First time iMac user...im lost

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nascarnate326

When I did software update it had some iPod mini update thing for my iPod. I let it do it and now I can log in and the music store is normal. Werid.

Figured my musics gone. My backup DVD burn didnt work, should have checked before I formated my pc. O well. Thanks.

In iTunes, there's a menu item for "check for purchased music."
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nascarnate326

Figured my musics gone. My backup DVD burn didnt work, should have checked before I formated my pc. O well. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Not normally. If you phone them up and ask very nicely you might be able to get them to let you do it. It is your responsibility to back up your music.

Just to clarify: I have heard of people doing this and being allowed to re-download. It isn't guaranteed, but it is possible, so it's worth trying. Tell them that you backed up to DVD, that your PC crashed, but then the DVD failed. They might be sympathetic to your plight.

Also, have you sorted your DVD problem?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

In iTunes, there's a menu item for "check for purchased music."

That won't work for stuff that you've already completely downloaded. If you want to re-download tracks, you have to phone up and beg first.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

That won't work for stuff that you've already completely downloaded. If you want to re-download tracks, you have to phone up and beg first.

Ah. Well there you go.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Tell them you just switched to a Mac and didn't realise you couldn't...they will be even more sympathetic then!!!!! You'll find people in this forum are more than happy to help newbies!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Just to clarify: I have heard of people doing this and being allowed to re-download. It isn't guaranteed, but it is possible, so it's worth trying. Tell them that you backed up to DVD, that your PC crashed, but then the DVD failed. They might be sympathetic to your plight.

Also, have you sorted your DVD problem?

• Reply 26 of 27
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Additional advice, and this is crucial, is don't treat it like Windows (see here. Note: some items in the guide are 10.4 only). If you're having problems doing something, don't be afraid of looking in the "help" menu.

I strongly second this! Also, using Spotlight in System Preferences (the little search field in the upper right corner of the Preferences window) is extremely useful to find how/where to change prefs. You can even search for Windows prefs. and it'll show the corresponding Mac ones...

Also, Panther is an excellent operating system. At this point, with Leopard months away, there's no point upgrading.(If you absolutely want widgets (the only big end-user upgrade in Tiger??) you could always use Konfabulator).

And, Welcome...
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Thanks for all the comments but the backlight went out on my display. Im going to order a new inverter from welovemacs.com for $ 79.99. From what ive read this should be it. I reset the Pram( 4 restarts) and something else too with 5 restarts. Wish me luck. I may have to go back to x86 if I cant fix this.