Finder rant!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Riiiiiiight.

Instead of pointing out that there might be better ways of working with his files (like, say, knowing how to efficiently navigate the save dialog), you would instead insist on completely new tools be added to the Finder, and for him to just tough it out while waiting for them.

Good call.

Really.

"Why the heck doesn't random action A work?!? And no, I'm not interested in learning anything new." is the approach of the ignorant, Placebo.

God forbid he learn anything new about the OS.

*shrug* Not my problem anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    How about some real discussion about the Finder though?? I think that the biggest problem with the Finder is two things:

a) It needs to be multi-threading aware. The fact that I am getting a spinning beach ball when copying files from one part of my disk to another is almost inexcusable. Mind you, if anyone has any good ideas about an immediate fix, I would be most happy about that.

b) Its networking code seriously needs a major overhaul. Copying things across the network should not take as long as it does. This is primarily with the Samba piece of the code. Its AppleTalk has advanced quite a bit.

I would like to see something like a navigation or where I am at in the structure. Maybe even a fast way to get back in the structure. For example, in Gnome I can click on a place in the path I am at to jump back to there. I am certain that Apple could do it much more elegantly.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the Finder in Leopard? Does anyone have anything to say about it?? I remember that months before Tiger came out, there were lots of different rumors about it. However, there have been pitifully few about Leopard. Anyone have anything even remotely close to a rumor about it?
  • Reply 23 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh come on... how often do you *really* have to do that one *specific* action? So much that it needs it's *own command*?

Honestly,

So really, it's an argument of what should be in the contextual menu. My opinion? It should be customizable. Have the user just drag in whatever frequently-used Finder commends he desires so he can have them with a single right- or control-click.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    I want a button you press where the contents of the finder window miniaturize into a little square as other little squares representing other folders fade in. They are organized in rows: a square to the left or right of your recently-miniaturized folder is a folder in the same directory; the row above it is a folder one level up. Then you could click and drag that file over a square at any level of the hierarchy and the row below it would become the folders it contains.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I DON'T see what the problem is when you use column view... anyone?

Ohh!!! Windows Explorer 5ux!!!!! Where's the frickin' column view!!!11!!"??

Answer: Finder aint Explorer. Explorer ain't Finder. Both have advantages. Both have disadvantages.

I'd take column view over cut-and-paste file handling any day.

I don't see what the problem is either. In column view, the column on the left is the parent. Drag file(s) from the right to the left. Done.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    Quote:

I would like to see something like a navigation or where I am at in the structure. Maybe even a fast way to get back in the structure. For example, in Gnome I can click on a place in the path I am at to jump back to there. I am certain that Apple could do it much more elegantly.

Add the "Path" widget to your Finder Toolbar.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Michael_Moriarty: Wonderful. Thanks. I am going to try it now!

No problem. It actually comes in pretty useful.

There is no wrong way to moving files. Everybody works differently. Some prefer the drag & drop method while others prefer the cut & paste method. It basically boils down to user preference.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Add the "Path" widget to your Finder Toolbar.

Ah ha!! Freaking sweet!! Thanks! I love knowing more things about my Mac!!

Again, a thousand thanks!!
  • Reply 29 of 99
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Weird that some people on the forum think I am stupid and don't know anything about the OS...because you all simply don't *know* me. Strange you base your opinion on a forum post.

Okay, the Finder:

I agree with the need for Finder to be threading-aware.

The column view is indeed an option, but it's not very handy if you have to switch from list view to column view, and back all the time. Why the list view? For the extra file info and the sorting options, which is often neccessary. E.g, first sort the column by type, then choose the files which are of type PHP, and then move them. With column view this is not possible.

- A breadcrumb navigation on top that is "spring loadable" is very nice, but then again, as a user, you have to keep your left mouse pressed all the time. Spring folders are cool for a short "trip", but if you have to move through a fairly complex folder structure, it becomes a burden.

Bad metaphor or not, cutting-pasting works like a charm. Never had any data loss, never was confused....it simply works.

- It would be very cool to have the option to show the path in a text input field. Often used in Windows, it allows you to skip all the clicking, and e.g change:

/myfolder/myA/myB/myC/myD/haha/nice/

in

/myfolder/myA/myB/myC/myD new/haha/nice/

without actually going through the folder structure.

Again, a time saver compared to something that already is possible with

the Finder, but doesn't work as well. If you press the shortcut for "go to folder" on the Finder, it shows your last input value.

Besides the fact it would be more logical to integrate this in the Finder window, not a seperate popup, its much more convinient to show the current path in this input box.

- Path Finder (cocoaTech) uses a dropstack. You throw files into a small area, then go to your destination folder, and you move them out of the dropstack again. Handy, but it is flawed because you can't "see" the different stack items (kind of an array). Hard to explain, you'll need to try it and place 2 or 3 selections of files in it.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Chucker, you should replace "CH" with "S", then your username fits your behaviour. Saying "yes, yes it is" is nothing more than trying to piss someone off. Or sarcastic remarks about "the expand button" and so forth.

Well done. You killed the post.

Good job completely not responding to my response.

Please explain to me, for example, what you meant by "and why can't I simply enter a path I want to go to,", when clearly you can.

Quote:

Now go back and play with your dolls.

Never had any, and at my current age, it would be someone unusual, if not inappropriate.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Ah ha!! Freaking sweet!! Thanks! I love knowing more things about my Mac!!

Again, a thousand thanks!!

Or, just command-click on any Finder window title in the title bar of the window, and the path to where you are will appear, and you can choose any of the breadcrumbs to go to that directory (this feature left over from I think OS 7 or 8 ).
  • Reply 32 of 99
    It works for open documents as well. Command-click the icon in the titlebar of ANY document or finder window and it'll show you what folder hierarchy that document is at the end of.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

On Windows I simply do CTRL-X, go to the parent folder and then CTRL-V.

Please don't get me started on "how inconsistent and dangerous it is", because it isn't. That's nonsense.

It is not nonsense. It is either inconsistent, or it is dangerous. If you implement it so that it properly follows the cut-paste metaphor, then it is dangerous as it is easy to accidentally delete a file. If you change the implementation so that it doesn't follow the cut-paste metaphor (as Windows does), to make it less dangerous, then it is inconsistent.

As I said in another thread a while ago:

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

There is a devastatingly simple solution: Have a feature called "move" that has a keyboard shortcut that isn't command-x. Now this can have the same functionality as Windows' file cut and paste, without being called cut and paste, without using the same keyboard shortcut as cut and paste, and therefore not violating any metaphors or introducing any UI inconsistencies.

Quote:

2. Why Finder opens 'classic-look' folders when I am using spring-folders? You know, windows without the top buttons (like when you click on the icon on the right-top of a Window). Now THATS inconsistent.

I've got to agree that the finder does seem to enjoy sometimes picking its own view at random rather than the one you want. It's very annoying and should be easily fixable.

Quote:

3. Why is 'create new folder' missing in the file requester dialogue (e.g selecting a location for a file to save)

Er? It isn't. There's a "new folder" button at the bottom left.

Quote:

and why can't I simply enter a path I want to go to

You can. Type a / or a ~, and a "go to folder" dialogue will appear.

Quote:

and why is the requester ridiculously small?

You can make it bigger by clicking and dragging the "window sizer widget" at the bottom right of the window.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Riiiiiiight.

Instead of pointing out that there might be better ways of working with his files (like, say, knowing how to efficiently navigate the save dialog), you would instead insist on completely new tools be added to the Finder, and for him to just tough it out while waiting for them.

Good call.

Really.

"Why the heck doesn't random action A work?!? And no, I'm not interested in learning anything new." is the approach of the ignorant, Placebo.

God forbid he learn anything new about the OS.

+1
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

How about some real discussion about the Finder though?

Try this thread.

Sidenote: What the hell is up with search on this Forum? I searched for thread titles with "Finder" in them, and the thread I've linked to didn't come up!
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Sidenote: What the hell is up with search on this Forum? I searched for thread titles with "Finder" in them, and the thread I've linked to didn't come up!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=61894
  • Reply 37 of 99
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Mr.H you responded to my first post only, which is not useful, since I elaborated on that post later on and explained what I ment with my first post.

Cut/pasting is not dangerous. Never I had deleted something by accident with this procedure. Tell me how I can, and I'll try this. Also I never heard of people deleting stuff by cutting/pasting in my surroundings. You're just saying this without reality check.

For me this is end of the discussion. I had enough of most of the trolls here.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Mr.H you responded to my first post only, which is not useful, since I elaborated on that post later on and explained what I ment with my first post.

Cut/pasting is not dangerous. Never I had deleted something by accident with this procedure. Tell me how I can, and I'll try this. Also I never heard of people deleting stuff by cutting/pasting in my surroundings. You're just saying this without reality check.

"Finder sucks!"

*various suggestions, marginal prodding*

"STFU TROLLS!"
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:

Mr.H you responded to my first post only, which is not useful,

Yes it is. You made up various claims that have been debunked by me as well as by Mr. H. You never responded to that. You never tried to follow our suggestions.

Quote:

since I elaborated on that post later on and explained what I ment with my first post.

You did not.

Quote:

You're just saying this without reality check.

We're saying this based on millions of dollars invested into Usability research.

Quote:

• Reply 40 of 99
    Cutting and pasting in the Windows Explorer is perfect. Actually, I'd go as far to say that it's the way cutting and pasting should work in all environments, from word processors to Photoshop: until you paste, the cut object should remain there greyed out, so you don't lose track of items and accidently write over a paragraph you have in your clipboard, etc.