What if Apple created a financial planning software...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    pkguy323pkguy323 Posts: 14member
    I would be 100% for Apple making a Finance app. iMoney is a perfect name and would bundle greatly with the iWork suite. For an extra $20, I'd buy the iWork suite with a finance app.

The bonus here is....Apple knows their code better than anyone, so bugs would be less likely.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Apple looks like it may get into that. Iwork 09 has a checkbook template in the Numbers progran. I haven't looked at it very carefully, but Apple may be working on an iApp that may become part of iWork or iLife in the future. If they do, I hope they don't just copy someone else's program. Instead, I hope they make a fully functional and excellent program.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm thinking that I'll just run the Quicken 2007 version via Parallels or something. Quicken Mac is never going to have parity with the PC version or so it seems.

I'm now using Moneywell and have no need or desire for Quicken. Once there is an iPhone app for Moneywell I'll be in hog heaven.

I've moved on from thinking that Intuit is going to change and I dont' see Apple interested in a financial application (it's already overpopulated as far as choices for OS X)
  • Reply 24 of 26
    sarge_sarge_ Posts: 6member
    It would constantly be one year behind on the latest tax and GAAP rules, and would be painfully slow at managing those.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

I hate being stuck with Quicken for Mac (currently running 2006 -- don't see any benefits to upgrade to 2007).

There are a couple of other Mac-specific financial tracking apps out there such as iBank. Unfortunately, I've never found anything allow for the 'direct connect' functionality. (i.e. I don't want to have to go to my bank's website, download a transaction file, then manually import that into the financial application). Evidently Quicken has a monopoly on that...

My bank, Bank of America, hasn't supported 'direct connect' for Quicken for Mac 2006 for quite a while and is requiring QfM 2007. Another bank I use, Wachovia, recently, did the same - stopped supporting 'direct connect' for QfM 2006 and requires QfM 2007.

Ergo, if you want 'direct connect', you have to upgrade QfM. That is the benefit.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

I found out why last year. Intuit charges separate licensees for companies to provide PC and Mac downloads. Now remember, there is NO difference between the file you download for a PC and one for a Mac. The only difference is an identifier the Quicken uses to see if the financial institution has paid up. Got this direct from the source at Wachovia.

Thank you, As I said in a previous post, Wachovia denied me the use of 'direct connect' because I hadn't upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2007. After reading your post, I called Wachovia, I mentioned what you posted and asked to have 'direct connect' re-established. I was told it would be re-established as of 2:00 pm tomorrow. Thanx again.

I called Bank of America, Quicken dept., and tried the same as above. No joy. The rep just kept repeating that it was up to Quicken, and that BoA couldn't make that change.