Apple pulls educational iMac from online store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Could it be there is pent up demand for sub $1000 macs? Not minis without a monitor and keyboard but a complete mac system for less than 1k.

Although you can add a monitor and keyboard to a mini and still end up comfortably below $1k. This is a great deal though. Or was.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Although you can add a monitor and keyboard to a mini and still end up comfortably below $1k. This is a great deal though. Or was.

That's true but it's not an Apple display. If some one is shopping for a system and don't have an old display and keyboard to reuse they can't buy a mini 'system' from Apple for less than 1k. The ACDs start at $799. So they have to go to new egg or some other vendor to get the display. I wonder if this deters sales. If the edu iMac was truely pulled from the Apple store because ti was eating into 'regular' iMac sales maybe Apple should sell less expensive displays at the Apple store so that a buyer can configure a mini system for less than 1k. The displays don't even have to be an Apple brand.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    It distresses me to say it, but I doubt large institutional sales were the reason the ed iMac was pulled. No doubt there have been institutional sales, but @ $899 this is a very high price for educational institutions.

I lean toward the view that this ed iMac was seen as a threat to the other iMac sales and profit, so was pulled in order to protect profits.

Nothing wrong with that, except it gives Apple another PR problem to go along with all the others.\
  • Reply 24 of 33
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

My guess is that Apple started to get bulk institutional orders they could barely fill--so they had to stop offering to individuals rather than turn down or delay the big orders. Which wouldn't have to mean the model was outselling other iMacs, merely that it was selling enough to interfere with the big orders.

After all, many of those individuals will "settle" for some other Mac. But an institution might not.

Hey!

What the hell are you doing posting a well reasoned and realistic argument for this? Man, you need to help feed the conspiracy theories! Seriously!

• Reply 25 of 33
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 352member
    The $899 iMac is not available at the Apple Educational Online Store either.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

The $899 iMac is not available at the Apple Educational Online Store either.

Isn't that precisely what the topic says?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It distresses me to say it, but I doubt large institutional sales were the reason the ed iMac was pulled. No doubt there have been institutional sales, but @ $899 this is a very high price for educational institutions.

They are not paying $899. The institutions are likely buying large orders which would lower the price. And Apple is bidding against Dell which would lower the price.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I was probably a few hours from ordering the $899 iMac for my elementary school teacher wife and seventh grade daughter when I discovered by 9am on the first day of the new policy that a change had been made.

We simply don't need a DVD Burner (which our PC clone has and we can .mac over to if needed) and we don't need a big hard drive (the unit is really for educational needs) especially with external drives available as last ditch lifeboats.

We do very much need the $899 price so that we can also purchase appleCare and .Mac and Student Office and still keep the price within reach.

I believe in the Apple product but there is a limit to what I can spend. I can be unhappy but not as poor with another wintel clone.

In the words of Oscar's Billy Bigelow

"Reckon my sins are good big sins,

And the punishment won't be small;

So take me before the highest throne

And let me be judged by the highest Judge of all"

The iMac is heaven, if I have to wait until I can afford it I may be singing to a different judge....

Respectfully

Scott

PS - I have to admit that I was one of those told by the Apple staff that the edu iMac was pulled because it wasn't selling well, which sadly had the same credibility ring as of one of this season's early bad campaign ads.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    it was only on the store fot less than 1 week how could you judge sales on a product that had on marketing and was on sale only for a week
  • Reply 30 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by furious_

it was only on the store fot less than 1 week how could you judge sales on a product that had on marketing and was on sale only for a week

Apple anticipates demand for lets say 50k units per month -- takes orders for 50k in first week between instetutions and indeviduals...so they kill indevidual ordering but leave instatutionals open because instetutions place orders with lead time: that is if a lab were to be built in mid-july, the computers would have likly been ordered in June with a delivery date in mid-july.

Moral of the story: they ramp up production, fill backorders then put it back up --- I say it will be back by Aug 1.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by backtomac

That's true but it's not an Apple display. If some one is shopping for a system and don't have an old display and keyboard to reuse they can't buy a mini 'system' from Apple for less than 1k. The ACDs start at $799. So they have to go to new egg or some other vendor to get the display. I wonder if this deters sales. If the edu iMac was truely pulled from the Apple store because ti was eating into 'regular' iMac sales maybe Apple should sell less expensive displays at the Apple store so that a buyer can configure a mini system for less than 1k. The displays don't even have to be an Apple brand.

This is the thing that baffles me to no end in my city. There are at least 6 major Apple Resellers at malls which are patronised decently by the middle-to-higher incomes.

There are absolutely NO deals where you can get a Mac Mini and with a non-Apple keyboard, mouse, and a non-Apple 15" 1024x768 LCD.

Unless for some reason Apple Asia is not allowing resellers to do this.

People walking in, look at this small box, and just don't really know WTF it is. Sell it as a decent package (and there are various credit options via participating major banks) as a complete, excellent computer for the cost, and at least the Mac Mini becomes 10x more attractive...! Mention that it also run Windows, or better, demonstrate that it also runs Windows, and that should increase the attractiveness of the Mac Mini even further. The Mac Mini G4 was good overall. The core Solo Mac Mini is still good. And it runs Windows.

Sell it as a friggin' full-computer package so that people GET what it is about...! For chrissakes. Discounts on the LCD panels when bought as an entire package, for chrissakes.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    in Australia apple could scrape the Mini all to geather and replace it with the edu iMac. because the Mini was 949$ for the solo and 1249$ for the duo the edu iMac was only 1549$ and was such a better product.

when dell sell pent D's, Keyborad and 19' LCD monitor for 599$ the mini looks shockingly over priced. but so does the iMac.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

"Cost is the most important factor to the masses." (Solsun)

Cost is critical for many people. It isn't easy to come up with $1,000 for a new computer if you have average income and average expenses - especially if you have kids!

In looking at the education iMac, however, my thinking is that it has more than enough horsepower for an average user. Your "average" consumer will not be into the apps that require quad processors - they'll be into email, surfing the internet, iPhoto (maybe Photoshop Elements) etc. In this environment the lower spec iMac would thrive. (It already kicks my 1.5 PB to there & back and I use the PB as my business computer - 18 windows open on it right now.)

there are "average" consumer that want betten video then gma 950 and thay also want head less with that too.