Core Duo. The solution will be more powerful than the Merom due at the end of the year,



    So Merom for MacBooks and Conroe for MBP...could be nice!




    Yea, and considering the heat that the current MBP's already give off, it could also cause a trip to the hospital.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Can I get a new POWERMAC before the MacBooks get a new upgrade please?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Northgate

    Can I get a new POWERMAC before the MacBooks get a new upgrade please?



    Sure, they are still for sale.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Bizmac

    And why not seeing some Conroe MacBooks PRO.



    If the processor is so powerful and without a lot of dissipating energy it will be easy to plug it into a MacBook already running an Intel Core Duo. The solution will be more powerful than the Merom due at the end of the year,



    So Merom for MacBooks and Conroe for MBP...could be nice!




    It would probably produce about double the heat of a Merom notebook. Not that a notebook couldn't be done, only that it would need a fan, a large case, be heavy and have shit battery life. Other than that, it would rock. Merom will be pretty sweet if it lives up to Intel's predictions. No need for Conroe notebooks. But if that's what you're looking for, some pc vendor will probably make one.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Heres my dilemma... I'm looking at getting a MBP, but I wont be getting one until i've sold my current PM G5, PC and iBook so that i can afford it.



    It will probably be 20 - 30 days until I've sold these Items, and each day its getting closer and closer to a MBP update.



    THe 15" MBP came out in January, so by the time I look to buying one, they will be 6months old - which is a bit too close to an update for my liking.



    Looks like I'll have to sell the PMG5 before the price plummets on arrival of the new Intel Mac Pros, and then live with my PC until the MPB is updated



    PowerBooks used to get updates between September and October, i'll assume it stays similar now with MBP... I can wait a few months...I think!
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    My bet is october for new MBPs



    So Apple's just going to sit on their ass for two months while Dell, HP and Sony ship Merom laptops?



    This is the new world of Intel, people. Apple announced Yonah products within days of their competitors and they'll do the exact same thing for Merom (and every other major chip Intel ever ships).
  • Reply 18 of 24
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

    So Apple's just going to sit on their ass for two months while Dell, HP and Sony ship Merom laptops?



    This is the new world of Intel, people. Apple announced Yonah products within days of their competitors and they'll do the exact same thing for Merom (and every other major chip Intel ever ships).




    Exactly. How the hell are they gonna sell $2500 MBP with yonah when pc vendors will have $1500 merom notebooks? Powerdoc hit the nail on the head when he said 'Apple's roadmap is Intel's roadmap'. I think merom notebooks will at least be sold (orders taken) in August.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    My bet is october for new MBPs



    But what about regular MacBooks?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    If you need it in August, then that's when you'll buy it.



    Otherwise, you don't really need it.
Sign In or Register to comment.