When is it a Lemon?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A close friend of mine, on my recommendation, bought an iMac G5 about a year ago. This computer has now been sent for repair four times within that time. When should a computer be considered a Lemon and just be replaced with a new model?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I would say two or three is enough. Four times, then definitely, it is a lemon. I would hope that your friend's warranty hasn't run out. I would go to an Apple store and demand to get it replaced.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Ditto. AFAIK after 3 repairs it is considered a lemon. Tell him to call Customer Services and demand a new machine.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Thanks guys.

I just spoke with my friend, and it turns out he took out an extended warranty on the iMac because the one year Apple Care warranty was due to expire at the end of this week.

Couple of more questions:

1. Will the extended warranty cover the new replacement if the G5 iMac breaks down again. The extended warranty coverage is for another 2 years.

2. Will the replacement iMac, if it comes to that, still be a G5 model, or will it be one of the Intel models.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    badllamabadllama Posts: 11member
    they have to replace it with one that is equal to or better than the origional machine. Really whatever is in stock that they can give you.

Also, in the US a car is considered a lemon after 3 repairs in the first 90 days of ownership, not sure if this applies to other purchases or not.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    The extended warranty is the same warranty but it lasts 3 years instead of 1.

If he gets a replacement it will likely be an Intel iMac (new or refurbished).
  • Reply 6 of 23
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    It may will be an Intel mac, round the same value as the G5 one, that is, if they don't have any iMac G5s. They have spares, obviously, but they probably won't have any whole machines left, afaik, Apple was trying to clear out all of its G5 iMac stock when the Intel ones went on sale.

So hopefully, your friend could end up with an Intel iMac. It should be brand new, not refurbished.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Lemon laws vary state by state.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    [Sarcasm]

Wait. Occam whisker has a friend? [/Sarcasm]
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

[Sarcasm]

Wait. Occam whisker has a friend? [/Sarcasm]

Ha! Does your mother count? I only see her when I get horny and have some pocket change.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Oops. Must of lost them sarcasm tags.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by occam whisker

Oops. Must of lost them sarcasm tags.

... and tact.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

... and tact.

You think so? So how would you tell a miserable mutt to fsck off?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

You think so? So how would you tell a miserable mutt to fsck off?

The goal of any intelligent conversation should be to push forward the notion that human kind is capable of at least segmental progression of mind.

Whether we establish this conjecture in the opening volleys of debate or after the ruinous words have dissipated, it is of little matter, as long as it is so established at some point.

Of course, application of any of this to internet discourse is profoundly stupid.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    And to answer your question, you ask if they actually have a friend.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

And to answer your question, you ask if they actually have a friend.

heh.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

heh.

Nice. Keep encouraging him.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Nice. Keep encouraging him.

It was funny and he didn't resort to insulting your mom.

So, anyway, tell your friend to take the machine back immediately. Have the service center look at the Applecare repair history. Ask for a new machine. If they refuse, escalate.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

It was funny and he didn\\'t resort to insulting your mom.

So, anyway, tell your friend to take the machine back immediately. Have the service center look at the Applecare repair history. Ask for a new machine. If they refuse, escalate.

A MacInTouch reader writes that problems with the failed G5 PMs (and possibly iMacs) might be related to Lead-free solders.

Here are the causes:

1. Lead-free solders require higher melting temperatures which shortens component lifetimes including microprocessors, memory and printed wiring boards which warp.

2. Lead-free solder joints are inherently unreliable. The problem is so bad that the US military, and others around the world, have banned lead-free solder products since the reliability is terrible and weapons systems could hit the wrong targets. Other product categories that are now exempt from lead-free solders are medical devices, servers, telecommunications systems and the list is growing.

3. Lead-free solder joints fail frequently--sometimes catastrophically and others are intermittent which are difficult to troubleshoot. The new solders have a very high tin content and will sprout so-called tin whiskers (dendritic growths) that can short out logic boards and/or create new logic paths. This happens more often in high temperature and high humidity operating conditions.

:-/
  • Reply 19 of 23
    It's all conjecture, right?

You don't know what is wrong with your friend's current computer and you probably don't care to know as long as you have something functioning in your hands... Call apple care, and move up the ladder until you can get someone to confirm a replacement unit.

Patience and diligence. I have an ex who worked her way up dell's customer service until she was talking directly to someone who worked directly for michael dell (when he was still CEO), she got a free new laptop out of it because of the crap repair work that was performed on her laptop...

Honestly, I was impressed by her willingness to pursue it and tone -- she never got angry but had a raw bitterness in everyone of her discussions with the dell support people...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

It\\'s all conjecture, right?

You don\\'t know what is wrong with your friend\\'s current computer and you probably don\\'t care to know as long as you have something functioning in your hands... Call apple care, and move up the ladder until you can get someone to confirm a replacement unit.

Patience and diligence. I have an ex who worked her way up dell\\'s customer service until she was talking directly to someone who worked directly for michael dell (when he was still CEO), she got a free new laptop out of it because of the crap repair work that was performed on her laptop...

Honestly, I was impressed by her willingness to pursue it and tone -- she never got angry but had a raw bitterness in everyone of her discussions with the dell support people...

He wont bother if Apple tries to give him the run around. He\\'ll just put the unit on ebay after the next repair and go back to using a wintel machine. It\\'s only because of my persuasion that the machine is not on ebay already.