Intel unleashes Mac-bound "Woodcrest" server chip

Comments

• Reply 501 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

<snip>Apples current G5 has a single 16X PCI-E slot, and I think it also has an 8X slot ...<snip>.

Ref: http://www.apple.com/powermac/pciexpress.html

One 16-lane (graphics), one 8-lane and two 4-lane PCI express slots. They are all 16-lane size. This allows you to put in a graphics card in any slot, but of course at reduced speed in the slower slots. P.S. That's 250 Mbps per lane. 8 more lanes go for HyperTransport interface chip that supplies the 2 x SATA, FireWire and USB, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme. That's how the 40 lanes get apportioned.
  • Reply 502 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

If Apple uses a 5000n chipset from Intel it will have 24 PCIe lanes.

It will have either two 8x (5000P) slots or one 16x (5000X) slot.

Or does anyone of you know about another chipset that can handle Woodcrest cpus?

I think I recall a rumor about the 5000X chipset. Then Apple modified it to support FireWire 800 and who knows what else. Dual Ethernet on the mobo is rather unusual among the PC side of things. The current G5 offers this, but I don't think it's popular, except for servers. Apple could drop it and offer a 4x PCIe card option.
  • Reply 503 of 565
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BradMacPro

One 16-lane (graphics), one 8-lane and two 4-lane PCI express slots. They are all 16-lane size. This allows you to put in a graphics card in any slot, but of course at reduced speed in the slower slots. P.S. That's 250 Mbps per lane. 8 more lanes go for HyperTransport interface chip that supplies the 2 x SATA, FireWire and USB, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme. That's how the 40 lanes get apportioned.

If we go deeper, and look at the developer notes for the PowerMac G5, we can see that Apple uses a mid-bridge to provide more PCIe lanes:

- the north bridge provides the PCIe 16x lanes, and the memory controller

- the mid bridge provides the other 3 PCIe 4x, 8x, 4x lanes and the dual Ethernet ports

- the south bridge provides the rest of the I/O (usb, ATA, SATA, audio, FW, BT, AP...)

The 3 bridges are linked by HyperTransport buses.

Intel's chipsets (north/south bridges) can provide most of the I/Os a PowerMac needs, exept for the 3 additional PCIe slots. Can Apple use the same technology (a mid bridge) to provide more PCIe slots on Intel's architecture?
  • Reply 504 of 565
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

If we go deeper, and look at the developer notes for the PowerMac G5, we can see that Apple uses a mid-bridge to provide more PCIe lanes:

- the north bridge provides the PCIe 16x lanes, and the memory controller

- the mid bridge provides the other 3 PCIe 4x, 8x, 4x lanes and the dual Ethernet ports

- the south bridge provides the rest of the I/O (usb, ATA, SATA, audio, FW, BT, AP...)

The 3 bridges are linked by HyperTransport buses.

Intel's chipsets (north/south bridges) can provide most of the I/Os a PowerMac needs, exept for the 3 additional PCIe slots. Can Apple use the same technology (a mid bridge) to provide more PCIe slots on Intel's architecture?

But if apple is using the intel chipset there will be no hypertransport in which Apple was one of the first players on the board of the hypertransport consortium. I find the whole thing intriguing. Apple on intel, and how friendly is intel actually? We will know immediately when we see Apples motherboard. If it's the standard Blackfoot chipset, or whatever it was called I forget, intel and Apple are obviously already playing politics, and this will directly translate to lesser performance than the Apple initiative, and intel cooperative teams designing Apples board specifically like Apple has in the past.

\\[QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Not without Apple vastly improving it's OpenGL performance and someone writing SLI capable drivers, neither of which seem forthcoming.

Yeah, well, that's why I think SLI for Mac Pro is not going to happen despite some people (oh say, usrname starts with "on", ends in "looker" ...er oops...) still hoping for it

Don't even suggest that I'm thinking it will happen. I'm just saying it "should" happen. If Apple wanted to be even steven with their PC counterparts, and have a shot at getting Macs into every PC users hands it should be available, but it probably wont.

Although what I do hope for is the availability of the Nvidia SLI-2X cards. If your not going to be cutting edge ( as they have always claimed to be ) at least they can attempt to make us happy. While they bend over, and take it from intel.
  • Reply 505 of 565
    BTW is there a countdown? It's (WWDC) a week from today.

IN the forst part of my last post. All I was getting at was it will be obvious by looking at the motherboard if Apple and intel are working as closely as they claim to be.
  • Reply 506 of 565
    Quote:

I think I recall a rumor about the 5000X chipset. Then Apple modified it to support FireWire 800 and who knows what else. Dual Ethernet on the mobo is rather unusual among the PC side of things. The current G5 offers this, but I don't think it's popular, except for servers. Apple could drop it and offer a 4x PCIe card option.

a lot of non server boards are starting to come with Dual Ethernet
  • Reply 507 of 565
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

IN the forst part of my last post. All I was getting at was it will be obvious by looking at the motherboard if Apple and intel are working as closely as they claim to be.

There's a countdown thread in general discussion
  • Reply 508 of 565
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joe_the_dragon

a lot of non server boards are starting to come with Dual Ethernet

Yep, it's quite useful having two NICs as you can DMZ one of them and stick a captive portal across them.
  • Reply 509 of 565
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Unfortunately, I have to say good night all, it's almost 4:25 am here.

You wuss. You're pushing, what 2-3 hours of sleep every night? Seems that way. Cut it down to 1, sleepyhead..!!

You have to get up earlier. If you're in Australia now, you're closer to the rest of the civilized world and all that. I rarely post early in the day, as I actually have other things to do, such as help my daughter get to school at 6:00 am, bercause she's taking a summer class.
  • Reply 510 of 565
    Quote:

Well, someone has finally caught up to my post yesterday.
  • Reply 511 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Yep, it's quite useful having two NICs as you can DMZ one of them and stick a captive portal across them.

the nforce 5 ones let you team them for more bandwith
  • Reply 512 of 565
    So it looks like someone broached the unmentionable: Hypertransport on the Intel board.

We've heard about Apple working on this board with Intel since October. That's 7-8 months. If there is gonna be anything really crazy on an Apple-Intel board, now's the time.

PS: Is PCIe2 compatible with PCIe? I mean, is my Mac Pro mobo in 2-3 years gonna be what AGP is now, or will PCIe last longer?
  • Reply 513 of 565
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

PS: Is PCIe2 compatible with PCIe? I mean, is my Mac Pro mobo in 2-3 years gonna be what AGP is now, or will PCIe last longer?

I think it's just a continuation of the standard. I don't see much information, but what I do find offers a reassurance of backward compatibility. I would expect that they would be intercompatible, though a PCIe2 device would obviously not have the benefit of its native speeds if used in a PCIe slot, it appears it will work.

• Reply 514 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

So it looks like someone broached the unmentionable: Hypertransport on the Intel board.

We've heard about Apple working on this board with Intel since October. That's 7-8 months. If there is gonna be anything really crazy on an Apple-Intel board, now's the time.

It's like the older PCI 1 - 2 standard. The older boards worked in the newer mobo's, as long as their designs were done properly in the first place.
  • Reply 515 of 565
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Well, a few more days. Hopefully. Intel will very likely show a nice Apple-Intel collaboration. No standard 5000-whatever run-of-the-boring-mill chipset.
  • Reply 516 of 565
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by onlooker

One of my babies has been doing quite well:

Official WWDC 2006 Countdown Thread!!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...&postid=946403
  • Reply 517 of 565
    OK, I had something to post in here, but forgot because the forum looks totally different to me. Did they update it, or something? It hurts my eyes. How do I get the old one back?

There was an update. Quick reply has been installed. I just want the old look back.
  • Reply 518 of 565
    This looks really Windowy. I don't like it - I think a Mac forum shouldn't look like XP.

Anyways - I think we'll see immediate shipping on the Mac Pros - Woodcrest has been out for 6 weeks and Conroe for 2 by then. Unless iMacs go Conroe and Mac Pros do too, in which case Mac Pros will be delayed (but I don't see that happening)
  • Reply 519 of 565
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

OK, I had something to post in here, but forgot because the forum looks totally different to me. Did they update it, or something? It hurts my eyes. How do I get the old one back?

There was an update. Quick reply has been installed. I just want the old look back.

Yeah, I just got back, and BOOM1 I'm so used to the older format, I can hardly read this yet.

What was wrong with the way it looked before?

The only change I'd like to see is an easier way to post attachments.
  • Reply 520 of 565
    This new format totally frigs with my unique Quoting style. Fracking hell. I gotta think up a whole new "design aesthetic" to my posts to work with this new look and feel. While we all hate change, I praise AppleInsider for trying to improve things. But personally I am lost and do not quite get this new look and feel. Makes it seem cheap and run-of-the-mill. An aqua-esque theme would be cool. IT IS A MAC SITE for chrissakes?!! Bloody Intel. It's already diluting the Apple brand