Reuters: Microsoft readying Apple iPod rival

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Soooo if Microsoft starts making hardware, could we be looking at a spin off division by the name of Microhard?

...or Megahard.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:

Soooo if Microsoft starts making hardware, could we be looking at a spin off division by the name of Microhard?

Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

...or Megahard.

• Reply 23 of 39
    recompilerecompile Posts: 100member
    I think that if you look at M$ objectively, you cannot deny that they have oodles of money and resources. You can't deny that they they control 95% of the world computer market with their OS. (Doesn't matter that it sucks.) And most people (Even the most loyal Gates lovers), would agree, that if you merged M$ with Apple, and put Jobs in control, that you would have a very powerful company. So with all of this, you would think that a resurrection of M$ is VERY possible in a whim, should you get someone with enough influence, innovation, vision and control as Steve Jobs in power at M$, that it would have NO PROBLEM of dominating everything.

But..... there is Gates. I doubt that even when he steps down from the day to day operations at M$ that he will EVER TOTALLY release the reigns of M$. This is one of Apple's saving graces. The other is an old problem. This is apparent with Governments, companies, and even relationships. This has to do with problems that are SO, SO imbedded into the core, that there is no solution. That these things cannot be fixed with just a few adjustment, or personnel, or different systems. They must simply end. And with that a new takes it's place. This has been the pattern of all of history. And that is the ultimate fate of M$. Whether it is now, 5 years from now, or even later than that. I personally think that they have been living on borrowed time for quite some time now.8)

By the way GMac, nice rendition of the M$ "True" video ipod. M$ will surely steal this idea from you.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gmac

No worries.

If MS builds it, it will be 5 years late and look like this:

and sell in the hundreds of millions
  • Reply 25 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

They have been making joysticks, mice, keyboards, and game consoles with accessories for years now...they work hand-in-hand with their mobile partners like HP/Compaq on windows mobile and smartphone editions, working with Dell and creative and so on for Windows Media DRM, and I am sure that I am forgetting one or two things here...

MS may not be commonly recognised as a hardware brand, but make no mistake, they know what they are doing -- most of their hardware is really great stuff, the software is where it falls apart.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    I'm sure they'll use their monopoly to get quite a few people to buy it. Having ads for it popup in Windows Media Player (which is installed on all Windows machines) is bound to achieve that.

But it is unlikely to have much street cred. It'll be about as cool as the Dell DJ Ditty.

Which is not at all.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

Aside from keyboard, game controllers, and mice, and possibly Xbox...

Glad you said 'possibly' because the Xbox is a gray area...it isn't exactly an amazing seller and it was a huge loss leader. The whole project would have been scrapped long ago if MS wasn't absolutely determined to try and take over the gaming console market.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm nervous. I thought the XBox would fail too. And PocketPC. And MSN. I'm nervous. On the other hand...this will probably kill AAPL for a bit, then perhaps I'll buy and it'll turn out to be untrue and it will rebound and I will be rich I tells ya, rich! One can hope...
  • Reply 29 of 39
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    give it up microsoft why do they think they can dip their greedy hands into everything?

stick with the xbox and drop everything else =)
  • Reply 30 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    *gulps down a gallon of kool-aid*

MICROSOFT SUCKS! THE MICROiPOD WILL SUCK!

muah ah hahah haha hah hahha

sorry peoples, that's the best i came up with today

and yes, great pics posted on this thread

and nice that user blackbird is providing the laugh track,

hence legitimising our jokes.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

...nice that user blackbird is providing the laugh track,

hence legitimising our jokes.

• Reply 32 of 39
    I don't think people are taking this seriously enough. Microsoft could kill the iPod if they really, really wanted to. They have 80 billion just sitting in the bank they could eat. For our and Apple's sake I hope this rumor isn't true. On the other hand, I hope we don't find out for a while and the stock tanks so I can buy some right after I get a salaried job. 8)
  • Reply 33 of 39
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I don't think people are taking this seriously enough. Microsoft could kill the iPod if they really, really wanted to. They have 80 billion just sitting in the bank they could eat. For our and Apple's sake I hope this rumor isn't true. On the other hand, I hope we don't find out for a while and the stock tanks so I can buy some right after I get a salaried job. 8)

Agreed.

I think that is the reason why Jobs is holding back the real iPod video.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

It is entirely possible that the barriers to entry in the MP3 market are already so high that the market is effectively closed to new competitors. You can trade your Motorola phone in for a Nokia, but you can't exactly change MP3 platforms when none of your iTunes tracks are going to work on the Microsoft player.

I don't see any competitor knocking a serious dent in Apple's MP3 market power unless Apple opens up its track licensing to competitor players.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Porchland

It is entirely possible that the barriers to entry in the MP3 market are already so high that the market is effectively closed to new competitors. You can trade your Motorola phone in for a Nokia, but you can't exactly change MP3 platforms when none of your iTunes tracks are going to work on the Microsoft player.

I don't see any competitor knocking a serious dent in Apple's MP3 market power unless Apple opens up its track licensing to competitor players.

very good point.

And besides, this IS microsoft we're talking about. They couldn't design a simple interface to save their life. That's why they're drowing.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Porchland you're dead wrong. M$ could and WOULD crush Apple like a BUG if we didn't have antitrust laws. If they cancelled Office, Macs would shrink to a 1% or less market share and NEVER recover. Period. They could and would do the same with an iPod clone. I think that is probably the ONE reason they have not done so with the iPod. The DoJ might get on their case. And especially considering the big-business Republicans are most likely on the way out soon, hence a new DoJ.

Nevertheless, I'm nervous. Just because Vista is late doesn't mean MS is going out of business. I'm watching this closely. I'm sure this is the reason AAPL is tanking now, at least in large part.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Porchland you're dead wrong. M$ could and WOULD crush Apple like a BUG if we didn't have antitrust laws. If they cancelled Office, Macs would shrink to a 1% or less market share and NEVER recover. Period. They could and would do the same with an iPod clone. I think that is probably the ONE reason they have not done so with the iPod. The DoJ might get on their case. And especially considering the big-business Republicans are most likely on the way out soon, hence a new DoJ.

Nevertheless, I'm nervous. Just because Vista is late doesn't mean MS is going out of business. I'm watching this closely. I'm sure this is the reason AAPL is tanking now, at least in large part.

Apple hardly depends on Office to survive
  • Reply 38 of 39
    who needs ms office!

when google offers word processing and presentation software it's bye bye ms office.

they already have a spreadsheets app that is very cool.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Mmm ok I went a little to the hyperbolic extreme. Nevertheless I think they could make a dent in the iPod but they'd have to cheat, by making Vista "break" iTunes all the time with "updates" and use WMP to tie in to their player. But I think even this current DoJ might give 'em a little call if that were to occur.