macbook turning itself off

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham


    my macbook keeps turning itself off. first of all it only did it once a day, now its more than 5.



    i have noticed that it has only happed since i started running 10.4.7. i dont know if it coincidence, or if it is linked to the update. i have tried running it without the battery, and it still happens, so it cant be that.



    do you guys have any ideas on what it could be. if it continues after the next firmwire update, then i will be taking it back and demanding a new one.



    thanks



    http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate11.html i know there is a forum thread thing on this BUT when i was googling to see why my macbook kept turning off this came up really high up so if anyone else comes here they can just follow that link...
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nzdesignagirl


    http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate11.html i know there is a forum thread thing on this BUT when i was googling to see why my macbook kept turning off this came up really high up so if anyone else comes here they can just follow that link...



    um, read ^
  • Reply 63 of 66
    greg sgreg s Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post


    My MacBook has officially joined the random shut down club.



    Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I'm now in this club.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    People with the sudden shutdown problem may be interested in this.



    I just tried this. In addition I've tried resetting the PMU, as someone stated earlier in this thread.



    I have also installed the SMCFanControl, but no luck... though its nice. Yes, I have the SMC Firmware update from apple.



    The thing is, is that my Macbook does not randomly shut down when I'm using the AC adapter. Only when I'm using just the battery is when I run into these random shut downs.



    I'll see if resetting the PMU or whatever works for me. If not, then I'll be back.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greg S View Post


    The thing is, is that my Macbook does not randomly shut down when I'm using the AC adapter. Only when I'm using just the battery is when I run into these random shut downs.



    I'll see if resetting the PMU or whatever works for me. If not, then I'll be back.



    FYI: my link above no longer links to what it did when originally posted.



    My Macbook also randomly shuts down sometimes, when the battery is very low - instead of going to sleep the machine shuts off completely. Is it the same for you? I think that's a slightly different problem from the original one - in that case the machines were shutting off without warning at any moment.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    greg sgreg s Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    FYI: my link above no longer links to what it did when originally posted.



    My Macbook also randomly shuts down sometimes, when the battery is very low - instead of going to sleep the machine shuts off completely. Is it the same for you? I think that's a slightly different problem from the original one - in that case the machines were shutting off without warning at any moment.



    The site that you linked helped, though. So thanks for that and your reply. My Macbook has the issue where it shuts down without warning. I tested it today, fully charged battery and my Mac shut off when it hit 85% charge mark. Then it didn't happen again and I was able to go all the way down to the 12% mark on only the battery.



    But here's a question for you or anyone that went through these random shutdowns: Did any of these random shutdowns happen when you were only using the AC adapter? Or did they only happen when you were only using the battery?



    Again, for me, these random shutdowns are only happening when I'm just relying on the battery - which makes me think it could be a battery issue.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    cheehaicheehai Posts: 8member
    i had my MacBook Pro behave similarly although not persistently. apple getting as bad as Microsoft with all the firmware upgrades, at least overall performance doesn't decline as it usually does with Windows systems requiring a reinstall every now and again.
Sign In or Register to comment.