Apple: iPods built to last 'for years,' not 'four years'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A spokeswoman for Apple Computer on Friday said she was recently misquoted in a comment on the life-span of the company's iPod digital music players.

Earlier this week, Chicago Tribune quoted Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris as saying iPods have a relatively low failure rate and that they are designed to last "four years."

However, Kerris in a statement to the iLounge on Friday said she was misquoted. The Apple spokeswoman said she told the reporter that the iPod was designed to last "for years," not "four years."

Apple maintains that iPods have a failure rate of less than 5 percent, which it says is "fairly low" compared with other consumer electronics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
  • Reply 2 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Can someone from the other thread pop in for a quick, "told you so!"
  • Reply 3 of 28
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    There you have it! 2.0 years

The electronics and computer industries are both terrible about hardware longevity and quality control. Apple is the BEST... of a bad bunch!

I wonder what time frame 5% refers to. Is that warranty claims?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Idiot reporters. A simple follow-up question would've taken care of this.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    That's hilarious. I thought it seemed funny to give an exact length of time like that.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by nagromme

There you have it! 2.0 years

Well, if you think about it, adding a plural to year doesn't neccessarily make it even 2. For example:

"I have 1 and a half pies "

"add 1 and a quarter cups water"

"the life span of an iPod is 1.0001 years "

• Reply 7 of 28
    dnormandnorman Posts: 2member
    in other news, Apple announced that their previous Four Core Mac Pro was actually intended to be "Mac Pro For Cores"
  • Reply 8 of 28
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Yep, don't believe anything you hear or read and only half you see!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    "How to cook fo r humans"

*cleans off dust on cook book*

"How to cook four humans"

• Reply 10 of 28
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

There is a well-known Twilight Zone episode entitled "To Serve Man".
  • Reply 11 of 28
    V'ger!!!

:d

Quote:

• Reply 12 of 28
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

on the kitchen bookshelf of Jeffery Dahmer...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    Since Apple only supports iPods with upgrades to firmware for one year I guess the ?for years? statement means the last half of 2006 and the first half of 2007.

I would not really mind the fact they don?t update the firmware for older iPods if the firmware were bug free when they stopped upgrading it.

Apple can say what they want but when upgrade support drops after one year then that is what they consider its useful life.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rspress

Since Apple only supports iPods with upgrades to firmware for one year I guess the ?for years? statement means the last half of 2006 and the first half of 2007.

I would not really mind the fact they don?t update the firmware for older iPods if the firmware were bug free when they stopped upgrading it.

Apple can say what they want but when upgrade support drops after one year then that is what they consider its useful life.

You made this claim in the other thread, and I didn't see any response to my query as to what firmware bugs, exactly, have bit you that Apple refused to fix? And what product have you EVER owned whose software was completely bug-free when support was dropped?

Finally, if you consider it "useful" on day 1, and it's equally useful on day 1460, how can you say it's useful life ended on day 365 because a mythical update you wanted never materialized?

Stop holding Apple to an impossible standard and you'll realize they do pretty well for their customers.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    We have had every generation of iPod, and at least two in every generation, and every single one with a hard drive has failed. I have no idea what they base the 5% on...you can get any figure you want if you torture data long enough. I still am so attached to them that we continue to buy them for every member of our family and each of us has at least two (I have the video + shuffle). Love the features, hate the failure rate.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd rather hear Apple say "four" years than "for" years. Seems longer and less vague.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jotamacjotamac Posts: 1member
    I have one bought on the very first Saturday they came into existence, which my son refers to irreverently as my iBrick, but for all that it still works...
  • Reply 18 of 28
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

You made this claim in the other thread, and I didn't see any response to my query as to what firmware bugs, exactly, have bit you that Apple refused to fix? And what product have you EVER owned whose software was completely bug-free when support was dropped?

Finally, if you consider it "useful" on day 1, and it's equally useful on day 1460, how can you say it's useful life ended on day 365 because a mythical update you wanted never materialized?

Stop holding Apple to an impossible standard and you'll realize they do pretty well for their customers.

Sorry, I have been seeing several doctors as I have an upcoming surgery and I have not had the time to follow all the threads I have been on.

What has Apple refused to fix? Here is one, the battery display on the 3G iPod. Apple support told me themselves that the display is useless for determining the battery voltage. My 3G had to be replaced soon after I bought it because when it was connected to its dock it would drain the battery and overheat the unit so much it would force it to shutdown. That unit was just replaced with battery problems again.

Sure I find my iPod useful, in fact I love it! I have been using Apple products since 1979 and got a 128K Mac with a serial number of around 1100. I got an eMac and an iPod within months of each other. Within six weeks my eMac had to be repaired due to the raster shift problem and as I have stated before an overheated iPod. Still I love them both!

I am not asking for magic firmware, two things would make me happy. A fix for the battery display and a podcasting menu item on the main iPod menu. If Apple refuses to fix the battery display problem what I am supposed to do? I think Apple should release the code to third parties to allow them to fix problems and add features. Of course this will not happen as the want outdated iPods to sell the next version. That is fine with me but it makes their statements ring a little hollow that they will last for years.

I am on my third replacement. Apple sent me a letter saying I was already part of the 3G lawsuit but I have never received anything from them. I feel I might have been tricked by them not to join the lawsuit. I don?t find it a big deal but if true it is kind of scummy. Still I love my iPod and I still use it, I just don?t agree with what Apple says.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

It does feel good to have a suspicion confirmed. I think the real credit goes to aegisdesign, though, for making the first call on it in that thread. 8)
  • Reply 20 of 28
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    You want Podcasting on the Main Menu... Go to Settings |Main Menu | Podcasting:ON It's there!

batt meter not being accurate: Hmmm.. I remember this being the case for EVERYTHING that includes, ipods, latpops and not just Apple's either. In fact, they even made a utility for Apple's laptop to show the accurate batt life. But I think this is just nitpicking stuff if you ask me.