Some MacBooks plagued by discoloration

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Mine's going blue... I kid you not. Right in the middle of the trackpad button and some small patches to the left of it on the edge of the case...

My first thought was biro ink or something that may have got on my hands, except I havn't used a biro, or any kind of pen since owning this machine!

I've tried cleaning it with a few different cleaning products (Mr Muscle etc...) nothing's shifting it...

No orange yet though! What's going on.....
  • Reply 42 of 46
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I don't have a MacBook yet, but am planning to buy one in the next month or so. This issue concerns me greatly.

It sounds to me like the oil, etc. from people's hands is getting into the plastic and reacting with it. Different people ooze different stuff so it may only affect people with "harsh" oils.

Has anyone heard of anything you can put on the MacBook to protect the plastic? Either plastic sheets, or something like furniture polish, or 303.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    kratoskratos Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

I don't have a MacBook yet, but am planning to buy one in the next month or so. This issue concerns me greatly.

It sounds to me like the oil, etc. from people's hands is getting into the plastic and reacting with it. Different people ooze different stuff so it may only affect people with "harsh" oils.

Has anyone heard of anything you can put on the MacBook to protect the plastic? Either plastic sheets, or something like furniture polish, or 303.

- Jasen.

I would try waxing it. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't work, you're not really out anything, plus you can use it on your car anyway. Other than that, when I get my MacBook, I'm going to find a clear plastic film. Probably be able to get that from my local decal dealer.