iPhone, iPod messenger clues in latest iPod software

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

considering the current phones in Tokyo are 7 megapixel. I'd say yes.

we are far behind the times.

Indeed, we have 1.3 MPixel crappy photos instead of the super high res crap the Japanese have. I can't wait!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

considering the current phones in Tokyo are 7 megapixel. I'd say yes.

Who cares about megapixel. Or perhaps you take media pictures with a phone? If they can't get the optics in there, it's pretty much worthless anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zandros

Who cares about megapixel. Or perhaps you take media pictures with a phone? If they can't get the optics in there, it's pretty much worthless anyway.

the 3 megapixel sony camera phones take surprisingly good photos, but even those aren't in USA yet... i don't know what you're talking about man...
  • Reply 24 of 34
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Why would Apple have source code of an unmade product when they can add functionality with a firmware update? Seems sloppy for a company as stringent as Apple (although I do believe they actually leak the details they want leaked). I think this source code is most likely nothing.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I don't know. Something's fishy. However you think Apple's going to go, it seems like you either have to give them too much or too little credit.

They were looking ahead when they brought out the iPod. Brought a high-end HD mp3 player to a dismal market with no real competition at that level. They didn't enter flash until they could bring out a mid- to high-end player with a color screen. Both times they entered the market a bit late, but with a powerful, mid- to high-end presence.

Now there are a bunch of cell phones that double as mp3 players. Soon they ALL will, and if Apple doesn't do something, they will end up selling their B&W one-trick pony in a two-trick market. What to do?

If you give them too little credit, you imagine them coming out, logically, with a nice cell phone / mp3 player. However, looking at the two above examples, it's not really their style to follow the market.

If we give them too much credit, we imagine them going Phone + iPod + ¿? Could it be VoIP? Super-tastic video a la PSP? I think, for some reason, perhaps lack of any evidence to support it, that believing either of these two things will lead to disappointment.

So what could the "+" be, given that it will be a Phone +mp3 + ¿? ?

--B
  • Reply 25 of 34
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    ...double post....
  • Reply 27 of 34
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zandros

Nokia have some pretty decent cameras in their phones now... some with auto-focus and Zeiss optics. (They also have some crappy ones in other models.)
  • Reply 28 of 34
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    How great that is, I'm a Mac news celebrity now

Thank you for the kind comments I read Macsurfer just about everyday since a very long time, and I was pleasantly surprise to find this AppleInsider story in the top 4 headlines. Does it happen often that an AppleInsider gets that high on MacSurfer? Not from what I remember.

"Overwhelmed with anticipation, some fans of Apple Computer's iPods are ripping through software code to find clues about what the company has planned for the next-generation of the digital music players."

I was laughing so hard when I read this!

Nahh I wasn't overwhelmed with anticipation, just curious And also I have a lot of experience in reverse-engineering raw data like this (I'm working on a Mac/PC Mario 64 level editor).

Actually at first, I was looking for the Nike sound files. Interestingly I found that part of the Nike interface is built out of xml. Then I found the phone references, and my jaw dropped.

And Ireland, even if I did inspect this gadget carefully, I don't look like Inspector Gadget at all!

Well now that I think of it, I do look a lot like Matthew Broderick:

Go go Gadget iPhone! Ah well whatever, I never was a fan of the Inspector, especially since that in the French version of the cartoon we had here, the Inspector had a very annoying voice. The cartoon was a French/US/Japanese collaborative effort I think?

I only recently found that the English version featured "Maxwell Smart" for the voice, and I was a fan of Get Smart in my teen years, watching re-runs on YTV. I guess I did miss an incredible voice performance... missed by "that" much

Ok this is getting off-topic, let me now address the only overly skeptic reactions I could find here, courtesy of MacCrazy:

Quote:

Why would Apple have source code of an unmade product when they can add functionality with a firmware update?

First, this is not a source code, this is compiled code found inside the nano iPod firmware, that everyone can download at Apple's site. You can check it yourself. These are more than likely experimental features that Apple didn't completely remove before the release.

Quote:

Seems sloppy for a company as stringent as Apple (although I do believe they actually leak the details they want leaked).

Mistakes can happen? It's not unusual for a developer to include experimental features in the main build and remove them at the last minute. They forgot to remove the variable names amongst other things, maybe they were in a rush to release the Nike installer discs in time.

Do you think that every single byte in every files are inspected at Apple to be sure there are no clues of future products?

Ever heard of DashCode? Apple forgot to remove this unreleased program from the MacBook install disc.

Quote:

I think this source code is most likely nothing.

What do you mean by that? That it's "nothing" to get excited about? Or that it's "nothing", as in " this whole thing was invented"? Again... check for yourself. Do you think Apple added those just for fun? Well if they did, it's still interesting to find about it.

As I said in the other thread, I don't think that these will automatically become features in future products. But to me, these are certainly more tangible clues than "Our source told us that....".

It shows that Apple is not standing still with the iPod, despite the "long" time since a new iPod release.

Oh well anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, but you got some facts wrong, like that "source code" tidbit, which may explain why you don't see what's interesting about it.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I wonder if these will be slip cases with phone or game functionality.

In other words, the iPod nano slips inside of the phone case and you use it like a phone/music player. Or slip it in the game case and use it like a game/music player.

Obviously, I use the term "case" loosely as these "cases" will have their own circuit boards, buttons, antennas, etc., to enhance the functionality of the nano.

Just a crazy idea...

All I know is I think Apple delayed a whole bunch of launches this year. The anniversary of the Mac has been non existent. And Jobs' "see you soon" last February materialized in nothing.

I hope WWDC clears the queue with some exciting product announcements.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    If there is an iPhone or iPod VOIP or whatever, then the Messenger application will most likely be for sms/mms messages, not Instant Messaging (AIM/iChat).

I expect that the Contacts list that is currently on the iPod will be modified to become a fully featured Address Book type application.

A basic phone only needs phone + texting + address book. Of course the Messenger application will allow people to save received images to the Photo library. I'm certain there will be the ability to buy music directly from iTMS as well.

Apple could add a camera though, they're well into putting iSights into everything!
  • Reply 31 of 34
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdj21ya

Yeah, I don't really get the excitement of being the first one with nothing to say.

The movie version of Dave Barry's book, "Big Trouble," has a hilarious running theme, in which "gator fans" (u of fla) call a sports radio talk show--NOT to say anything of value, but merely to refute the host's claim that, "when the gators lose, nobody calls then..." It's a skillful lampooning of such mindlessness.

So I recommend the book and the movie without reservation.

I won't reserve my praise for VL-Tone, either: Nice job, fella--or gal. You're right: your discoveries are of more substance than "sources say", whatever the outcome.

Speaking of outcomes, I share the chagrin of many members here, over Apple's failure to deliver exciting new products for the past year. It is an achievement to have made the Intel switch. But other than offering greater speed, i don't see much engineering/design ingenuity in those new products. Between WWDC and MWSF, it's important to the company's well being that some of those nifty new products come online. If Bill Gates/MS had been as slow in bringing new stuff to market, we'd be having a field day...

peace

terry
  • Reply 32 of 34
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

If there is an iPhone or iPod VOIP or whatever, then the Messenger application will most likely be for sms/mms messages, not Instant Messaging (AIM/iChat).

I expect that the Contacts list that is currently on the iPod will be modified to become a fully featured Address Book type application.

A basic phone only needs phone + texting + address book. Of course the Messenger application will allow people to save received images to the Photo library. I'm certain there will be the ability to buy music directly from iTMS as well.

Apple could add a camera though, they're well into putting iSights into everything!

if the device will have any kind of wireless data services, it will have ichat!

fyi...AIM messages can be sent via text messaging.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

I still see some big assumptions that iPhone means cellular phone (GSM/CDMA whatever). I agree that if it's cellular - chat is probably sms/mms. If there's video-chat it's 3G video calls.

However, if it's a home phone (wireless/Airport, or Bluetooth to your Mac?) - messages would mean iChat, video would be iChat, and voice would be iChat with interface to the public phone system.

Of course, perhaps Apple can give your iChat a phone number and merge messages with SMS? or iChat video with 3G cell phones? That'd be a pretty big move though.