Woodcrest to power Apple's next-gen Mac Pro desktops

Comments

• Reply 181 of 225
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

That's an excellent point. Apple cinema displays ought to consider this functionality. Especially given their price. The iMac would be better with this built into the side IMO.

Hmm! Do you think the displays get much say in what's placed in them?
  • Reply 182 of 225
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

At least an SD slot since about 90% of cameras sold use it.

If it's a pro machine, then it would need Compact Flash slot, because all pro cameras have that, at least as their main memory storage medium.

There are adapters for the smaller formats, but not the other way around.
  • Reply 183 of 225
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Hmm! Do you think the displays get much say in what's placed in them?

Well no I guess. For the price Apple charges fro ACD added functionality would be nice.
  • Reply 184 of 225
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Hey, interesting thread, I gave my friend who works at P____ a call and we met for beers. Between our rabid bouts of "Bush bashing," he told me about Apple's new Mac Pro towers, a few prototypes of which he's had the honor of testing. Here's the scoop.

Expect lower prices, because Intel gets better yields than IBM. Apple's price is lower for Intel CPUs than IBM or Motorola CPUs, by a significant amount, because a 3 GHz Woody isn't as far out on the yield distribution as a 2.7 GHz PPC 980. Of further importance is that a 3 GHz Woodcrest runs far cooler than a 2.7 GHz G5, so Apple's effective CPU cost is even lower.

$1799. 2.33 GHz dual Xeon Woodies.

$2199. 2.66 GHz dual Xeon Woodies.

$2799. 3.0 GHz dual Xeon Woodies.

Don't let the case design fool you. AI is right about the outside, but inside Apple has saved mondo space with a smaller cooling system. Expect two optical drives, along with four SATA2 HD bays, and similar PCI expansion to current Powermacs. The mobo is nothing short of incredible; expect a few innovations that will blow you away.

My friend reports that these towers are beasts, and that Final Cut Pro is an entirely new experience. He says FCP on a Woody is superior to ANYTHING he has used before for video editing. In fact due to the performance, he originally thought the prototype had 8 cores, and found it unbelievable when he first heard that it had only 4 cores. This is as good as it gets, folks, and finally Mac towers will meet or likely exceed the performance of any Wintel hardware.

My source says that if the Woddies cannot break the sales slump of Mac towers, then Apple may as well just quit making them.
  • Reply 185 of 225
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Don't let the case design fool you. AI is right about the outside, but inside Apple has saved mondo space with a smaller cooling system. Expect two optical drives, along with four SATA2 HD bays, and similar PCI expansion to current Powermacs. The mobo is nothing short of incredible; expect a few innovations.

I remember that at the last Intel Developer Conference, one of the Keynote presenters said that Apple had been a challenging (in a good way) customer. This made me think that there will definitely be some unique things there beyond just slapping FW800 and some extra PCI-Express lanes in an existing PC workstation mobo ...
  • Reply 186 of 225
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    J.D., when did you become Deep Throat?

It WOULD be fun to show Call to Duty 2 running on both Bootcamp and Leopard beating out a Dell running XP!!!

I really would love to know what price Apple gets compared to HP and Dell and Sony for those chips and mobo's. If Steve can show price comparisons of several Macs with realistically customized pc's and show they cost the same and are more stable, flexible, faster and more secure ... this could be a developers conference that the rest of the market really takes seriously.

I still like the way they showed the elegance of the IBM PPC boards though, with the clean I/O and memory busses in nice blue graphics. It may take an Ives to make Intel designs look elegant.
  • Reply 187 of 225
    I think my face would explode if what J.D. said was true. But I think he's joking, or having his leg pulled, because unless Apple is getting massive discounts on the 1000-lot prices on chips and motherboards, that low-end computer has exactly $0 margin for Apple.
  • Reply 188 of 225
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

I agree this would be a dream come true!

I think Apple can come up with a Quad 2.00/2.33/3.00 line-up within the current price points $1999/2499/3299.

But I hope they split the line in two offering 2 Conroe based models and 2 woodcrest based models:

*** 1 optical drive, 2 HD spaces, 2 PCIe slots ***

$1399 C2D 2.67GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, X1600Pro

$1999 C2D 2.93GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HD, X1800GTO

*** 2 optical drives, 4 HD spaces, 4/6 PCIe slots ***

$2499 Xeon Q 2.33GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HD, X1800GTO

$3299 Xeon Q 3.00GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HD, X1800GTO
  • Reply 189 of 225
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

J.D., when did you become Deep Throat?

That's always been one of his talents... at least when it concerns his own parts.
  • Reply 190 of 225
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Hey, interesting thread, I gave my friend who works at P____ a call and we met for beers. Between our rabid bouts of "Bush bashing," he told me about Apple's new Mac Pro towers, a few prototypes of which he's had the honor of testing. Here's the scoop.

Expect lower prices, because Intel gets better yields than IBM. Apple's price is lower for Intel CPUs than IBM or Motorola CPUs, by a significant amount, because a 3 GHz Woody isn't as far out on the yield distribution as a 2.7 GHz PPC 980. Of further importance is that a 3 GHz Woodcrest runs far cooler than a 2.7 GHz G5, so Apple's effective CPU cost is even lower.

Don't let the case design fool you. AI is right about the outside, but inside Apple has saved mondo space with a smaller cooling system. Expect two optical drives, along with four SATA2 HD bays, and similar PCI expansion to current Powermacs. The mobo is nothing short of incredible; expect a few innovations that will blow you away.

My friend reports that these towers are beasts, and that Final Cut Pro is an entirely new experience. He says FCP on a Woody is superior to ANYTHING he has used before for video editing. In fact due to the performance, he originally thought the prototype had 8 cores, and found it unbelievable when he first heard that it had only 4 cores. This is as good as it gets, folks, and finally Mac towers will meet or likely exceed the performance of any Wintel hardware.

My source says that if the Woddies cannot break the sales slump of Mac towers, then Apple may as well just quit making them.

i don't believe you you say "don't let the case design fool you" well what does that mean? are the case designs changing or not?
  • Reply 191 of 225
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted bu Junk Yard Dog

That is an awesome price! Insanely awesome price! Imagine Apple marketing a woodcrest PC that PC users can use (windows on a Mac) at such a great price. OMG. That will definitely have record sales of immense proportions. That could possibly be the best selling computer this year from anyone.
  • Reply 192 of 225
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    It's not true. Xeon 5100-series chips just aren't that cheap. In fact, I don't see Apple having sub-$2K systems that aren't using Core 2 Duo instead. Let's not forget that the company doesn't just have to offer a faster system; it has to at least match the existing clock speeds for psychological effect, if not exceed them. Using Xeons makes this harder to do at reasonable prices.

I'd rather see a lineup like this:

$1799 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo

$2299 - 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo

$2999 - Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 5150

$3999 - Dual 3 GHz Xeon 5150

Even then, it's questionable as to whether or not Apple would do this. Bumping up the clock speed of the Xeons from 2.66 to 3 GHz can easily bring the price up by several hundred dollars by itself. Apple may stop at 2.66 GHz in its default configurations and offer 3 GHz only as a build-to-order option.
  • Reply 193 of 225
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Just to let people who are newer to the forums know, Junkyard Dog has often, in the past, made posts about "getting some guy drunk" and finding out specs.

He's not being serious.
  • Reply 194 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

I agree this would be a dream come true!

I think Apple can come up with a Quad 2.00/2.33/3.00 line-up within the current price points $1999/2499/3299.

I hope so. That's what I want to see.

Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

*** 1 optical drive, 2 HD spaces, 2 PCIe slots ***

$1399 C2D 2.67GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, X1600Pro

$1999 C2D 2.93GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HD, X1800GTO

That 2.93 GHz C2D costs $999!! That's the 1000-unit price, as I understand it, but it's more than 2 mid-range (2.00 or 2.33) Woodcrests.

I could see the xMac being $1500 and $1700/1800 if it was 2.4 & 2.67 GHz. That'd be semi-competitive with an XPS, and won't neuter Conroe iMacs at 2.13 and 2.4 GHz.

That'd leave the 2.4 GHz xMac a few hundred cheaper than the 2.4 GHz iMac, but you give up a 20 inch screen, Front Row, and the iSight.
  • Reply 195 of 225
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

That 2.93 GHz C2D costs $999!! That's the 1000-unit price, as I understand it, but it's more than 2 mid-range (2.00 or 2.33) Woodcrests.

Yes it's true but think of the Conroe models using a "standard" Intel chipset/motherboard/parts and a smaller version of the current powermac enclosure that leaves $1000 value for all the components except the CPU. Look at the price of the MacBooks and tell me that it's not cheap compared to the the iMacs or MacBook Pro prices. Apple could do it.
  • Reply 196 of 225
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

It's not true. Xeon 5100-series chips just aren't that cheap. In fact, I don't see Apple having sub-$2K systems that aren't using Core 2 Duo instead. Let's not forget that the company doesn't just have to offer a faster system; it has to at least match the existing clock speeds for psychological effect, if not exceed them. Using Xeons makes this harder to do at reasonable prices.

I'd rather see a lineup like this:

$1799 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo

$2299 - 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo

$2999 - Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 5150

$3999 - Dual 3 GHz Xeon 5150

Even then, it's questionable as to whether or not Apple would do this. Bumping up the clock speed of the Xeons from 2.66 to 3 GHz can easily bring the price up by several hundred dollars by itself. Apple may stop at 2.66 GHz in its default configurations and offer 3 GHz only as a build-to-order option.

I wasn't saying it was (true) I was merely saying "IF" that were the price points that will be the best selling Mac of all time, and probably the best selling computer this year. But I don't make predictions with prices attached. I just predict systems. It's a lot easier to predict.
  • Reply 197 of 225
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGregor

...It WOULD be fun to show Call to Duty 2 running on both Bootcamp and Leopard beating out a Dell running XP!!!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Apple will ship the stock Mac Pro systems with LAME garphics cards. Just look at the 6600LE and 6600 that come with the PowerMac G5s - Yeah FinalCutStudio SCREAMs nonetheless but 3D gaming with a 6600 or 6600LE on your expensive beautiful PowerMac G5 is just embarassing.

I suppose though in your comparison as long as you're using the same graphics card in the Mac Pro and the Dell you can do your comparison and show the Mac Pro handing the Dell it's a$$.
  • Reply 198 of 225
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Just to let people who are newer to the forums know, Junkyard Dog has often, in the past, made posts about "getting some guy drunk" and finding out specs.

Although indeed Junkyard Dog made in the past claims like that (and more, for those who still remember ), I think it was someone else that started this really amusing AI tradition, but I forgot which one.
  • Reply 199 of 225
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Although indeed Junkyard Dog made in the past claims like that (and more, for those who still remember ), I think it was someone else that started this really amusing AI tradition, but I forgot which one.

I believe you're correct but that was before my time, so I don't know who it was either.
  • Reply 200 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Additionally, R&D is probably confined to the case and motherboard, because the RAM, HDD, video card, and chips are standard

The video cards / other plug cards may need a efi bios