Intel reportedly delays 'Conroe'... by four days

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know it's unlikely, but could this be a sign of Intel aligning itself with the Apple way of thinking? Maybe a delay for a 'partner' that might be releasing new hardware?

Just speculating.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06...delays_conroe/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hope not, assuming that it's for the Mac Pro. I'd prefer Woodcrest. Then again, Woodcrest might not be the best chip for the Mac Pro, since it is after all a server chip, so who knows!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Server/Workstation actually.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I could see a 2.4 GHz Conroe in a 20" iMac, with the 2.16 version going in the 17 inch. It's cooler than a G5, if I understand right.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    it will be BIG disappointment if

Conroe in Mac Pro

Merom in iMac

may be Mac Pro price drop? and Woodcrest reserved mainly for XServe?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    A Conroe is flat-out non-competitive in the workstation market. Dell is now taking orders for dual-Woodcrest Precision workstations starting at 1800 dollars. XPSes will have Conroe 2.67 GHz chips for about $1600. Apple doesn't have to match that dollar for dollar, but they have to be in the same ballpark.

On the iMac side, Merom maxes out at 2.33 GHz, and is clock-for-clock pricier. If Conroe is cool enough (and it looks possible), Conroe will go in.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Apple+Conroe in Mac Pros =

Apple may as well just tell the Pro app teams to pack their bags.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

A Conroe is flat-out non-competitive in the workstation market. Dell is now taking orders for dual-Woodcrest Precision workstations starting at 1800 dollars. XPSes will have Conroe 2.67 GHz chips for about $1600. Apple doesn't have to match that dollar for dollar, but they have to be in the same ballpark.

On the iMac side, Merom maxes out at 2.33 GHz, and is clock-for-clock pricier. If Conroe is cool enough (and it looks possible), Conroe will go in.

Don't get caught up in the pricing game, a PowerMac/MacPro will come out fairly even every time, against a comparably spec'ed top tier name brand model?

Take the Dell Precision models you mention?

I just spec'ed out out this Dell Precision 690 Workstation; dual 3.0GHz dual-core Xeon 5160s, 4GB of RAM, dual 500GB SATA HDDs, nVidea QuadroFX 4500 & a CD/DVD burner?

US$6,850.00

I realize the Apple offering is still PowerPC, but the quad G5, as spec'ed above, comes in less than the Dell?!

US$6,524.00

As for the whole 'which CPU for the iMac? Conroe or Merom? Whah!' thing, I say the desktop CPU (Conroe) for the desktops (iMac & Mac mini) and the laptop CPU (Merom) for the laptops (MacBook Pro & MacBook)?

Big question is, when does Steve decide to let the new MacPros drop??!?

I hope we don't have to wait until WWDC?

Because the tablets will be the big hardware surprise at WWDC?!

;^p
  • Reply 8 of 37
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Because the tablets will be the big hardware surprise at WWDC?!

;^p

I'd wet myself.

If the processors are not shipping until 10 days before WWDC. What is the difference between that, and 14 days? Does 4 days matter really? I don't think 4 days signifies anything about Apple, and intels plans.

There has always been a spot in the back of my mind that says Apple will throw a Conroe in at least one SP version of the Mac Pro tower. Maybe even two, but I think It's more likely that there will just be the one, and 3 versions of woodcrest available. There also is the chance that there will be no SP version also on the first announcement. Typically Apple does that SP version half way through the first cycle.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    MacRonin - I'm not worried about competitive pricing. I'm just saying, if Apple is going to compete, which they will, then they're gonna have to go Woodcrest Quad in the $2000 model. And so they will.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

MacRonin - I'm not worried about competitive pricing. I'm just saying, if Apple is going to compete, which they will, then they're gonna have to go Woodcrest Quad in the $2000 model. And so they will.

I hope for quads across the line, 2.33GHz / 2.66GHz / 3.0GHz?

Here is the really wishful part?

All 1GB RAM / 500GB HDD / SuperDrive?

All with entry-level pro OpenGL cards (QuadroFX or FireGL)?

US$2K, 2.5K & 3K?

;^p

(Faster OpenGL cards available BTO)
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

[B]I hope for quads across the line, 2.33GHz / 2.66GHz / 3.0GHz?

All quad is pretty reasonable. I see 2.0, 2.33, 3.0 to have a bigger distinction between middle and high-end.

Quote:

Here is the really wishful part?

All 1GB RAM / 500GB HDD / SuperDrive?

SuperDrive ought to be a given. 500GB HDD in all models might be a stretch. I would love it, but expect 320-ish in the low end.

1 GB RAM is not that out there. Given the fact that the top 2 MBPs have it, and the fact that the smallest FB-DIMM I've heard of is 512 (combined with Apple's dual-channel fetish now), I can see 1GB entry RAM ($150ish retail for 2x512)

Quote:

All with entry-level pro OpenGL cards (QuadroFX or FireGL)?

No way. I'd expect at best 7800s in the low end. 7800/7900/7900 with the relevant 7900GT-whatever (however that order goes) BTO, as well as a Quadro. Low-end Quadros cost like double what a 7800 costs.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    As long as they offer the latest PC cards and don't charge cartel prices for them, I'm happy.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    dvd_junkiedvd_junkie Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

As long as they offer the latest PC cards and don't charge cartel prices for them, I'm happy.

Actually, I think it's about time we Mac users get a pro machine where we can upgrade the graphics to our heart's and wallet's satisfaction just so long as somebody provides driver support. Having second class obsolete graphics on a powermac should be history from now on.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

Actually, I think it's about time we Mac users get a pro machine where we can upgrade the graphics to our heart's and wallet's satisfaction just so long as somebody provides driver support. Having second class obsolete graphics on a powermac should be history from now on.

Yup and due Endian problems no longer being a problem I think you might get close to your wish.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    The release date for Conroe has been brought forward now to July 14th.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mwswami

This made me
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Source?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Source?

I can't find the news item I saw but Wikipedia now reflects the new release date.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

I think that as well, but I believe the cards have to be flashed specially to work in EFI motherboards.

If they work hardware-wise though, I agree with you. Even if Mac OS X doesn't have drivers, that shouldn't be a problem since the graphics card can just run in VESA emulation mode.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Interesting.