Nvidia to help power next-gen video iPod

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    According to this product matrix (image below), only the NVIDIA GoForce5500 has H.264 decoding. So unless the Samsung core is going to be doing all that H.264 decoding, GPU decoding will be the GoForce5500 or some newer "handheld-class" nVidia GPU yet to be formally announced. That will be $1,999 in research fees, payable to the Sunil Analyst Institute.

• Reply 22 of 51
    If the new iPods are going to have 3D gaming as well they would be using "OpenGL ES with nVidia extensions" http://www.khronos.org/opengles/ - All you tetris fanatics can get 3D tetris maybe.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

If the new iPods are going to have 3D gaming as well they would be using "OpenGL ES with nVidia extensions" http://www.khronos.org/opengles/ - All you tetris fanatics can get 3D tetris maybe.

This is Apple we are talking about.

You will be playing CHESS or Nanosaur.

If you are really lucky they will throw in a sliding tile game to show of the programmable pixel shaders.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 24 of 51
    ROFLMAO What were you expecting? Half Life 3: iPod edition???
  • Reply 25 of 51
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    It is also entirely possible that Apple is not buying any of the current nvidia offerings and is instead using a customized or yet to be released version of one of the chips.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    So the real video iPod might be a PSP killer? Sounds like a plan to me.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Will this be a cost increase as well? Too much flash = too much cash?
  • Reply 28 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I wasn't aware Nvidia had a chip that could compete with Broadcom. I wonder which chip it is?

Sunil. It's time for some of your research.

What am I? Asok the Intern from Dilbert?

Here ya lazy bastards: (image) Chew on this first.

No, you're the Genie from Aladdin.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCentric

It is also entirely possible that Apple is not buying any of the current nvidia offerings and is instead using a customized or yet to be released version of one of the chips.

If that were true, I'd be concerned. That would be at least another 6 months to add to the timing of the machine.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Scott

Will this be a cost increase as well? Too much flash = too much cash?

This will probably be a new line of devices with a larger form factor but not necessarily more expensive.

iPod shuffle

iPod nano

iPod classic

iPod video/games/PSP killer

iPod phone

The PSP currently retails for $199

The DS Lite retails for about $139

Apple should be able to price it competitively since they will probably have greater economies of scale.

Nintendo and Sony only sell about 5 million units a yr in the US.

Apple is selling way more iPods each quarter.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elijahg

I'm sure Nvidia's chip will run Doom 3 without too much trouble!

nVidia's mobile GoForce 5500 can run Quake, and even the GPL Quake III according to the product page. http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_5500.html

Looking at the specifications, it is exactly suited towards a media device - it even supports mobile TV standards (DVB-H, etc). 2007's iPod could do music, video and TV, assuming the aerial can be integrated. Feck FM radio support. Feck Microsoft's 'iPod killer'

I wonder if Apple have the clout to get nVidia to create a single chip including GoForce graphics/audio and ARM CPU?
  • Reply 32 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

Broadcom will be fine, considering that some of their technology will go inside every Nintendo Wii system.

Some of their technology? They have so many different types of chip products, that could be anything. It seems like the only type of product they don't make is a desktop/notebook CPU.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

nVidia's mobile GoForce 5500 can run Quake, and even the GPL Quake III according to the product page. http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_5500.html

Looking at the specifications, it is exactly suited towards a media device - it even supports mobile TV standards (DVB-H, etc). 2007's iPod could do music, video and TV, assuming the aerial can be integrated. Feck FM radio support. Feck Microsoft's 'iPod killer'

I wonder if Apple have the clout to get nVidia to create a single chip including GoForce graphics/audio and ARM CPU?

Nvidia doesn't build ARM, so far as I know. That would involve licensing, and an entire design team for, well, who knows how long?

If Nvidia only sold those resulting chips to Apple, what would they cost, even if it's feasable?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Nvidia doesn't build ARM, so far as I know. That would involve licensing, and an entire design team for, well, who knows how long?

If Nvidia only sold those resulting chips to Apple, what would they cost, even if it's feasable?

I think the current iPod has a video decoder chip that's separate from the processor. My PDA has an ATI 3D chip along side the main processor.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think the current iPod has a video decoder chip that's separate from the processor. My PDA has an ATI 3D chip along side the main processor.

That might be right. I don't remember exactly how much the Broadcom chip does. And what about the Samsung?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Dare I say it - Apple PDA?

This Chip is far too overpowered just to sit next to the CPU and decode the occasional video - image what could be possible with this little sucker.

I won't hold my breath, though...
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Dare I say it - Apple PDA?

This Chip is far too overpowered just to sit next to the CPU and decode the occasional video - image what could be possible with this little sucker.

I won't hold my breath, though...

PDAs don't need special 3D graphics chips either. The one I mentioned is the Tapwave Zodiac, it was positioned as a hybrid PDA and handheld game device, and it's pretty nice, I think. I don't think any other PDAs has a dedicated graphics chip like that.

If it is for a portable media player, then it could allow decoding of 1080p media out to an HDTV, but I doubt Apple would offer that feature if they didn't have a viable means of licencing and distributing media to take advantage of that.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    I believe around the timeframe the Treo was first introduced PocketPC PDAs started getting dedicated video chipsets from ATI or NVidia (can't remember which, might have been both). They weren't all that great and the main functionality they provided was video playback, but that was a few years ago.

If Apple does use the chip, I would strongly suspect it would be used for games/visuals, and not become a PDA. Matches the iPod call to arms more strongly--audio/video/gaming entertainment consolidated to one device.

And of course games for sale through iTMS, DRM included.

I'm not convinced the initial report is true though. Time will tell.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Since the 5G iPod came out, I've been saying that Apple should go for games. It's a logical extention. They already have a games catagory. The screen is a bit small, but not too small. The rez is fine. The controller works well for games. I don't see a problem. A few API's and it could be a go.

My Palm Treo 700p, as my Samsung i330 before it, plays games very well. The button placement is not as good as the controller on the iPod, and almost every game utilizes the buttons differently. Apple would resolve that difficulty on the iPod, as Nintendo does on their players.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Agreed, I think the iPod is a great platform to extend into games. If I recall correctly they also have one of those "sudden drop" accelerometers to protect the HD, which would allow for Wii-like input.

The success of such a thing is tied to getting good game developers on board of course (a big name title or two wouldn't hurt to boost sales).