G3 Macs - still going strong?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I'm still using a 400Mhz "Pismo" PowerBook with a G3 as my primary and only computer. I bought it in March 2000, and it's been a great computer for me. I recently upgraded the hard drive when I realized I wasn't going to have enough money for a new computer in the near future.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.7 and I have 512 MB RAM. The computer is fine for general computer usage, e-mail, web browsing, programming, web development, music, photos, and 2D games.

I honestly don't "need" a newer faster computer, but I'll probably get one next year or whenever this one dies on me. It's proven to be worth it's $2500 purchase price. It's outlived many laptops I've seen many other people buy.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    We have a 400mhz iMacDVSE graphite that my daughter uses for schoolwork and communicating with her friends. It is up to date with Tiger.

We put a 7200 rpm hard drive in it a few years back when the original broke and gave it a gig of RAM. While I am not surprised that it still works, I am still surprised at how fast it is.

It is rumored that Leopard will be even quicker and that will also apply to G3's. That is fantastic if true.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Couple of old G3 questions:

Has anyone heard of hard drives overheating and busting because of the hard drive enclosure? I want to add a whopper to my G3.

How about iLife '05 or '06, anyone running these on their old iMac?

just a bit curious
  • Reply 24 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iPhoto 6.0 runs on a G3, even though the Installer will tell you it won't. However, you don't get access to all the functionality.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I, like jasenj1 am using an old Blue and White 350 mhz G3. I am running 10.4.6 and runs smoothly. I have the Ram maxed out and I have added a second hard drive and so that helps. The only time it really runs slow is if I'm working on a super large Photoshop file or a crazy Illustrator file.

jasenj1, are you happy with the performance from the upgrade card? I have long thought about getting a cpu upgrade but I just thought I would wait and get a new Mac. Now I'm thinking to maybe purchase an upgrade to hold me over for a while longer.