The next iMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by antizeit

That is a very sexy machine. I would love to have something like that. Also, there is a reason for the chin. Now, maybe it isn't much of an issue now, or with the 23" machine you are suggesting, however Apple will not make one model machine differ so radically from the others without making that same change across the board.

Also, quite honestly, what is the big deal with the chin? I could care less that it is there, plus it makes it look like it is more than a monitor.
  • Reply 42 of 176
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Also, quite honestly, what is the big deal with the chin? I could care less that it is there, plus it makes it look like it is more than a monitor.

I love the chin on my iMac! Please keep the chin apple!
  • Reply 43 of 176
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    chinless 21in widescreen = sexy.
  • Reply 44 of 176
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    I would like the stand to be darker to go well with the black iMac.
  • Reply 45 of 176
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mwswami

I would like the stand to be darker to go well with the black iMac.

Nah, I think the contrast is great.
  • Reply 46 of 176
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IntlHarvester

Well, Apple has already shown they love diminishing returns with the Mini and to some extent with the current iMac.

I think Conroe would put Apple right in the middle of the Intel/AMD price war and create embarassing price comparisons. I vote Mermon and thin/light enclosures to prevent the comparisons, much like has been seen with the Mini.

I'm not saying Apple won't do it. Only that they shouldn't. It's stupid and only gives Apple a way to avoid comparissons to pcs. Very cynical if they do it.
  • Reply 47 of 176
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

23", less chin, top-of-the-line black model for just 200$ more....

This looks like it's made from a video ipod mockup!
  • Reply 48 of 176
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    the screen looks like the iMac G4 with rounded corner, IMHO it will be nice in more squarer like cinema display.

yes black is sexy!
  • Reply 49 of 176
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Nah, I think the contrast is great.

na.
  • Reply 50 of 176
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Nice... I'll buy one.

I think it would have a little more chin though.

You also forgot the black tax and the $500 price difference between the 20" and 23" cinema display.

My guess is a starting price of $1.999.

I would buy one for my kitchen. To be more ergonomic (so that the screen is more level with the eyes), it either needs a bigger chin or the stand needs to be taller ...
  • Reply 51 of 176
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

23", less chin, top-of-the-line black model for just 200$ more....

I hate black, but if your design above was released with a glossy black finish and that look, deliver one to my door ASAP. I think black borders on monitors give nice contrast to the screen.

I can harldy wait to see what happens with the iMac in August. I am ready to purchase one now to replace my current iMac G5. So when August comes, new chips and hopefully 23" will be a choice.

I also like your idea of illuminating the Apple logo instead of some white round light on my panel off center.
  • Reply 52 of 176
    If the chin got removed, you might need a higher desk
  • Reply 53 of 176
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'm not saying Apple won't do it. Only that they shouldn't. It's stupid and only gives Apple a way to avoid comparissons to pcs. Very cynical if they do it.

I was at Circuit City the other day and spied an HP desktop computer with a Pentium M processor; granted, it was $619 without a monitor, but it was very small, so Apple would have some precedent for putting a mobile processor into a destkop computer.

That said, if Conroe's not offered in the iMac (even though it will be cheaper, and thus I expect it will be), to stay competitive Apple would have to offer lower priced towers, somewhere in the $999-$1999 range at least.
  • Reply 54 of 176
    So is the overall consensus here for a new iMac in August or September?

Also, this 23" monitor is very much just wishful thinking am I right? Is there any evidence to support this possibility? I personally would go for the 20" but it would be nice to see some options.

Sorry but I will soon be purchasing my first mac in late September/early October and I can't frickin wait. I am really just hoping for a speed bump (minor one, I know) and similar design with some other nice upgrades.

Anybody think there is a chance for a larger standard hard drive? I think probably not as 250gigs is quite large already.
  • Reply 55 of 176
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dunebug38

Also, this 23" monitor is very much just wishful thinking am I right?

I am afraid so.

Quote:

Is there any evidence to support this possibility?

No. Just people think that when the 23" price comes down enough, Apple would consider releasing a 23" iMac. But it has to happen to some point if Apple wish to have a consumer desktop capable to decode (it can now thanks to Core Duo) and display (it can't now since the resolution is lower) appropriately 1080p video.

Quote:

Sorry but I will soon be purchasing my first mac in late September/early October and I can't frickin wait. I am really just hoping for a speed bump (minor one, I know) and similar design with some other nice upgrades.

This is the most probable to happen in the coming months.

Quote:

Anybody think there is a chance for a larger standard hard drive? I think probably not as 250gigs is quite large already.

A larger HD I think will come in the update after this one, that is next year. But you never know with Apple. The iMac is their consumer flagship desktop, so there is a light chance to increase HD capacity sooner than later.
  • Reply 56 of 176
    antizeitantizeit Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dunebug38

Also, this 23" monitor is very much just wishful thinking am I right?

In part for sure - but I remember Apple introducing the 20" iMac G4 at a time when this size of LCD for a consumer desktop was absolutely on the bleeding edge of things. They like doing this kind of thing, It simply comes down to the price.

Here´s another view of my wishful thinking

• Reply 57 of 176
    antizeitantizeit Posts: 7member
    or in white, without the beveled edge of the black one:

• Reply 58 of 176
    dunebug38dunebug38 Posts: 27member
    Thanks PB for the very helpful responses. I have to say I'm very excited to see the changes even though I know they may be very small.

It's a love/hate thing with Apple's secretive strategy upon releasing new products. Kind of like when your parent's hid the xmas presents and you kept looking even though you knew it would be so much better to find out when the time came. Pretty lame metaphor I know, but that's kind of how I feel.

I know if I could know what the specs were now I would gladly take the information but that I would be dissapointed I didn't wait.
  • Reply 59 of 176
    It'll be enough for me if they upgrade the processor and video card. I'll jump at the 20" version. Conroe's heat output does consern me however, especially with MacBook's heat problems, not sure if Apple can fit the hotter processor into the pretty confined space of an iMac.

Say, now that Conroes' are coming on-sale this month, would you think there's a possibility we might see the upgraded iMac in the very beginning of August? Also, perhaps Leopard arriving with it? Or is it yet too unfinished to retail this year?
  • Reply 60 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by acidapples

It'll be enough for me if they upgrade the processor and video card. I'll jump at the 20" version. Conroe's heat output does consern me however, especially with MacBook's heat problems, not sure if Apple can fit the hotter processor into the pretty confined space of an iMac.

Say, now that Conroes' are coming on-sale this month, would you think there's a possibility we might see the upgraded iMac in the very beginning of August? Also, perhaps Leopard arriving with it? Or is it yet too unfinished to retail this year?

Leopard December at the earliest, but most likely mid Jan '07.