Apple: iPods built to last 4 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macshark

Yeah, just another case of people who don't know how to run surveys and evaluate results coming up with the wrong conclusion.

Did you even bother to look at the survey? Know how the results were calculated? Know any of the facts behind who participated or how they examined the results?

Macintouch polls are a ton better then the crap seen on most websites. Its not just a little button off to the right, "Hey, did you have problems with your iPod?". It comes up on the main page, asking all to participate. It consists of several questions, asking what, when, how often, etc. And the results are examined a lot more closely then just saying "Hey, 4 out of 5 dentists claim macs cause cavities".

Keep in mind, also, that macintouch isn't, by definition, a troubleshooting site. You go to macfixit for that (and where their polls are more likely to be skewed).

And macintouch's results are no better or worse then even Apple's supposed numbers (where you know nothing except what they claim ("Trust us, its 5%!"), and as was mentioned, there's no saying how many people who didn't go through apple to get it fixed, didn't get it fixed at all, or just redeemed it for recycling when getting a new one. Plus, you have to question what Apple thinks a "failure" is.

Of course, the next time they have one, why not post about it on all the mac boards and tell people to take the survey as often as possible saying Apple is great. That's what most macheads do.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    i rememeber reading somewhere recently a quote to the effect of, "if you don't obsolete your own products, someone else will."
  • Reply 23 of 56
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Did you even bother to look at the survey? Know how the results were calculated? Know any of the facts behind who participated or how they examined the results?

Macintouch polls are a ton better then the crap seen on most websites. Its not just a little button off to the right, "Hey, did you have problems with your iPod?". It comes up on the main page, asking all to participate. It consists of several questions, asking what, when, how often, etc. And the results are examined a lot more closely then just saying "Hey, 4 out of 5 dentists claim macs cause cavities".

Keep in mind, also, that macintouch isn't, by definition, a troubleshooting site. You go to macfixit for that (and where their polls are more likely to be skewed).

And macintouch's results are no better or worse then even Apple's supposed numbers (where you know nothing except what they claim ("Trust us, its 5%!"), and as was mentioned, there's no saying how many people who didn't go through apple to get it fixed, didn't get it fixed at all, or just redeemed it for recycling when getting a new one. Plus, you have to question what Apple thinks a "failure" is.

Of course, the next time they have one, why not post about it on all the mac boards and tell people to take the survey as often as possible saying Apple is great. That's what most macheads do.

Any web-based, self-selection survery (even if it offers it to everyone who visits the site, people still have to choose the site in the first place, which automatically makes it a self-selectiing population) is a huge load of unreliable crap. There is no way around it. A representative smaple is not acheivable.

• Reply 24 of 56
    afalknerafalkner Posts: 74member
    BTW...its Chicago Tribune, NOT Tribute.

Thanks
  • Reply 25 of 56
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    A lot of people who own iPods abuse their battery/don't know how to take care of it so it last longer. By the same tolken, a lot of people drop their iPod causing hard drive failure. Not Apples fault.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

A lot of people who own iPods abuse their battery/don't know how to take care of it so it last longer.

With regular use, I don't see any information that says there is any special treatment for the rechargable lithium batteries other than to make sure it isn't overheated.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I had thought that the main iPods had a major update around October of every year, but Apple-History shows several updates around other times, 2,3 and 4G are at other times, 5G was last October. Still, the major updates average about once a year.

Tribune says "four years"
  • Reply 28 of 56
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

A lot of people who own iPods abuse their battery/don't know how to take care of it so it last longer. By the same tolken, a lot of people drop their iPod causing hard drive failure. Not Apples fault.

Exactly, I have a 1st generation iPod that I bought in 2001 and it runs fine. I did change the battery though as I wanted more hours not because of any problems. Imho iPod is a pretty reliable device and the sales speak of themselves too. People are not buying iPods so they can replace their paperweights.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rspress

Apple claims they last 4 years which I think is mostly bullsh*t. I have had my I pod replaced twice but the telling sign that the life of an iPod is much shorter than that comes from Apple itself.

I also think 4 years is bullshit... I think that estimate is too low. I haven't had an iPod fail yet, and I've owned 3 and passed 2 on to family members which are still going strong.

As for firmware updates, well, be more specific. What big firmware bug never got fixed that you're complaining about? If you're just complaining that you're not getting the NEW features in the new firmwares, well, tough luck-- that's not a measure of how long the iPod lasts.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

The math doesn't work that way. 1G starts on year zero, so major updates averaging once a year is about right.

2001 Oct - 1G

2002 Jul - 2G (touch wheel)

2003 Apr - 3G (dock connector)

2004 Jul - 4G (click wheel)

2005 Oct - 5G (video)

2006 Oct?- 6G (???)

So the once a year average per generation holds. Photo was a reasonably major update, but I guess it wasn't accepted as a generational update.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

The math doesn't work that way. 1G starts on year zero, so major updates averaging once a year is about right.

2001 Oct - 1G

2005 Oct - 5G (video)

2006 Oct - 6G (some crazy ass shit!)

So the once a year average per generation holds. Photo was a reasonably major update, but I guess it wasn't accepted as a generational update.

• Reply 32 of 56
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

With regular use, I don't see any information that says there is any special treatment for the rechargable lithium batteries other than to make sure it isn't overheated.

There are a lot of things you can do to keep your iPod battery healthy.

1) Do not leave it uncharged for a prolonged period of time.

2) Charge your iPod at least every three weeks if its not in use.

3) Try to charge it as soon as possible. (Do not let the battery level get too low too often).

4) Do not store your iPod in unusualy cold or warm places. Like in a car in the middle of winter or summer.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

2001 Oct - 1G

2005 Oct - 5G (video)

2006 Oct?- 6G (???)

I think you misunderstand. The AI/Chicago Trib article says that Apple claims iPods are built to last 4 years before they stop working. It's not talking about how often new models are released.

And yes, somehow I think this was a misunderstanding. I sincerely doubt Apple said "iPods last 4 years." It's just unlike them.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I think you misunderstand. The AI/Chicago Trib article says that Apple claims iPods are built to last 4 years before they stop working. It's not talking about how often new models are released.

And yes, somehow I think this was a misunderstanding. I sincerely doubt Apple said "iPods last 4 years." It's just unlike them.

There may be a misunderstanding, but I wasn't saying that iPods lasted 5 years, I was (poorly) pointing out that October makes sense in more than one way, and I was responding to this with regards to the anniversary of the introduction of the first one:

Quote:

5 years this October eh? Sounds like the perfect time to celebrate the next gen iPod.

• Reply 35 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    iPod G1 unit here, still kicking strong, purchased Nov 2001. Probably needs a new battery (down to about 90 minutes of playback), but it's still just fine.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Interesting point on the possible misquote (four vs. for).

As for my iPod, well as I posted earlier last week, my 8 month old 5G died due to what appeared to be a hard drive failure.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Interesting point on the possible misquote (four vs. for).

As for my iPod, well as I posted earlier last week, my 8 month old 5G died due to what appeared to be a hard drive failure.

grrr... I am *pissed* about hard drive failures. *punches the wall in frustration*
  • Reply 38 of 56
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Any web-based, self-selection survery (even if it offers it to everyone who visits the site, people still have to choose the site in the first place, which automatically makes it a self-selectiing population) is a huge load of unreliable crap. There is no way around it. A representative smaple is not acheivable.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Even for regular surveys, if the participation percentage is high, results are extremely unreliable. IMHO, any survey result that does not include a description of the methodology and the participatoin rate needs to be ignored.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    My second generation iPod has lasted four years exactly, and is still working. I've just bought a fifth generation iPod last year, so time will tell.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

I'm sure it does but that doesn't mean that's what Kerris meant. If it was a phone interview or in person then it's quite possible the journo took for to mean four. They could have even just got their notes wrong or it was a typo in the article not picked up by a sub.

Anyway, I think Apple admitting a specific timespan is highly unlikely.