Agreed.

And you fart.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Agreed.

And you fart.

That's just your GI tract saying "I, too, am happy to be moving".
  • Reply 23 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here in the Bay Area "Bikram" Yoga is all the rage-- the classed are conducted in heated rooms (like 90-100 degrees heated) and you sweat your ass off.

Anybody try this? I haven't yet, but it sounds interesting, if somewhat icky.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

That's just your GI tract saying "I, too, am happy to be moving".

Yup. It's a bit disconcerting however, to the novice. Luckily, my wife warned me that not only would it happen when I started, but that the rest of the class expected it, so I shouldn't be self-conscious, and just continue with the class.

Flatulence kinda yanks you out of your headspace though. "Ommm, padda padda, I am one with the *PFBBBRRRRRTTTT*... er... damn."

Thank god it stops after a few classes.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yup. It's a bit disconcerting however, to the novice. Luckily, my wife warned me that not only would it happen when I started, but that the rest of the class expected it, so I shouldn't be self-conscious, and just continue with the class.

Flatulence kinda yanks you out of your headspace though. "Ommm, padda padda, I am one with the *PFBBBRRRRRTTTT*... er... damn."

Thank god it stops after a few classes.

• Reply 26 of 27
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Cool! So can yoga work for anyone?

Well, here's the disclaimer for Yoga. IMO, it is *not* suitable for *everyone*. Just the warning label for the Yoga prescription. Not saying don't try it because of the following, but be informed and aware as you go along.

On the physical side, it should be taken into consideration with your overall health goals. Consider your current or previous injuries if they exist and discuss this with your potential Yoga teacher. Speak to friends or family about teachers and how accomodating they are for beginners, even in the beginner classes. Check out how Yoga can integrate with your usual gym/ running/ swimming/ etc. on different days, and so on. Try different classes/ teachers to see what 'clicks'.

On the emotional/ stress-relieving side, generally, yes, Yoga is good for that. But again, as BRussell mentioned, "[My wife] has said that it's not uncommon for people to break down crying or laughing during yoga session, due to emotional release". It's not really too weird, addabox gave a good reason for why it could happen. In one of my classes in 2003 a girl that was becoming quite regular had to bail out completely of one class about 15-30mins into the usual routine. Stress-relief is common and beneficial, but be aware that you can awaken deeper emotions, and sometimes, after certain Yoga sessions, you can actually feel *angry* instead of calm, as it brings out deep-seated stuff.

Relationships: It is interesting about the relationships that can develop between you and your teacher, you and other students, etc. Because Yoga classes are a space where you generally feel good, relaxed, and it can be very nourishing, romantic relationships can develop. Consider whether this fits into your plan or not (eg. if you already have a partner, or if you feel it is appropriate or not to date your Yoga teacher or fellow Yoga student).

Spiritual: Now, this is a more rare side effect/ contraindication. I have only a few examples to speak of, including my own. At beginner and intermediate levels, Yoga is seen mainly as stress-relieving, toning, core strength and flexibility oriented excercise. At intermediate to advanced levels though that's when the "real" Yoga stuff comes into play - meditation, for example. Feeling split-seconds of "nothingness". Deep, deep calm that extends through you for hours after a session, sometimes to the alarm of family and friends around you. Tantric-stuff (I don't know much about it) but like having orgasms with your partner that go from a few seconds to a minute or something like that.

At intermediate levels, or in rare cases (like myself), be prepared for life-changing perspectives on things - the way you look at your job, the food you eat, your life, other people's lives, the world, the universe, God, Goddess, what is God, etc.

Growing up and recently being in a country where Hinduism, though a minority religion, is practiced in quite orthodox forms, I would say that Yoga, depending on the teachers and their teachers, is a bit of cherry-picking from Hinduism and blended with New Age, add a dash of Self-Help. Again, this is not to turn people off OR to say that "ah, Yoga's just this fad". Just stuff to keep in mind.

Something like http://www.yogajournal.com/ ,the print version, is nice to browse through if you're considering Yoga or if you're starting to get into it. The print magazine is much nicer visually than the website

Again, spiritually, as you hit the intermediate to advanced levels, I would say, just be prepared, and be confident about where you are in life and the guidance you're getting from your teacher (now considered your Guru at this stage) as you consider pursuing the deeper aspects of Yoga.

Well, I guess I am trying to be helpful while sharing more personal info as I usually do in my cathartic way on these forums. I'm sure others here will debate certain aspects, [clint eastwood]go ahead, punk, make my day..![/clint eastwood]

I guess growing up, from young I've always had an idealistic, alternative view of the world. Combined with making it to live in San Francisco Bay Area in my first job, and further invovlment with more New Age/ Alternative lifestyles in Sydney, growing up apart from my more mainstream, pragmatic family, I've always been "different". I only started Yoga in 2003, by then considered, you know, kind of the sexy, trendy thing. The progress I made spiritually was quite rare and unexpected, and I don't know how it interacted with say, frequent drinking (2-3 buzzy nights a week) in 2000-2003, occassional drug use in 2003-2004 (ecstasy, pot), work advance and stress in new media design/ management 2003-2004, and *Stopping* drinking and partying as much for certain blocks of time, in 2003-2004*, and my oft-repeated "OMFG I am going to die" experience on a NewZealand ski resort in Sep 2003.

*I don't know, but sometimes after a few months of once-a-week Yoga, you find going out and getting smashed-drunk a few times a week or even just on the weekend, loses its appeal, in terms of "do i need to do this to have fun?", "do i need to do this to get laid?" and "do i need to do this to my body?"...

Well, I'll shut up soon, but last thing is, the weird thing is I know a lot of people that do do all these things - Yoga, occassional pot/ ecstasy, partying and drinking, detox, then stress and bad eating, detox, stress-relief, hard intense work at their jobs, then taking out week-long Yoga retreats, going vegetarian for a while, then going back to fast food, etc.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cl1v3cl1v3 Posts: 1member
    Yeah man..i defiantely agree with you..yoga isn't for everyone...i had a hard time..but im not givin up...im still seeing if its worth all the effort pain.

Clive

Ashiyana Tropical Yoga Retreat Centre