Leopard rumor roundup: unconfirmed rumblings

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

These are really good suggestions. Make the address book much more personalized. Count me in.

You can already set your relationship to the person in the Addressbook, it's a prebuilt field, and if you want you can any any type of field in the world, Also this is what groups are for. Make a group for "SF Friends", "Family", Etc
  • Reply 62 of 76
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Will Mac OS X 10.5 drop support for Classic on Power PC Chips?

I can hear steve now, "No more classic support. Classic is dead let's move on with the future."
  • Reply 63 of 76
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

I use Outlook all the time at work (on a PC). Can't say that I give it the bird that often, but I honestly think it sucks (and when it does crap out on me, it's been impressive - I lost all of my e-mail when it froze on me once). Haven't used iCal enough to make a comparison, but if it weren't for the fact that Outlook is integrated into the rest of Office (which I use all the time), I'd be looking for something far less cumbersome.

IMO, Outlook is definitely the "ugly sister" of the MS Office suite.

Ok, let me clarify a little bit: I do actually like a lot of the features of Outlook. It's a very feature rich program with a lot of integration (which REALLY smoothes out working with other office files) and is generally a good program. It also is a resourse hog, locks up my machine when it can't communicate with my IMAP server (it times out at least every other time it checks for updates), opens up word in the background (I really HATE hidden programs. They make my puters slooooooow) and is generally a nuisance when I'm not actually trying to do something with it. It is a great way to keep track of apointments and also using the journal feature of just generally what you did that day.

It's a very usefull pox, you could say. And definately NOT stable.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    I wrote up a prediction & wishlist of WWDC stuff, with technologies, products, and UI comments:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...CFC743998.html

I also did a series of ideas for the Finder: One is "Servicepose," presenting contextual Services for text/graphics/file selections using a Heads Up Display interface.

Select some text, hit the magic key, and a translucent popup guides you into various vended services that apply to your selection, and then hands you off to a HUD interface for selecting options, etc.

So select text, start speaking and get HUD playback controls. Or select a graphic in any app, pick the iPhoto or Aperture HUD photo adjustement control, edit the photo, and then drop it back into your application. It's like OpenDoc without throwing away the concept of distinct applications. It's also an enabler for Services, to expose the functionality already there.

Daniel Eran, RDM
  • Reply 65 of 76
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Really, is there a more useless iapp than iCal? I have tried very hard - for many months - to use this pft, but finally gave up. The tiny little squares where there's room for writing like... nothing... the total lack of flexibility... I mean is Apple for real about this app? Or is this some kind of grand joke?

OK, I guess iChat is a close second for uselessness. I mean, now that Skype does video, who is going to bother with iChat? Skype works cross-platform, and has a vast user base. And why is it that iChat is worse than practically any other client out there?

Before they start adding a bunch of useless bells and whistles, how about getting stuff that's already in Tiger to actually work? Because Safari sure doesn't work. I absolutely hate the pinwheel that's generated everytime I follow a link, the hangups, the crashes, the instability... thing is, I like Safari better than FF, but technically FF works a lot better for me... and sadly, there's nothing for OS X that works as well as FF on Windows (though to be fair, I should try Camino before going on too much about this). And it would be nice if Spotlight actually worked - I often stare at a file that Spotlight can't find. It's gotten to the point where I just don't use Spotlight, because I'm pretty well organized, and the few times I actually am looking for something, I have to find it manually, cause Spotlight sure can't. And how about having OS X actually be able to be hotswappable when it comes to external devices instead of freaking out. Plus they still haven't figured out the whole sleep/hibernate process... btw. try removing a USB device, say a mouse while your machine is sleeping - loads of fun...

I could go on like this for pages. But the bottom line is: fix what's already here, before you bloat it up with a lot of new broken toys!

YES SIR.

iChat is a piece of shit. Bugs are everywhere. Worst of all...the interface. Where is the log in window? Why did it take them a year to add the profile? I just feel like they have the janitor working on it or something, and he constitutes the "iChat Development Group."

Ah, Safari. Equally stupid. Wow they are finally making a useful History? Gee that would have been nice at 1.0. IE 5 from half a decade ago has more features. Pathetic. Absolutely no excuse. A real download manager would be nice too...

And Maps!?!!!? WHAT!? What a monumental waste of time. Gee I'm sure everyone will use that, just like Sherlock. Does anyone here use Sherlock? When I needs maps, I go to Google maps. The end.

Huge things (the way I see it):

1. Resolution independence. Sweet.

2. Spotlight, perhaps the most important. On the net, removable drives, tightly integrate its tentacles in to everything. Wowiezowie it'll be awesome. Especially with the 10.6 file system (just a guess here.) Hah, it'll take MS 10 years to copy.

smaller stuff...

3. QE2D finally, I hope. Teh Snappy?.

4. Hibernate? Some more advanced additions to power management? Oh jeez I'm giving up by now...

5. Boot camp, good stuff. They need to make sure their hardware works on Windows though or they'll have angry phone calls pouring in. Mine included. Parallels and Crossover are getting me excited too. Perhaps Apple should buy them.

6. FTFF.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail

You can already set your relationship to the person in the Addressbook, it's a prebuilt field, and if you want you can any any type of field in the world, Also this is what groups are for. Make a group for "SF Friends", "Family", Etc

True. But its the smart relationship webbing that I think would be cool (and useful). Yes, I can label someone a "friend." But that's the end of it. I don't even use this feature because--guess what--I already know all my friends and relatives without AB telling me that. It is only really useful for businesses/organizations labelling clients, customers, service providers, etc.--impersonal relationships. And I'm not in the business business.

It was a suggestion for making AB more intelligent and useful, and, frankly, fun and interesting.

Right now, AB is less useful than my rolodex. If I'm going to keep contacts on my comp, and take the time to enter all the info, I want there to be some compelling (or at least cool) reason to. TBH, AB could stay the same forever and it would still be as useful as ever, a digital version of my rolodex, or the little black book you can carry in your pocket. Except locked in a 40 pound tower tied to a 20 pound monitor.

But...whatever.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I think the dock icons and preview icons show that there's plenty of room in the technology, all those icons are generated at 128px square and downscaled to the user's preference. My desire for resolution independence is to open the way to higher DPI desktop displays but still allow the physical text size to remain as intended, at the native resolution of the screen. I'd love to get that 200dpi screen but I don't want micron text and UI elements.

Jeff, can't remember if you were in on it but we were talking about Resolution Independence quite a bit on some other thread.

The text display and smoothing as a res-independent UI is fine. It's what happens when you have to deal with all the other bits: icons, widgety stuff, the metal of Safari, etc.

All that has to go to a master vector set - again as someone pointed out correctly this master vector set will have different versions just like a tiny icon is a different version than the bigger icon in the current raster icon sets.

The only thing we couldn't really figure out is how the on-the-fly display of these vectors will happen - given the text is antialiased on the fly, would the vector elements of the ui with the colors and shading all be drawn and antialiased on the screen on the fly as well? Would this be CPU based or could CoreImage handle this as a pixel shader of some sort?

Otherwise the different Master Vector UI element set will need to be quickly rasterised and "cached" that way each time you change your display resolution (which is really not that often)...
  • Reply 68 of 76
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

6. FTFF.

Yep. The Finder is becoming an issue with monstrous dimensions, since so long after 10.0 (around 6 years by the time Leopard hits the market) it still has some serious issues.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer on Monday will release plans for Leopard, a much anticipated update to its Mac OS X operating system.

Sorry, but what kind of rumor roundup is that? Not only uncomfirmed rumblings, but almost zero content (well, except perhaps maps and Safari). Of course I appreciate Kasper's efforts to obtain the last bit of info for us, but it seems that Apple has really tighten the control lately, something that usually happens on the hardware front. Perhaps Vista's eyes that are fixed on Cupertino are much of concern inside Apple.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

I use Outlook all the time at work (on a PC). Can't say that I give it the bird that often, but I honestly think it sucks (and when it does crap out on me, it's been impressive - I lost all of my e-mail when it froze on me once). Haven't used iCal enough to make a comparison, but if it weren't for the fact that Outlook is integrated into the rest of Office (which I use all the time), I'd be looking for something far less cumbersome.

IMO, Outlook is definitely the "ugly sister" of the MS Office suite.

Hmm... are you using some old version of Outlook? Are you running it on Windows ME? I used it (Outlook 2003) all the time as Network Administrator at a credit union, all our employees used it through terminal services, etc. We had some issues wish corrupted/missing profiles BEFORE we got Exchange. After Implementing Exchange everything was beautiful. It worked like a dream. Seriously. And I'm a Mac guy.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Jason O'Grady claims to have Leopard info...

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/20...et_leaked.html
  • Reply 72 of 76
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    O'Grady claims a lot of things...........
  • Reply 73 of 76
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

I'm gonna call it fake till I see "The Whites of Apple Legals Eyes"
  • Reply 74 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

O'Grady is an idiot. He has no idea about anything. If you've read some of his predictions over the years, the've made MOSR look conservative.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    His "leaked information" lists some things that seem pretty likely though and are subtle and nontypical enough that I wouldn't have thought them up.

Small details like "Automator loads faster" brings credibility into it, however calculated.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

His "leaked information" lists some things that seem pretty likely though and are subtle and nontypical enough that I wouldn't have thought them up.

Small details like "Automator loads faster" brings credibility into it, however calculated.

What would turn an obvious fake into a creditable fake better than paying attention to the small details?

I'm not saying all his info is wrong or fake, as a matter of fact, it's just possible there's a thread of truth (accidentally or otherwise) included in his info.