Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Cool I will try that soon.

Any luck?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    No, I tried on a Windows machine with a USB cable and it popped up with "unrecognized device." The iPod software updater also wouldn't recognize it.

I'm at a complete loss.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Using the diagnostic mode, I've figured out how to place it into disk mode, but when I do so, it reboots then stays on the Apple logo permanently. It still does not show up in disk utility and system profiler only recognizes it as an "unknown device."
  • Reply 24 of 39
    OK, I've opened the iPod again and put my old hard drive back in. The iPod exhibits the same symptoms with the old hard drive as with the new hard drive.

Interestingly though, when I attached a 20 gig drive from a 2nd generation iPod, my laptop recognized that drive and I was able to rip music off of it.

So then, what is the problem? Any ideas?
  • Reply 25 of 39
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, so maybe I was a little wrong. You did plug the drive in correctly right? Some laptop drives have jumper pins that are unused and if you plug the cable in using a jumper as pin 1 nothing will work. That's all I can come up with right now.

I'll quote my previous post so you can laugh at how wrong I was. 8)

Quote:

I think it is safe to say your hard drive is not working in some way. It is best to troubleshoot and get your iPod working before you tinker with computer software. You need to get the iPod recognized before you can do anything.

1) Power requirements

Make sure your power requirements match those of the iPod. The iPod has super slow drives that spin at like 1200RPM or something that may take considerably less power than what your iPod batteries can provide.

2) Connection

My 3rd gen doesn't like USB. It will sync for a few minutes and disconnect its self. The 3rd gen iPod prefers firewire and that is what I recommend you use.

3) Test the drive

Stick the drive in a laptop and run the hardware test CD if you can. You can also get desktop IDE->laptop IDE adapters that will allow you to install a laptop hard drive in a desktop computer. They are insanely cheap like $5-$10.

My money is on option #1. A hard drive not properly spinning up will cause all these problems and it sounds like you put it back together properly.

Good luck.

• Reply 26 of 39
    Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm on the way to solving this problem. I think you were right about the connection problem. I opened the iPod again and this time firmly set the chip in place (not the pin connector, but the chip on the motherboard).

I then reassembled the iPod with the new hard drive in place. I plugged it into the wall for a few minutes, and it booted up again with the folder icon.

This time when I plugged it into my computer via firewire, it went into disk mode. Huzzah!

System profiler now recognizes it as an Apple iPod with a 20 gig drive. Disk Utility recognizes it too.

However, my iPod stays in disk mode, clicking each second, with the hold lock icon in place even though the hold switch is off. It says "do not disconnect."

I tried running the iPod updater, it recognizes the iPod, so I choose restore, and a task bar shows up. It doesn't move and evenutally it gives me the error message:

"The iPod could not be unmounted because it is in use. Please close any open files on the iPod and try again."

I've tried disconnecting it, and the screen turns to "OK to disconnect" with a check mark and the clicking stops. However, the hold switch icon remains and I can not reset the iPod.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Here are two more error messages I've received from the iPod updater:

"The data partition could not be found and could not be formatted. Disconnect iPod, reconnect and then try restoring again."

"A single iPod was detected, but it must be mounted on the desktop for this operation to work."
  • Reply 28 of 39
    I've also received the message, after connecting my iPod to the computer, that "this disk is not readable" with the options of "initialize," "ignore," or "eject." Clicking initialize opens disk utility. Disk utility lists the iPod but does not give the option of repair.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    This message is the most recurring one:

"The data partition could not be found and could not be formatted. Disconnect iPod, reconnect and then try restoring again."
  • Reply 30 of 39
    If it is a new hard drive, there is nothing to repair. Reformat and it should show up as a normal drive. Than that iPod utility should work. *Crosses fingers*
  • Reply 31 of 39
    How do I reformat it? iPod updater won't work.

How do I reformat it through disk utility?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Select he iPod on the left list. click the erase tab, and choose a format.

It doesn't matter what format since the iPod utility will reformat anyways.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    How long is this supposed to take?The log says that it is "creating a Partition Map" but the task bar is stuck at about 1/20th of the way complete. I'm afraid to quit Disk Utility because it warns that the disk may be unusable...
  • Reply 34 of 39
    About a 15 seconds. 2 minutes tops.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Disk utility is freezing on me. I can hear the iPod clicking for about 15 seconds, during which Disk Utility.app is unresponsive. Then a task bar appears below saying "Creating Partition Map" but it's just stuck there.

So I disconnected the iPod. It was pretty warm. I disconnected, even though it said "Do Not Disconnect." It now says "OK To Disconnect."

I can not reset the iPod. I hold the buttons down but it doesn't respond. I'd love to put it in diagnostic mode so I can check the HDD SCAN.

*One small thing that annoys me about OS X is the Aqua task bar. The way it animates looks really pretty but its tricky too. Sometimes - just as an optical illusion - when it is actually standing still, it looks like its actually slowly moving forward.

A few times I've held my cursor there for a minute to see if it had moved.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    I do that cursor thing too.

You may try a different format like FAT32 or unix or something. Maybe something else will have better luck. It doesn't really matter since it will be reformatted again later.

A restart couldn't hurt either.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    I tried again using Unix File System. This time I could hear the iPod hard drive clicking for about 2 minutes while the spinning beach ball did its thing in disk utility. Then I got this error message:

Disk Erase Error

Disk Erase failed with the error:

Unknown error: -5349

I don't see the FAT32 option. Only Mac OS Extended, Journaled or not, Case Sensitive or not, MS DOS file system, and UNIX file system.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Oh, MS DOS. (Same thing actually)

But something else is happening here and I'm afraid it is beyond me at the moment.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I was wondering if any one found a solution for this. I'm in the exact same situation. I can't get it on disk mode regularly, but I managed to get it on disk mode through the debug menu. USB mass storage disk appears but it always freezes. I'm running on windows 98se but It works fine with my other ipods. I was already at a friends house to get it working so before I go again. I was wondering if I go will the same situation happen with me as the same guy in this thread or did someone find why its acting dumb like this.