Apple begins audit on iPod sweatshop claims

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has begun "a thorough audit" of a Chinese manufacturing plant operated by Foxconn that makes its iPod digital music players, the company told Reuters.

The investigation was prompted by a report in the London newspaper Mail on Sunday, which insinuated that workers at the plant -- E3 --were being treated unfairly and forced to operate under sweatshop-like conditions.

"Apple has begun a thorough audit of the manufacturing plant operated by Foxconn in Longhua, China," said Apple spokesman Steve Dowling.

The audit will focus on "employee working and living conditions, interviews of employees and managers, compliance with overtime and wage regulations, and other areas as necessary to insure adherence to Apple's supplier code of conduct," Dowling added.

Monday was the first time Apple disclosed the details of the investigation, which it committed to last week.

For its part, Foxconn has denied any wrongdoing.

A spokesman for the company on Monday said there were "huge discrepancies" between the truth and the allegations in the Mail's report, which he called "vicious attack" on Foxconn.

The Taiwanese computer and electronics manufacturer maintains that its "employment practices are completely in accordance with the requirements of Shenzhen labor supervision departments."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Go get 'em Apple. Put these rumors to rest.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emcemc Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I would hope that if Apple finds these allegations to be true , that they pull the contract and find someone else to build iPods. The only way for companies to learn not to treat people as slave labor is to hit them in thier bottom line.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The report will find that while in general the local labor laws were adhered to, there have been some isolated instances in which low level managers have pushed things too far. These managers (AKA scapegoats) will be sacked and measures (AKA smokescreens) will be put in place to ensure these occasional excesses are not repeated.

It's an internal report (AKA - Public relations exercise).

The important thing is that something is seen to be done, that the story goes away and that everyone gets their ipods at the same price and same profit margin for Apple.

Prove me wrong Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't know if Apple can easily change manufacturers, but they CAN do it--so I'm sure the threat will be used to enforce changes even if Apple can't just dump Foxconn cold.

Also, we may never know whether any intentional blind eye was turned before. But if the allegations were true, it's good they were brought to light and can now be improved.

Quote:

Originally posted by Adrianzehn

The report will find that while in general the local labor laws were adhered to, there have been some isolated instances in which low level managers have pushed things too far. These managers (AKA scapegoats) will be sacked and measures (AKA smokescreens) will be put in place to ensure these occasional excesses are not repeated.

The important thing is that something is seen to be done, that the story goes away and that everyone gets their ipods at the same price and same profit margin for Apple.

Prove me wrong Apple.

OK, that is just really pessimistic and cynical!

But... I bet you're right. Oh, well.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmC

I would hope that if Apple finds these allegations to be true , that they pull the contract and find someone else to build iPods. The only way for companies to learn not to treat people as slave labor is to hit them in thier bottom line.

Definitely, this is one of the only ways to do it other than legal action.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Prove me wrong Apple.

Nail, meet hammer. I agree with your post 100%. Makes you (almost) feel almost a little sorry for the scapegoats as they just tow the company line and because they don't have enough friends on mahogany row, they'll be sacked.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Prove me wrong Apple.

i recommend this post
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Prove me wrong Apple.

while i agree with this post you have to remember that the oringial article came from the Mail On Sunday, so i wouldnt be surprised if it was totally made up.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xUKHCx

while i agree with this post you have to remember that the oringial article came from the Mail On Sunday, so i wouldnt be surprised if it was totally made up.

Quite agree - Who really cares what's in the Tabloids. But that's the danager of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday - they think they're a serious newpaper.

mrtotes
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrtotes

Quite agree - Who really cares what's in the Tabloids. But that's the danager of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday - they think they're a serious newpaper.

mrtotes

Worse than that, is the readers who also believe its a serious newspaper
  • Reply 11 of 13
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Pure bullstink, This is communist China for petes sake . Workers dont have rights, say or anything for that matter. This is pure P.R. by Apple when 1 it cant do anything about it, two its another company that makes those pods and 3 they are in a communist country for christ sake with no say in anything.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Pure bullstink, This is communist China for petes sake . Workers dont have rights, say or anything for that matter. This is pure P.R. by Apple when 1 it cant do anything about it, two its another company that makes those pods and 3 they are in a communist country for christ sake with no say in anything.

The short answer is... sort of. But until you've been there and talked to both the workers and the business owners, as I have, I'll just assume you're talking trash with little first hand knowledge.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    A little sweat never hurt anyone!