E! programming comes to Apple's iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Back to the topic of 'E!'.. That channel sucks,...

Thus sayeth the slughead, and yea it was so.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:

France is about ready to essentially make Apple's business model illegal. If they do that, I hardly see Apple changing iPods just for France..

I thought that got voted down?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:

Back to the topic of 'E!'.. That channel sucks, why is this news?

I'd rather have the sci-fi network have stargate and atlantis on there. I haven't had cable or even a television since september of last year; it'd be nice to have some commercial-free shows available outside of bittorrent. [/B]

It sucks for you. But then, you are only you. The channel is popular enough that it is an important addition. I know people (I'm not one, as I watch many of their shows, they have some good new ones) who think the Sci Fi channel sucks. There's no accounting for taste.

But, As I keep repeating, though some never bother to read earlier posts, Apple will sell any content, to anyone, if they are ALLOWED to license it.

This is pretty simple, and obvious. Why are people here still complaining?

Those who own the content are expected to do what they think they have to, in order to maximize their return on investment. If they don't think that iTunes will do that, they won't license their content for sale there. They get far more money selling their content as re-runs. They are also concerned that by putting content on iTunes, they devalue their content for future broadcast, and damage their relationships with the local stations which depend upon re-runs for most of their income, and viewership. This is a very big problem in the industry right now. Most content providers are therefore taking it slow.

The only way to convince them otherwise is to buy the content that is already there.

When iTunes is selling 50 million videos a month, most other content will move over as well. Right now there is little money to be made there, except for a few shows.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

I thought that got voted down?

They left Apple an out.

If Apple gets letters fron the content owners saying that they want the content sold by Apple to ONLY work with Fairplay, on devices Apple designates, Apple won't have to open up their eco-system. This goes for any other company as well.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

I'd rather have the sci-fi network have stargate and atlantis on there. I haven't had cable or even a television since september of last year; it'd be nice to have some commercial-free shows available outside of bittorrent.

Ditto.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's too bad, but I think there are licensing issues that prevent it. These TV shows have probably just never considered the possibility of being shown in different countries. There's a lot of music in other countries' music stores that I'd like to get too. I bet they have a lot of incentive to sell them internationally though - with the flip of a switch, they could triple their market. So I think it will come once the lawyers get it figured out.

I'm not sure also what they'd do with the BBC in the UK. It could be that non-UK residents will get to buy BBC shows sold via iTunes before UK residents. The licence fee here in theory means that the shows should be free and that's the policy the BBC has adopted so far with their IP based TV services in the UK. I can't see Apple giving away free BBC programs. They could however sell classic programs as they do now on DVD.

Sky, ITV and Channel 4 here have been selling their shows online for some time via their websites but sadly, only to Windows DRM users. You can for example buy Lost, which is shown on Channel 4 here for 99p an episode - cheaper than from Apple in the USA.

Again, it's looking like Apple have missed the first boat but as has been shown so far, that doesn't mean they won't catch up quick.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I'm not sure also what they'd do with the BBC in the UK. It could be that non-UK residents will get to buy BBC shows sold via iTunes before UK residents. The licence fee here in theory means that the shows should be free and that's the policy the BBC has adopted so far with their IP based TV services in the UK. I can't see Apple giving away free BBC programs. They could however sell classic programs as they do now on DVD.

Sky, ITV and Channel 4 here have been selling their shows online for some time via their websites but sadly, only to Windows DRM users. You can for example buy Lost, which is shown on Channel 4 here for 99p an episode - cheaper than from Apple in the USA.

Again, it's looking like Apple have missed the first boat but as has been shown so far, that doesn't mean they won't catch up quick.

We get BBC A here, at least on Time Warner. Of course it's not buying downloads, but it's interesting that the BBC does bring shows over. I've been watching HEX. There are some nutty shows there. I forget the name, but one has these two "friends?" competing. Really nutty
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

We get BBC A here, at least on Time Warner. Of course it's not buying downloads, but it's interesting that the BBC does bring shows over. I've been watching HEX. There are some nutty shows there. I forget the name, but one has these two "friends?" competing. Really nutty

HEX isn't a BBC product, it's a Sky TV show aka Fox aka Rupert Murdoch.

Not sure what other show you mean.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

HEX isn't a BBC product, it's a Sky TV show aka Fox aka Rupert Murdoch.

Not sure what other show you mean.

The intricacies of British television are too complex for us to totally understand over here, as I suppose is ours to you. All I know is that it's on BBC A, not Fox.

The show is Ed vs. Spenser.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The intricacies of British television are too complex for us to totally understand over here, as I suppose is ours to you. All I know is that it's on BBC A, not Fox.

The show is Ed vs. Spenser.

That's a Sky program too. So both the shows you like on BBC America, aren't actually by the BBC. :-)

I've not seen either since Sky TV involves having a satellite dish on the side of your house. A bit chavvy and I can't stand commercial TV anyway.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

That's a Sky program too. So both the shows you like on BBC America, aren't actually by the BBC. :-)

I've not seen either since Sky TV involves having a satellite dish on the side of your house. A bit chavvy and I can't stand commercial TV anyway.

Well, believe me, with Ed vs. Spencer, you're not missing anything, unless you like truely childish programming. Too bad that we also have great shows like this.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If a tree falls and no one hears it, then it means nothing. Nobody watches E!.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Nobody watches E!.

I did when I had cable. The Soup is a brilliant program. I could never wait for the next time they'd make fun of Tyra or Entertainment Tonight.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I did when I had cable. The Soup is a brilliant program. I could never wait for the next time they'd make fun of Tyra or Entertainment Tonight.

I used to watch the very early episodes of The Soup, like five or six years ago. It was very good back then. 8)
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If a tree falls and no one hears it, then it means nothing. Nobody watches E!.

Actually, lots of people do.