114,000 known viruses for PC...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Let me tell you what is not a good idea - convince them to switch and get the Mini Core Solo with 512MB Ram and then discover that Word, Photoshop etc. run about 1/4 speed they should and the machine is practically unusable.

My experience on a MacBook: Office's performance is acceptable. And if the rest of this family is as savy at the author of this thread, I don't think they're using complex apps like Photoshop
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I hate when people say get a job, I legally can't get a job at 15 - thats what sucks! If I got a job (illegally) then they are not abliged to give me the minimum wage, they can pay me whatever they like.

So you see, it's not as simple as "getting a job" these days.

Personally - I have a quicker idea - Open the case, and take out a stick of ram, wear nylon clothes and walk about a bit, then touch the ram, put it back in the system - then bang :P the ram should work no longer. - Quicker and less obvious.

MY Mac fund stands @ £140 ($280) with money i have made from website design in photoshop on windows and my mum said that isn't a job ...
  • Reply 23 of 31
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88

In the apple commercial, Mac said that there was 114,000 known viruses for PC, but not one of them can be downloaded!

I want to deploy a simple, low harm virus on my family (just bough not one, not two, but four new PCs) to get them to trade in for new Macs.

Any suggestions?

Just turn the thing on. It probably already has some viruses and they don't even know it. For that matter, the entire Windows Operating system is one big virus. LOL....
  • Reply 24 of 31
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88

That was good information, but I want something a little more comical. Like, a message that says "Get a Mac" on the whole screen every hour. Or... "Windows Sucks."

That creates antagonism and you will not help your family in any way. Communication is the best way to go about it. Educate your family about the benefits of the Mac. Ask them to take a look at a Mac. But never, ever, make them wrong for having a PC. No one likes to be wrong. Do you?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    First off, I am rarely wrong. If I am, I am happy to admit it, because I don't have an ego about being wrong. Telling someone 150,000 viruses, is telling them the truth isn't it? It was 114,000 as of the end of last year, but there have been more created every day. Go to McAfee site. :-)
  • Reply 26 of 31
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank

First off, I am rarely wrong. If I am, I am happy to admit it, because I don't have an ego about being wrong. Telling someone 150,000 viruses, is telling them the truth isn't it? It was 114,000 as of the end of last year, but there have been more created every day. Go to McAfee site. :-)

Did I say it's wrong to tell someone the truth? And why are you being so defensive?

Besides, I was not referring to anything you said, I was referring to the act for purposely infecting someone's computer to prove a point. That's unethical.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I was simply answering to your ego-based statement.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I am not the one that is trying to purposely infect another's computer. Don't you know that within 60 seconds of connecting a XP box to the internet that it starts self-propagating viruses? There are plenty of videos explaining it.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    CRHain88, take this from a pro, infecting your families computers will not get them to buy a mac. It will get them very pissed. And the last thing you want is a pissed off father/mother, as they are the least willing to listen to you.

As has already been suggested, show them the benefits of a Mac, and give them some real good reasons on how it would help them, be persuasive. And one very important point, even if your parents already know they are only doing this for you, never act/mention that, always point out ways that it's for their benefit.

Good luck,

Noah
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Alright, I think we can end the parenting now. The kid hasn't been on since the day he posted, and nothing new has been said since the day we grilled him.

One thing though...

If my kid ever tried to pull that crap and I found out about it, he'd get a beatin' for every single windows virus out there.

• Reply 31 of 31
    I just want to quickly ammend this post.

It has been quite a while since this post yes. I completly forgot about it until I searched my name. Then I read further past my last post, which I was hoping would end the conversation.

I guess as a little bit of redemption, I actually went and installed Avast, a free virus program onto their PC.

Oh, and as far as the me not being on thing, I'm the type of person that just sits in the shadows and watches. Every now and again I'll feel an urge to post something.