Is Steve ill?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I watched the keynote video stream and my first thought was that Steve Jobs looked ill. He has lost a lot weight very quickly and he seemed tired and under powered plus he seemed to have a team of people coming in as substitute speakers as if he had scheduled regular rest intervals. I hope the guy is OK.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    thank god i wasn't the only one who noticed that. yes, my first impression was, damn, he's looking really thin. there's a quick inadvertent comparison when he's standing in front of the screenshot with him getting the intel wafer from otellini (sp?), and he's practically gaunt by comparison. then again, i used to think steve was the stockiest vegan on the planet, but then again, billions of dollars will buy you a hell of a lot of lentils.



    hmmm, i wonder if the pancreatic cancer was causing him too be artificially overweight for his diet, and he's been losing weight ever since the surgery?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony Swash2


    I watched the keynote video stream and my first thought was that Steve Jobs looked ill. He has lost a lot weight very quickly and he seemed tired and under powered plus he seemed to have a team of people coming in as substitute speakers as if he had scheduled regular rest intervals. I hope the guy is OK.



    Yeh, I wondered the same thing. The other possibility is that he was prepping others for doing keynotes as part of a succession plan? Or maybe he just wanted to shake things up a bit.



    (Fanboy side note: did you see how Steve and the other dudes gave hi-fives as they came on and off the stage? Awesome to have a company with that kind of low-key, friendly culture all the way up to the CEO level.)
  • Reply 3 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash


    Yeh, I wondered the same thing. The other possibility is that he was prepping others for doing keynotes as part of a succession plan? Or maybe he just wanted to shake things up a bit.



    well, just like everything else, steve's gotta have some other folks ready to do keynotes besides himself. plus, he's got that other endeavor that eats up his time and therefore can't guarantee availability at EVERY trade show. what's that thing called again? ooh yeah, pixar.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rok


    well, just like everything else, steve's gotta have some other folks ready to do keynotes besides himself. plus, he's got that other endeavor that eats up his time and therefore can't guarantee availability at EVERY trade show. what's that thing called again? ooh yeah, pixar.



    [nitpick]well, Disney, actually...[/nitpick]



    I think part of the reason he sold Pixar though was to have more time for Apple...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash


    [nitpick]well, Disney, actually...[/nitpick]



    I think part of the reason he sold Pixar though was to have more time for Apple...



    oops, sorry. forgot about that whole "sold pixar" thing. though i guess he's also having to personally broker the music and tv deals when studios dig in their heels, tooo. who knows. maybe the guy just wants more time with family, too, and less time practicing keynotes for weeks on end.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash


    Yeh, I wondered the same thing. The other possibility is that he was prepping others for doing keynotes as part of a succession plan? Or maybe he just wanted to shake things up a bit.



    (Fanboy side note: did you see how Steve and the other dudes gave hi-fives as they came on and off the stage? Awesome to have a company with that kind of low-key, friendly culture all the way up to the CEO level.)



    My thoughts exactly. Its like you read my mind
  • Reply 7 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Steve is definitely ill, but ill? I hope not.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash


    (Fanboy side note: did you see how Steve and the other dudes gave hi-fives as they came on and off the stage? Awesome to have a company with that kind of low-key, friendly culture all the way up to the CEO level.)



    i disagree, this was specifically planned out as the transfer to the 'next' person so as to not have any awkward moments in transition. i.e. steve said, no handshakes, no hugs, we high five, everyone hear that, high five only.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If any of you know anyone who has undergone cancer treatment you would know why he is that thin.



    Once one gets back down in weight. it's easier to remain thin too. He may not still be sick, he may be just much happier with his current weight. I think he could use to gain a few pounds.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Anyone know how old Steve is these days?



    Edit: answered my own question: 51.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker


    If any of you know anyone who has undergone cancer treatment you would know why he is that thin.



    Once one gets back down in weight. it's easier to remain thin too. He may not still be sick, he may be just much happier with his current weight. I think he could use to gain a few pounds.



    His cancer was 2 years ago, so wouldn't still be thin from his surgery unless it is coming back. Pancreatic cancer has a poor prognosis - I hope he is ok though....
  • Reply 12 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    drnat,



    He had a different type of pancreatic cancer than what you are thinking of (it affects the insulin producing cells in the pancreas giving you symptoms MUCH earlier) that has a very high recover rate (five year survival rate of over 95% I think).



    If he had the type of cancer you are thinking of, he'd most likely be dead already as it has a five-year survival rate along the lines of 5% or less.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Maybe the stock option problems are bigger than we think. I hear now that Pixar may be looked into.



    - Mark
  • Reply 14 of 30
    im sick to the back teeth with my chemo treatments so i hope hes ok
  • Reply 15 of 30
    its just the camera it takes away 10 lbs
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    About his cancer: his case was a rare but very fortunate one; his tumor was benign. He's fine, probably just lost some weight. Of course, I'm always wishing nothing but the best for Steve. *hugs Steve*
  • Reply 17 of 30
    He just lost some weight. Lots of people were commenting him gaining weight and losing hair before that. I lost 50 pounds in 4 months a few years back. It wasn't because I was dying of cancer. It's called a diet.



    Also, side note, he evidently didn't shop for new clothes—they were all baggy and wrinkled.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat




    Also, side note, he evidently didn't shop for new clothes?they were all baggy and wrinkled.



    I wasn't even paying attention to his clothes, but i believe it.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    no matter what the Drs say, getting past that 2/3 years stage is ALL important.. hope it WAS benign.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Thin?



    Of course. Someone had to test out the Nike+iPod devices.



    btw Was he wearing Nike or New Balance ?
Sign In or Register to comment.