Adium stagnating?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anybody have any idea what's happening with Adium? They haven't had a release since April (0.8.9), and the site has a couple of dead links.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    They're having server problems, but there have been several 1.0 betas in the past few days.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    New Duck and Preference Icons ...are coming soon. Brace Yourself.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

It's no big deal that you can't get through to the update server. I've been using 1.0b3 and I'm not thrilled with it. No real important feature or UI improvements over 0.8.9. Still no custom emoticons. Still no nudges or winks. Still no voice or audio.

I guess I'm really waiting for 2.0. Sometime in 2008, probably.

They've always said that 1.0 would be the bare minimum as a stable and full release. I do hope we get some voice and video features soon though. 2008 seems far off, but I have a feeling it won't be any sooner than that.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

It's no big deal that you can't get through to the update server. I've been using 1.0b3 and I'm not thrilled with it. No real important feature or UI improvements over 0.8.9. Still no custom emoticons. Still no nudges or winks. Still no voice or audio.

There has been tremendous under-the-hood work done, especially the new log viewer is great.

Everything else you mention in your post are just annoying add-ons which only 12 year olds use anyway.. (Apart from AV ofc)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    ar4wyar4wy Posts: 33member
    Didn't apple buy adium? I remember reading in their blog that adium or some form of it is going to come with Leopard.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ar4wY

Didn't apple buy adium? I remember reading in their blog that adium or some form of it is going to come with Leopard.

The blog-entry at AdiumX.com about this. You might want to notice the date!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    That was an April Fool's day blog.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    ar4wyar4wy Posts: 33member
    Damn them and their hot Jessica Alba desktop! DAMN THEM! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow the new Adium, the beta, sure isn't stagnating. Finally..file transfer. I think I'll probably FINALLY....AT LAST!!!!! be able to ditch AOL AIM for OS X. Good riddance, what a piece of shit it was. But I needed file transfer, and iChat sucks. Now I have tabs, file transfer, and a sweet interface all in one. And by the time I have a MacBook and want to do AV I'm sure they'll have that nailed down too. Go Adium!!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Does anybody have any idea what's happening with Adium? They haven't had a release since April (0.8.9), and the site has a couple of dead links.

Right now we are in a longer than normal beta period before releasing 1.0 mainstream. Our Trac system has a roadmap that you can look at if you want to see what's left on 1.0.

Basically, we moved away from time based releases about 2 years ago. This is why we don't give out release dates, etc.

Voice and Video, in my opinion, isn't going to happen for 2-5 years, unless we get someone to volunteer their time to do it. Those kinds of people go for a very expensive bill usually, and tend to not give away their time. Don't expect voice/video for a long time.

In general, development is very active, and we don't try to release unstable/bad releases. So if we take until Christmas to release 1.0 we'll just do that. .89.1 is relatively stable, and usable, so there's no point in releasing something that is half baked.

Also, 1.0 is over a years worth of work. When .80 came out, we separated out development on .8x and 1.0. .8x was then for small fixes/security fixes/crasher fixes. 1.0 is where all the neat new stuff is happening. It's worth waiting for.

- Chris

Adium Project Manager
  • Reply 11 of 23
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I can't wait for 1.0. I just recently downloaded Adium and I love it. It's so much better than any other IM program that I have used. The only thing I don't like is the creepy black duck at the top of my screen with his red eyes. He haunts me. Anyway, great program. Other than that I don't have anything to add.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Excellent! I wish more commercial software vendors were that patient and committed to the same kind of excellence. Arbitrary deadlines should take a back seat to giving the customer the quality they deserve.

Quote:

Originally posted by The_Tick

In general, development is very active, and we don't try to release unstable/bad releases. So if we take until Christmas to release 1.0 we'll just do that. .89.1 is relatively stable, and usable, so there's no point in releasing something that is half baked.

- Chris

Adium Project Manager

• Reply 13 of 23
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I concur. Adium is dope. And Aquatic, Adium has had file transfer for... a really long time.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Hehe...and I've been out of it for a really long time. Out in the field, literally. Adium is becoming what I always knew it would. I have to check back in with Proteus sometime, I wonder what happened to them. It was like Adium plus a bit more, but for $. In other words, I was/am waiting for Adium to get Dope?. Looks like it's there. I don't get how come the iChat group at Apple just doesn't..."get it." Like, the lack of a log in window. And the interface in general.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Proteus is now free but seems to have stagnated quite badly, which is a shame because it was a good app.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Proteus is now free but seems to have stagnated quite badly, which is a shame because it was a good app.

Two years ago, it was the best app...hands down. Adium X has caught up and surpassed it though.

But that's only because Justin Wood got picked up by Apple and he sold Proteus to a company that didn't really care to update the app. I have much faith in him for iChat 4. He got picked up as a junior a few months before Tiger shipped so I'm thinking he didn't get a lot of time to work on iChat 3...but now that he and the iChat team have had over a year for iChat 4, I'm guessing iChat 4 will be big.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Hehe...and I've been out of it for a really long time. Out in the field, literally. Adium is becoming what I always knew it would. I have to check back in with Proteus sometime, I wonder what happened to them. It was like Adium plus a bit more, but for $. In other words, I was/am waiting for Adium to get Dope?. Looks like it's there. I don't get how come the iChat group at Apple just doesn't..."get it." Like, the lack of a log in window. And the interface in general.

I concur that the iChat group need beating with a giant cluestick. What, does Apple outsource the UI design to Microsoft or something?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I concur that the iChat group need beating with a giant cluestick. What, does Apple outsource the UI design to Microsoft or something?

Perish the thought.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    There are buddies in my Buddy List on the new Adium I've NEVER HEARD OF. They're people I completely don't know. Like 20 or 30. How bizarre is that!? Or maybe I'm just tripping...but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Wow, that's how it manages multiple SNs. Holy crap it makes iChat look like shit. If it catches up in the AV department (which I don't use at all currently) it'll just be the best best client out there. Seriously why does iChat suck.