MacBook seeing better response than MacBook Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

well, i know the dualhead2go works on the mac mini even though it 'isn't officially supported', but not sure if this new one works...

Matrox TripleHead2Go

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/th2go/home.cfm

Really? I'm looking to buy one of those for my laptop here at work but I'd love to also be able to use it with my mini! I'll be the guinea pig...later.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

So you wouldn't call that limited experience?

I agree with you, I would call it no experience. I don't know of anyone in my industry who uses docks.

Quote:

Port replicators that line up individual connectors to the a laptop's rear ports tend to have more issues in my experience. Bent pins and whatnot suck.

On the Mac it would be on the side. Bent pins shouldn't be a problem with Express card slot, it could be a problem with DVI.

I'm sure if there were a large demand for docks someone would figure out something.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I agree. How the Thinkpads and Sony's and other companies tend to market is

Port Replicator- One easy connection but no more ports than what came standard on the laptop.

Dock- Somewhere you're going to get extra functionality. Maybe another optical bay or hard drive bay or modular components. My dock has 4 more USB so it acts as a hub. I can add a second optical as well if I had an ultralight portable with no internal drive.

I'm keenly interested in the new 3-1 NAS with a 160Gb drive just because it comes with backup software and the ability to store data that I normally don't need when i'm mobile.

A few months ago I would have agreed that docks are overpriced but after living with my laptop it's nice to make one connection/disconnection. The NAS dock has a SATA 160GB 3.5" drive so I could see myself adding a larger drive as long as the controller permits it which it should.

Silencio- I'd say our attach rate for docks and Thinkpads is %25-33 percent unless you're talking about a huge rollout. People do love the simplicity of a dock.

None taken we're all sharing our opinions here. I think a subnotebook dock option is a must. However even full featured laptops benefit from advanced docks with more functionality.

Ok we need a green with envy emoticon. Damn that's my type of setup.

Addabox and Unfiltered thank you. Sometimes I hope my stubborness doesn't come across as too harsh.

Sorry 'bout my quick rush to judgement. I just have always felt strongly about those bulky docks that you had to add to Sony laptops to get basic functionality on a computer that was sold as being sooo thin and light. The mac: thin, light, and contains all the basic components and more.

Anyway, I see the point now where the dock idea could be useful if you are regularly using your laptop as a desktop and then pulling it out and using it as a portable as well. However, I personally agree that Apple's MO would be more to wait for wireless technology, etc. to develop to the point where this could be accomplished without wires OR dock (as someone else suggested already).
  • Reply 44 of 50
    scottvscottv Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

No offense, but this guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. The dock model that PC vendors use to "differentiate their product" is really the way they try to keep up with Apple's size and battery life-they remove all the functions except motherboard and harddrive and sell their computer as being sooo light and thin. Then you find out that the dock you have to attach it to in order to play a CD or connect to a network adds an inch and a half (at least; I've seen much worse!) and is heavy and bulky enough to render the "ultra-portable" unportable. Apple has a different and I believe superior strategy of creating laptop that are full-featured (what can reasonably be expected from a laptop of course) and balancing that goal with the goal of keeping it within the realms of portability.

By the way, kudos to Sony who are also catching on to this concept; it's about time!!

I belive he is speaking of a "Port Replicator" not a "Docking center". If you get your head out of your mac fanboy ass and think about what you are saying, then you will realize you are wrong.

I can think of maybe 2-3 laptops out there with the "docking station" under a removable ultro thing/portable laptop. MOST laptops do not separate and such as dell has a one point of connection for all cables.

You can connect everything up to one small strip and when you want to come home and use your laptop, you just push it onto the pins for this and instantly all cables are connected. It takes about 2 seconds.

Now I just bought a mac and understand I have to connect all of my 12 cables manually which you must admit is annoying and a waste of time for a laptop.

Good luck.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    whew, lets pull this one out of the stone age. last year?
  • Reply 46 of 50
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

whew, lets pull this one out of the stone age. last year?

yeah, I saw the headline and I though "I must have missed this one."

Then I see people laughing at the $99 APPL prediction as unrealistic. Kinda funny to look at what we were thinking a year ago...
  • Reply 47 of 50
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottv View Post

I belive he is speaking of a "Port Replicator" not a "Docking center". If you get your head out of your mac fanboy ass and think about what you are saying, then you will realize you are wrong.

I can think of maybe 2-3 laptops out there with the "docking station" under a removable ultro thing/portable laptop. MOST laptops do not separate and such as dell has a one point of connection for all cables.

You can connect everything up to one small strip and when you want to come home and use your laptop, you just push it onto the pins for this and instantly all cables are connected. It takes about 2 seconds.

Now I just bought a mac and understand I have to connect all of my 12 cables manually which you must admit is annoying and a waste of time for a laptop.

Good luck.

ooookaay, way to bump a year-old thread to say something that was already said multiple times before you. In fact, in the post right above yours, I had already taken my head out of my "mac fanboy ass" and acknowledged that I rushed to judgement, after someone with a little more tact pointed it out to me. Over a year ago. when this thread was actually active. Imagine that!
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Just out of curiosity, I just bought a Macbook, and I had some issues with it. It pretty much crashed all the time, so I called Apple, and they are going to send me a new one. I have a Targus PAEPR090 dock.

http://www.targus.com/us/drivers_man...?SKU=PAEPR090U

I had this hooked up to the macbook, and it seemed to work fine. Just out of curiosity, do you think this might have been part of the problem?

Also, what do you guys think of the Bookendz dock for the macbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834999541
  • Reply 49 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

ooookaay, way to bump a year-old thread to say something that was already said multiple times before you. In fact, in the post right above yours, I had already taken my head out of my "mac fanboy ass" and acknowledged that I rushed to judgement, after someone with a little more tact pointed it out to me. Over a year ago. when this thread was actually active. Imagine that!

And it's been a month and we haven't heard anything else from "Scottv".

Maybe he just wanders the web, looking for "fan boys" so he can hone his flaming asshole chops.