Go look at the keynote 1:17:30 in, and tell me does it look familiar?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A little tid-bit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Don't suppose you care to describe for those of us who really don't want to take the time to go scrounge it up again?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Saving the rainforest? Should it look familiar?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Yeah, please fill us in!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How about we Command-Shift-4, drag a lil' rectangle over the funny we've spotted, re-save that Picture 1 on the desktop as a JPEG, upload it to ImageShack.us, and then have a fun little show'n'tell?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Funny in-joke. I wonder if anyone at WWDC got it?

I've only seen the original video once. What was it called? (Knowledge explorer or something like that...)

Do I win a prize?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Hmmm. Do you think it's maybe a hint of some of the "secret features" of Leopard? (<shiver> looking at Phil on my Mac 24/7; makes the MSOffice Paperclip seem not so bad <shiver again>)
  • Reply 7 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Was it from Gore's presentations that became his movie? I believe they said he used Keynote.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Was it from Gore's presentations that became his movie? I believe they said he used Keynote.

No. It was from that old Apple video which was a concept video about what personal computers in the future could be like, where the guy is in his office and talking to his computer, which is responding to him, pulling up info, telling him about incoming phone calls, etc.

I'll try and find a url.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    AH! Dammit, you're right!!

Man, talk about a way to get the rumor mills going!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    You're thinking of the "Knowledge Navigator" video from 1987. Well worth watching as it predicts the Web, handheld communication devices, and sophisticated speech recognition. You can watch or download it here.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "DCQ" wins the grand prize, and "Voxapps" wins runner up for linking.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Great video...anyone have a link to the Starfire video put out by Sun microsystems? Described in Tog's book on software design and very similar to this.

Now we know why iSight is everywhere...

Vinea

PS Oh hey...I don't suppose there was a date on that presentation...Fleming wrote his article in the July 2006...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Great catch. Very cool inside reference there.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I assume it's something in the audio? Here is a screenshot of the exact time you mentioned.

What would be the best way for me to record the keynote for download? How is it somebody always manages to post a version available for download? Why can't I do this? Or how do people do it?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, he means the part where Phil shows off a Keynote presentation. The very same presentation, with the same graphs and data, was in the Knowledge Navigator video.

There is currently no download. There will likely be one available in a few days, provided from Apple. You could try and real-time-record the stream, but quality would be bad.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I've never seen apple post a download of the keynote ever... Only a stream...

I'm currently having VLC save the stream to disc and it appears to be working. I'll let you know after it finishes.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

................Apple's vision of the future in 1987

..................p.s. I'd be surprised if Steve didn't mention this, even briefly, @ Macworld '07

• Reply 18 of 24
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Heh, the equivalent of iChat Theater is in that video too. (2/3rds in)
  • Reply 19 of 24
    MacWorld 2008:

Today, Steve Jobs unveiled the iFinally, the realization of a 21 year old dream at Apple, a workable implementation of the Knowledge Navigator. Joining the Apple CEO on stage was John Scully, under whose tenure as previous CEO the Knowledge Navigator was turned into the ill-fated but technologically advanced Newton line.

-------

Yeah, the iFinally and Scully joining Jobs on stage are about as equally likely.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    hadrianhadrian Posts: 40member
    Anybody with a good memory remember CyberDog? (In case you dont it was Apple's 1st attempt at a web browser).

I thought Time Machine had a vaguely familier look about it the way it 'drills' into the screen