French iTunes law goes into effect

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

I thought they had thrown out the part of the law that required Apple to open up their DRM among other things...

They did but they didn't, read megross post.. I thought so too but when reading further it turns out not to be so.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

It's amazing how many people are so eager to give so much power over to their corporate overlords. Why do want companies like Apple and Microsoft, and groups like the RIAA, to have practically all the bargaining power, and to leave yourself with nothing other than "take it or leave it" as a choice?

Well, without DRM, iTMS would not exist, period.

Apple's fairplay is just good enough to keep most people from disabling it.

As far as me embracing 'corporate overlords'.. hardly. I'm against the DMCA and any law that tells me I can't disable copy protection for fair use. However, I'm not against DRM. DRM is the right of a company to make its products unusable.

It is NOT my right to force Apple not to use DRM. If they want to, that's their decision, but I WILL NOT BUY IT. And PS, I don't buy music from Apple anymore.

If Apple's still popular even though they're locking millions of people into this format, fine! They were TOLD about it and they did it anyway. It's they're fault (even though they probably don't care either way).

You don't HAVE to buy music from Apple. You're more than welcome to buy the unprotected CDs available in stores or on Amazon, or just not buy music at all. There's nothing wrong going on here aside from the laws that say you can't break copy-protection on YOUR property.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    The best alternative to DRM is called TRUST.

Trust is what record labels used between 1968 (year in wich Philips invented the audiocassette) and Internet.

People always copied music via audiocassettes from their friends and nobody introduced drm on them.

The difference between then and now is not only internet but trust and quality of music. If i really like a band i buy their music. This is how it worked before internet and there is no reason why it should not work today.

Apart from this: Music today sucks much more than before.

90% of music out there is clone of a clone of something else. And this is a tunnel that has no exit, because it's the road that record labels chose since early 90's. Marketing. Quick money with boy bands. Quick and easy does not last and the results are here now.

So this is my opinion about alternatives.

1: Eliminate DRM. Go on trust. People will like that and music sales will go up. If you want to copy you will still do it. Anyway.

2: Stop producing crap music. People lose trust on you and won't buy from you anymore.

Simon
  • Reply 24 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

Why would I want to do that if I can get anything that is available on iTunes music store from P2P BEFORE it comes out on iTMS?

Besides, getting around Apple DRM is easier than peeing on two fingers!

As far stopping piracy or however you want to call it, Apple DRM is useless.

The reason why Apple uses DRM in iTMS is because they sold their soul to the RIAA devil and RIAA has it in their contract.

That's just silly. Apple's DRM hasn't been broken since the first few months after it came out.

There are legal ways around Apple's DRM, which all of the content companies have agreed to. If you mean those methods, then you haven't gotten around the DRM at all, you have simply used one of the legal methods that you have been given.

If you are willing to steal music, then you are the problem, and are responsible for the idea of DRM in the first place.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simonbeckerman

The best alternative to DRM is called TRUST.

Trust is what record labels used between 1968 (year in wich Philips invented the audiocassette) and Internet.

People always copied music via audiocassettes from their friends and nobody introduced drm on them.

The difference between then and now is not only internet but trust and quality of music. If i really like a band i buy their music. This is how it worked before internet and there is no reason why it should not work today.

Apart from this: Music today sucks much more than before.

90% of music out there is clone of a clone of something else. And this is a tunnel that has no exit, because it's the road that record labels chose since early 90's. Marketing. Quick money with boy bands. Quick and easy does not last and the results are here now.

So this is my opinion about alternatives.

1: Eliminate DRM. Go on trust. People will like that and music sales will go up. If you want to copy you will still do it. Anyway.

2: Stop producing crap music. People lose trust on you and won't buy from you anymore.

Simon

As you've put this post in two threads, I'll re-post my reply as well:

"That's a misunderstanding of the situation that existed, even before the cassette was invented.

There was no way that anything like DRM could have been implemented before the digital age.

No company was happy about the situation, but there was little they could do about it, other than to put copyright notices on their products, telling the user that it was illegal to copy.

Once it became possible to do "perfect" copies, the fear was (and it has been born out in reality) that copying would rise to unheard of levels.

There has never been anything in any kind of business relationship that has depended solely on trust. There has always been laws regulating what can, and can't be done. That is enshrined in our Constitution, and in the basic laws of almost every country.

Now, companies can physically attempt to prevent unlawful duplication of their work, and they have done so.

If people didn't break that "trust" so naively mentioned, then DRM wouldn't be required. But there are some people who like to believe, incorrectly, that they own the works in question, and that they can do whatever they want with them.

Those are the people to blame for DRM."