Apple unveils quad-core 64-bit Mac Pro desktops

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    This puppy went on a diet...lost 20lbs!!!

Can't wait for my 3Gz+Ati X1900 Mac Pro to arrive!!!
  • Reply 22 of 123
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    I've ordered from HP and dell on similar specs with a pretty deep discount...and I can tell you.

Apple is giving you a lot of bang for a buck.
  • Reply 23 of 123
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Ordered!!!

Congrats to all the early adopters.

This is a sweeet machine. What more can be said?
  • Reply 24 of 123
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Only thing that miffs me is that the RAM is 667 versus 800

No faster FB-DIMMS available. And RAM bandwidth is 21GB/s - that should do it even for you...
  • Reply 25 of 123
    Looks like Crucial already has FBDIMMs on their site for the new Mac Pros; I didn't see a link yet on RAMSeeker or OWC, but I'm sure others will follow suit shortly. at $160 a GB, $640 is sure a heck of a lot better a price than the $1,100 Apple is asking for 4GB in their "configurator." And Crucial tends to be a bit higher than some of the other third party folks, so my guess is we'll be close to $100 a GB again fairly quickly.
  • Reply 26 of 123
    Will these be in Apple retail stores today and if so, can the configuration be changed at that time in the store?

Edit: Changing wireless options from default to Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme makes the estimated ship go from 1-3 days, to 2-4 weeks??
  • Reply 27 of 123
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    In a few words...this machine truly rocks.
  • Reply 28 of 123
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I hope you're wrong. Yes the iMac would require a redesign but better now than later. If Merom replaces Core duo, only a modest improvement in performance could be expected. Anand had a very thorough comparisson of merom to yonah and only modest speed improvement was seen. Conroe clocks higher and has a faster FSB (which Anand thought hampered meroms performance). I'm not saying that a Merom iMac would be a bad machine but that a Conroe iMac would be much better and able to grow over the next year or so until the core 2 replacement arrives in 2008(?).

If you want something to grow, an AIO isn't exactly the right fit. It's right if you want powerful, but uncomplicated and elegant. Believe me, OSX will take advantage of merom a lot better than windows.
  • Reply 29 of 123
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Way too powerful. No consumer needs Dual dual core Xeons or expensive FB-DIMMS.

I agree. This is the perfect time for a Conroe based Cube.
  • Reply 30 of 123
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

no sli or cross fire support as well

Part of me feels Apple should not leave itself out of SLI and Crossfire. But I've read articles that said neither necessarily deliver 2X the performance and at certain times actually lower frame rates. Which would not make them worth the space they take up or the power they need.
  • Reply 31 of 123
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Part of me feels Apple should not leave itself out of SLI and Crossfire. But I've read articles that said neither necessarily deliver 2X the performance and at certain times actually lower frame rates. Which would not make them worth the space they take up or the power they need.

I'm worried about the stability of SLI and Crossfire. I have a hard time thinking that a Quadro 5500 isn't going to meet just about everyones needs for visualizing CAD/CAM and DCC markets. I think in a couple of years there will be huge advances in GPU technology that reduce the power consumption, making multiple boards more feasible.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

If you want something to grow, an AIO isn't exactly the right fit.

I'm not trying to just start an argument with you, but why? Why shouldn't the iMac grow in processing power over the next year or so (until the core 2 replacement comes)? Merom will basically be unchanged over it's lifespan unless Intel changes course. It will peak at 2.3 ghz and offers little over the current core duo. Yes Santa Rosa will come and help a little but really, can you just sit still with the iMac as it is today for the next 1-2 years.

If conroe doesn't go in iMac where does it go? I guess Apple could intro a prosumer headless desktop but a lot of people are turning blue waiting for this. Apple isn't obligated to use Conroe but doesn't it make sense given that Conroe is probably the best chip for the money that Intel has?
  • Reply 33 of 123
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    These are really nice machines. But the nicest thing is that they are going to get updated in a consistent manner. Intel will keep coming out with the chips and there will be price drops regularly. No big deal was made that finally, the desktop is at 3.0Ghz. The lack of Bluetooth and Wireless isn't a concern, since these desktops, for the most part, will be hooked up to networks. And if you need Bluetooth, you'd buy it. All in all, good machines, though I'll wait till I have a little more money and I'll let some other person break in these new machines.

Disappointed that no new monitors were introduced.
  • Reply 34 of 123
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Serious candy. It's been a long time coming, but now it's here.
  • Reply 35 of 123
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I want one!

I also think that in contrast to my Dual G5 it will be MUCH quieter!!!
  • Reply 36 of 123
    This is a totally trivial off-the-wall question, but does this removable side-panel sport the Apple logo as well or it is clean of any branding?
  • Reply 37 of 123
    i just went to Dell.com and was able to do an across the board workstation comparison with a fully loaded Dell Precision an a new fully loaded Mac Pro and, yes, the Dell was substantially more $$$... and the Dell looks sucky to boot.

hmm...

yes Apple has produced the nicest PC ever!

-ghi
  • Reply 38 of 123
    jbcarojbcaro Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In addition to the standard configuration, the Mac Pro offers more than 4.9 million build-to-order options including...

Well, maybe not that many options. Possibly that many different configurations if you take all of the things you can click on in the BTO screen into account.

jbcaro
  • Reply 39 of 123
    Apple did indeed create a good overall value proposition with the new Mac Pro, in fact I ordered one for myself (huzzah!). But part of me is still bothered by the fact that Apple has, yet again, raised the entry barrier to its pro line. One upon a time, back in ye olden days, PowerMacs started out at around $1,500. Then the entry price jumped to $1,600. Then $1,700. Then $1,800. Lately it has topped out right at $2,000. Today that price is now $2,500.

Now I won't argue that the new Mac Pro isn't good overall value, but you cannot deny that a rather obvious gulf exists between the consumer desktop segment and Apple's Pro line. And it's a pretty damn big one. From anecdotal evidence I can tell you that a vast untapped market of PC users who want a standard non-integrated desktop exists. A $2,500 Mac Pro isn't going to lure them. Apple needs a standalone machine in the sub-grand space.

This topic has probably been beaten to death already, but I feel that it needs repeating if only to help grow Apple's market.
  • Reply 40 of 123
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo Fighter

Apple did indeed create a good overall value proposition with the new Mac Pro, in fact I ordered one for myself (huzzah!). But part of me is still bothered by the fact that Apple has, yet again, raised the entry barrier to its pro line. One upon a time, back in ye olden days, PowerMacs started out at around $1,500. Then the entry price jumped to $1,600. Then $1,700. Then $1,800. Lately it has topped out right at $2,000. Today that price is now $2,500.

Now I won't argue that the new Mac Pro isn't good overall value, but you cannot deny that a rather obvious gulf exists between the consumer desktop segment and Apple's Pro line. And it's a pretty damn big one. From anecdotal evidence I can tell you that a vast untapped market of PC users who want a standard non-integrated desktop exists. A $2,500 Mac Pro isn't going to lure them. Apple needs a standalone machine in the sub-grand space.

This topic has probably been beaten to death already, but I feel that it needs repeating if only to help grow Apple's market.

Which makes me think we are in for something around Conroe in at Macworld Paris or San Fran. Here's hopin' anyway. BTW, I hope to order my machine tonight. I will be begging and pleading with the wife. I haven't had a desktop machine since my Performa 6116! Here's hoping