Apple fined 100K by state of Washington

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer Inc. has been fined $100,000 by the state of Washington for not registering with the state as a service contract provider, as required by law.

Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler, told Puget Sound Business Journal that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company failed to register as a service contract provider from 2000 to 2004.

A 1999 Washington law required all companies selling service contracts to register with the Office of the Insurance Commissioner.

The mistake cost Apple the right to offer its AppleCare extended warranty service to Washington consumers for a period last year. Customers looking to acquire the service at the time were told to check back with the company at a later date.

Kreidler said his office hasn't received any complaints regarding Apple's contracts and the company is now registered with the state.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    We don't f***K around here folks
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Now if you could just run an election...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh snap!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Oh gawd don't remind me

I remember getting the message that would couldn't sell Applecare. Fine seems a bit ridiculous but then again they charge you $101 dollars for not wearing your seatbelt. We like fines here.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Go us! I am a government employee (student working...) So now I will tell people the tax dollars that we got from fining Apple pay my wages.

But seriously... thats hilarious that they didnt file for 4 years? Wow.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    They didn't want the expense of the paperwork.

And hm... note where I live now. Seattle has NOTHING on this place. :P

Tax, tax, tax, tax, tax. And yet, less to show for it. Amazing.

*cough* So, about Apple... :}
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    The solutions are simple:

1) Vote Libertarian.

2) Buy some seat belt clips from Japan.

I personally don't want to vote for someone who will do MORE for me. I want someone who will start repealing laws and "do less" in government. Apple and the common man alike will be better off in the end. As far as mandatory registrations go, I recall that the Jews were required to do the same in Germany, not too long ago.

And yes, I do own and use these wonderous seatbelt clips myself. They prevent the belt from retracting. You can then decide if you want the to fasten the belt or just leave it on you so it looks as if it were fastened. A great device that prevents tickets but saves you life should a car crash into the side of yours (otherwise you'd be squished by a fastened seat belt).

Oh yes...

Standard Disclaimer: Don't break the law. Just work to change it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

They didn't want the expense of the paperwork.

And hm... note where I live now. Seattle has NOTHING on this place. :P

Tax, tax, tax, tax, tax. And yet, less to show for it. Amazing.

*cough* So, about Apple... :}

Quit yer bitchin. You're no longer a starving Post Grad student Welcome to the higher tax bracket where Uncle Sam and his cohorts are your new buddies.

The funny thing about WA state is that they absolutely LOVE indirect taxes. If they could boost the sales tax and gas taxes every year they would. Some of us are like "just give me a state income tax already"

This Apple thing must be payback for the state that houses Bill Gates
  • Reply 9 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's just odd that they would miss this. companies usually have lawyers to look for just this thing. When a new law comes out, they receive the legislative results, and can do the necessary applications. Strange.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jeff79mjeff79m Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

..Some of us are like "just give me a state income tax already"

This Apple thing must be payback for the state that houses Bill Gates

Yeah it would be great we could pay sales tax, property tax and income tax. The government would never run out of money and we would still have no roads.

The state is so stupid we are drilling a tunnel by hand (because the drilling machines aren't working right now)through the side of a hill for BUSES...wait a minute I bet thats what the $100,000 dollars is going too or maybe its the drunk apartments that we built for the bums. Oh wait it could be going to...(fill in with your own stupid government program)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jimoasejimoase Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

We don't f***K around here folks

In kindergarten we learned to mention to someone that they are treading on our property. I wonder if Washington sent an information letter to Apple before going gold digging? Four years is long time to let something so serious occur without looking out for the citizens of Washington. There has to be some incompentency in the management of the enforcement folks.

When a law is made is there also an impact statement estimating how many crimminals the law is expected to create and the impact on the judicial system. Maybe a roll needs to be kept for the person who creates the most crimminals by authoring laws.

Jim
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Oh come on, we DO know how to run an election. We just don't know how to count the votes, especially the first time around.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Apple to pay $100K fine?

"...geez, is cash okay?"

(NBD, just the cost of doing business)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Oh come on, we DO know how to run an election. We just don't know how to count the votes, especially the first time around.

Or the second... or the third... wait, were those ballots just found?

Man, I leave for a single decade, and this is what you guys do with the place? *shakes head*
  • Reply 15 of 16
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I read the news article on today's SeattleTimes too.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JDW

As far as mandatory registrations go, I recall that the Jews were required to do the same in Germany, not too long ago.