Stolen IPOD

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    i guess it dosent matter for me anymore. my ipod crashed last night.

now im trying to get in touch with apple.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wezy904wezy904 Posts: 4member
    The ownership issue work around would be simple. Upon registration apple sends you a virtual owners certificate. It has a date, username and password associated with it. If at any point you want to sell your ipod you forward this email to the purchaser, and then the new owner chooses a new password. Apple then sends them the new updated virtual ownership certificate.

This way you cannot sell something that doesnt legitimately belong to you.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I was at my aunt's house, and I had just listened to it. I put it in my bag, and I didn't think that my family would ever steal from me. When I went to look for it, it was gone. I told my mom, and everyone started this frantic search. Two of my cousins have been known for stealing. One of which wanted one, and the other who was eyeing it earlier and got mad when I refused to let her see it. She was watching where I put the IPOD. My mom is like we can just buy a new one, and I'm like it's not about that. That was $250, and I wouldn't dream of making them pay for it. What the person who stole it doesn't realize is that I am registered on this site that tracks IPODs if they are stolen. On top of that, my IPOD was about to die. The little bar was red. I am so pissed off. I was going off on my family last night. What made me suspicious of these two people is that once the search for it started, they both ducked off. When I confronted her, she backed up and looked scared as hell. I told her that I have no problem getting law enforcement officials involved. Some of my family members work with the police department so it's really no problem. I would rather you ask and me give it to you. I don't want to have to lock my stuff up in my car when I visit somebody's house. I intend on getting my IPOD back. It's not even about the IPOD. It's about the fact that I cannot even trust my own family. What kills me the most is that the person went into my person and bypassed the digital camera, jewelry, cell phones, credit cards, and everything else. This person was on a mission to get that IPOD. That leaves one person. I can eliminate my male cousin because he wouldn't want a bright pink IPOD video. Yeah, right. My female cousin is the one who has it, and if I find out that she does, hell will come to earth that day.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    atrium42atrium42 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asaph View Post

... maybe because that is a horrible invasion of privacy issue?

It feels like such an invasion, I must be violated... call the ACLU! This is truly the attitude of the thief. As for me, I consider it reasonable and prudent that I can register my S/N and/or MAC address (for iTouch) and use a LoJack service to prosecute the perpetrator. Oh, LoJack is already in service for cars and laptops!

If you turn on a wireless device, be it a cell phone, laptop, whatever, or if you plug into the wired communications infrastructure - you have NO privacy, period. Just look at the number of programs that Apple has running on your PC that connect your PC to them, then tell me what information is Apple sending from your device to their databases? Let's bust the guilty and stop living in a fantasy of privacy.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Ugh - when is Apple going to do something - anything. Everyone under the sun is tracking information - so why can't Apple track IPs and serial numbers of a stolen ipod.

I found some sites online to report a stolen iPod, but the best one appeared to be http://www.stolen-property.com/

Hopefully sites like this, and Apple someday, will deter iPod theft.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Would you expect your mobile phone network to track your phone if it was stolen? I wouldn't.

In the UK, there's a national database of stolen phones. If your phone is stolen, it becomes unusable on any network. I believe they also log if it tries to connect, but not having used it personally I'm not sure.

Not that I necessarily think Apple should do something like this, but the phone companies weren't a great example.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj View Post

Yes you can do that with mobile phones, the sim card gets deactivated when you claim it is stolen, although it may cost you something. Obviously iPods aren't wireless, so the method of disabling them would not be as fool proof as the mobile phone solution, however it is a solution nonetheless.

It's not the SIM card that they track it by, it's the phone's IMEI number. While that can be spoofed as well, it's nowhere near as easy as just changing a SIM card.

Amorya
  • Reply 27 of 34
    After having three Ipods stolen after my car was broken into, I have one question for all those opposed to Itunes preventing Ipods from syncing.

Where did you get YOUR Ipod?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    i guess it dosent matter for me anymore. my ipod crashed yesterday.

now im trying to get in touch with apple.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I find it quite interesting that everyone replied that such practice would be an invasion of privacy. In order to post to this forum one must register. That registration requires your date of birth and email. When one registers an IPod it requires everything but your underwear size. That information is stored and connected to that device. ITunes requires BANKING information to complete purchases... How's that not a privacy issue?

If/When the device is stolen regardless of what Apple claims, it can be tracked. There should be a method of informing the original owner that their device has been located and proper authorities should be notified. I agree that the original owner should not be provided with details on the person registering the device but someone that CAN take action should be notified. I have never had this happen to me personally so I am not speaking out of anger or resentment just common sense. I know a musician that had this happen to him. On his stolen device he stored original recordings that were used to communicated with band members before studio work was done. Who's to stop the IPod thief from stealing his original ideas? He is a seasoned verteran and copyrights his material. I personally think that if someone has the nerve to STEAL they do not deserve the common curtousy of their identity remaining private. If someone broke into your home and took something of value and let's say you had security cameras. Would you not know the identity of the thief? Wouldn't that be an invasion of PRIVACY??
  • Reply 30 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post

I found http://www.stolenlostfound.net - you can report your stolen iPod on it plus it really has some great information on it. My stolen ipod report appeared on Google the day after I reported it, hopefully it gets it back - my whole life was on my iPod \

Not very good chances of him getting it back. It was stolen FIVE YEARS AGO.

And this site doesn't have much chance of working. The Find My iPhone app for iDevices and Undercover for Macs can take care of everything. Losing an iPod shuffle, nano, or classic are all you have to worry about.
  • Reply 31 of 34

With all the info APPLE asks for, why don't they have some sort of system in place for things that are stolen?  These Ipod's are NOT cheap - you have to buy the ipod, buy itunes....etc - Why isn't there something in place when they get stolen??? I am sure they have enough $$

And yes, I too am a PISSED off customer that got their IPOD stolen!

• Reply 32 of 34

Originally Posted by bugz View Post

With all the info APPLE asks for…

Eh? That's private.

…why don't they have some sort of system in place for things that are stolen?

• Reply 33 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugz View Post

With all the info APPLE asks for, why don't they have some sort of system in place for things that are stolen?  These Ipod's are NOT cheap - you have to buy the ipod, buy itunes....etc - Why isn't there something in place when they get stolen??? I am sure they have enough $$

And yes, I too am a PISSED off customer that got their IPOD stolen!

I'm sorry, but as you grow up, you'll learn to take better care of your belongings. Don't leave your iPod on a table at school and expect it to be there when you get back from the bathroom. Don't leave it in your bag, unlocked, while you go and play some hoops. Don't leave it on the lunch table at the cafeteria when you go get some more veggie lasagna.

• Reply 34 of 34

Originally Posted by ton ton View Post

…learn to take better care of your belongings.

Oh, thank goodness. Someone else that still believes this.