If only it would run OSX

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sony have launched a new sub note book with an 11.1 inch screen The Register







If only it would run OSX
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    I know.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    In related news, Sony is still looking for a new design team.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Looks like any other VAIO I've ever seen, complete with those cool Intel & Windows stickers.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    WOW!!!



    That is just completely...........







    underwhelming.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    7 hours battery life, carbon fibre case and dual layer DVD burner. You're right nothing special.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Addison

    7 hours battery life, carbon fibre case and dual layer DVD burner. You're right nothing special.



    Did you see the price tag? Or that the battery life doesn't apply any more pretty much right after you try and actually do something with it?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    So why is this conversation in future hardware?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    So why is this conversation in future hardware?



    Maybe Addison wishes for Apple's new design theme to be purple?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Addison

    7 hours battery life, carbon fibre case and dual layer DVD burner. You're right nothing special.



    carbon fibre is gay.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    It's a nice laptop if you need ultra portable. I hate the keyboards on this size laptop though.



    I wouldn't say I'm drooling over it but it's a solid unit.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    mimacmimac Posts: 871member
    Sony laptops are pretty nice... but running OSX? Nah. Think I'd prefer the Macbook running windows (only when absolutely necessary of course).
  • Reply 12 of 29
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    How well do sub notebooks sell? The first sentence in the article is Sony's latest attempt to get Europeans to fall in love with sub notebooks.



    I'm no fan of them the screen and keyboard are just too small to be usable.



    The price isn't cheap that would be over 3,000 USD.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    That laptop has been out for around 5 months. Nothing new. Oh and the guy that said "carbon fiber is gay". I think your gay and should get over your envy. Ive seen the laptop around 1800. 7 hours of battery life, dvd r, celular access, and less than 2.5 pounds. Man I'm getting one. Hell I can put two in my backpack for one macbook.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by antartican

    That laptop has been out for around 5 months. Nothing new. Oh and the guy that said "carbon fiber is gay". I think your gay and should get over your envy. Ive seen the laptop around 1800. 7 hours of battery life, dvd r, celular access, and less than 2.5 pounds. Man I'm getting one. Hell I can put two in my backpack for one macbook.



    I just wish Apple would make one and stop being so freekn weird about meeting obviious demands in the portable market. They have a line of notebooks that are "portable" but nothing that is truly "portable" compared to their current line.



    It that machine ran OSX, I would have two of them.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Just give me a 13" MacBook Pro and I'll be happy. Just take a 13" MacBook, wrap it in aluminum instead of plastic (that should make it a little smaller and lighter, not to mention better-looking), put a real GPU in there with dual DVI support, give me a lighted keyboard, ambient light sensor, and a non-glossy screen as an option, and I'll be a happy camper. I can live without the ExpressCard/34 slot that the rest of the Pro models have.



    Price this around $2000 -- same as a low-end 15"-er now -- and I'm there. I'll pay the same price as the 15" for a 13" model because for some of us smaller is feature. (It would be nice if for $2000 you got a little more RAM and/or HD capacity than the low-end 15", just to even things up a bit.) I just bought a 15" MBP a little over a month ago, but I'll put it on eBay within a year if Apple starts making the 13" MBP that I really wanted to be able to buy.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shetline

    Just give me a 13" MacBook Pro and I'll be happy. Just take a 13" MacBook, wrap it in aluminum instead of plastic (that should make it a little smaller and lighter, not to mention better-looking), put a real GPU in there with dual DVI support, give me a lighted keyboard, ambient light sensor, and a non-glossy screen as an option, and I'll be a happy camper. I can live without the ExpressCard/34 slot that the rest of the Pro models have.



    Price this around $2000 -- same as a low-end 15"-er now -- and I'm there. I'll pay the same price as the 15" for a 13" model because for some of us smaller is feature. (It would be nice if for $2000 you got a little more RAM and/or HD capacity than the low-end 15", just to even things up a bit.) I just bought a 15" MBP a little over a month ago, but I'll put it on eBay within a year if Apple starts making the 13" MBP that I really wanted to be able to buy.



    It would be more expensive than the equivalent 15-inch MacBook Pro, because smaller components are more difficult to manufacture.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    It would be more expensive than the equivalent 15-inch MacBook Pro, because smaller components are more difficult to manufacture.



    The thing is I'm basically just talking about a MacBook with a few features added. Apple sells the black MB for $1500. The exact same configuration in white (bump the 60GB drive to 80GB) -- no difference except the color of the plastic -- goes for $1350. Apple charges a $150 premium just for black plastic! (Hell, even knowing how stupid that is, if I were buying a MacBook I might pay the extra $150 anyway.)



    So, let's say we're starting with a base price of $1350 for a MB with a 2.0 GHz Core Duo processor, 512MB, 80GB. For $650, all I'm asking for is:



    Aluminum casing instead of plastic.

    Lighted keyboard with ambient light sensor.

    Non-glossy display option.

    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (I'd settle for the 128MB version) instead of the Intel GMA 950.

    While we're at it, throw in another half gig of RAM, maybe even go to 2.16 GHz and 256MB for the graphics.



    That's not really a lot to ask for for $650 more.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shetline

    The thing is I'm basically just talking about a MacBook with a few features added.



    No, you're talking about a MacBook Pro with a smaller screen.



    Quote:

    That's not really a lot to ask for for $650 more.



    But you also want all that to fit in the very same horizontal dimensions, not to mention a thinner and lighter case.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    For those of you too lazy to read Chucker's and khroel's posts, I'll sum them up with "IT'S NOT MADE BY APPLE SO IT SUX"
  • Reply 20 of 29
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    For those of you too lazy to read Chucker's and khroel's posts, I'll sum them up with "IT'S NOT MADE BY APPLE SO IT SUX"



    That may be your perception of my posts. However, I do like some other brands. Samsung makes some excellently-designed laptops. IBM, while apparently invariably engineering with their eyes closed, makes very sturdy ones. Panasonic does interesting outdoors stuff.



    That's pretty much it. Dell is only interesting in their Latitude line, at which point they aren't cheap (which is their usual advantage), and Sony is only interesting for "ooh, aahhh, it's a Sony", until your inverter cable starts breaking down and the 'F' key stops working and costs $300 to replace.



    I'm pleased to see that you think I'm an Apple apologist, because I always enjoy when others want to try and fit me into archetypes and stereotypes: it's very telling about their flaws.
Sign In or Register to comment.