Tiger update to pack iSync improvements

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Actually, I didn't suggest anything other than IMAP for syncing mail.

WebDAV is the protocol used by Apple for iDisk.

SVN is 'Subversion' - a version control system. I'm not sure why that was suggested as WebDAV has built in version control.

All three are standard on Macs and not custom at all. All are open standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

Read up on why you would use WebDav with Subversion.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

Read up on why you would use WebDav with Subversion.

Yes, I understand why you'd use WebDAV if you're using Subversion. That doesn't mean you need Subversion to use WebDAV or that you need Subversion at all.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Okay, see, this pisses me off.

E-mail is supposed to be the killer app. But in the last few years, it has become largely useless and vastly outdated. Why? People, mostly ISPs, like the University of Rhode Island in my case, are fucking retards and have not kept up with the times. 10 megs of storage are you FUCKING KIDDING ME. That's like one PDF. In my grad class where I'd get a few PDFs that size every Tues and Thurs that would clog my inbox, I'd have to check every few minutes so that mail would still keep coming in. That was veeery annoying. The worst thing is limits on attachments that I send to other people. For example, my two seminal works, a 6 meg and a 7 meg report (with already highly, highly compressed images, both very JPG compressed and size reduced, pasted in to word, lots of GIS maps) are compressed as possible, took me a long time with Graphic Converter. And even THEY are too big sometimes, like for instance with URI email.

Email sucks. So does PDF. They're mortal enemies. I hope email gets...upgraded somehow. It's just so 1980. The whole damn thing could just be done...better. From the protocol, to the amount of storage, global network (um, spam?), to Apple Mail. It...has lots of room for improvement from an end user perspective, if you step back.

Okay i'm drunk from last night. Have a good day everyone!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why that was suggested as WebDAV has built in version control.

DeltaV is a set of extensions for WebDAV, providing versioning. These extensions, however, are often considered an integral part of WebDAV nowadays. Heck, the WebDAV community resources site has a prominent link to DeltaV's RFC specification. So, to that end, WebDAV does have versioning.

Incidentally, Subversion's WebDAV access uses DeltaV.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

But in the last few years, it has become largely useless and vastly outdated. Why?

Because it relies on a terrible, terrible architecture. SMTP is a fucking joke. POP and IMAP aren't that great either.

I wish Microsoft were to create an open standard from their Exchange stuff (though that, in turn, is largely based on existing open standards such as X.400, but tragically, they aren't widely used elsewhere) so we can finally move on.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The Moto V195 isn't on Apple's current compatibility list, but does anyone know if it works with iSync anyway?
  • Reply 47 of 50
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The Moto V195 isn't on Apple's current compatibility list, but does anyone know if it works with iSync anyway?

Most Moto phones don't support any kind of sync standards such as SyncML or SYNCH so you're left with Apple to update it's software for every change Moto make with their custom sync software or hardware. That said, Moto are still milking ancient hardware and ancient software so it doesn't change often. Chances are it'll be supported at some point.

Why would you want a V195 though? Or did your work give you it?
  • Reply 48 of 50
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

It's actually for my dad. He just wants a simple phone (even without a camera) but is interested in the possibility of syncing his address book and calendar.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    mikelmikel Posts: 1member
    Quote:

The v195 is perfect for most non-teenagers. Bluetooth, 10 hours of talk time on a charge, and good call quality. There's no camera to cause trouble in sensitive work environments/courtrooms, and you can take it to the gym with you. It's cheap, too.

I can understand a kid wanting a camera and something cool, but cool wore off for me a bit after high school. Gimme functionality, baby.

For what it's worth, you can hack iSync to make the v195 work with it. I followed the instructions I found in Apple's iSync discussions, and it's been flawless.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by MikeL

For what it's worth, you can hack iSync to make the v195 work with it. I followed the instructions I found in Apple's iSync discussions, and it's been flawless.

Which instructions on Apple's discussion forums? I only found ones relating to the v190. Can they be adapted to work with the V195?

I haven't had a chance to try out the instructions, as I've been in the process of moving the past week.

Thanks!

-Jake