"Macs are too expensive"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Can it run Mac OS? That's all I care about.

Will it run Leopard, or Tiger?

I envision a time - and hopefully not too distant from now - when "any" OS will be able to install and run on "any" platform. We're already seeing this with Windows running on the new Intel Macs ! Also, and I'm sure you know this already, OS X is built on Unix (Linux?). PC's have for some time been able to use boot menus to select from a variety of OS's - OS/2, BeOS, Windows and Linux for example. On my iBook, I run OS X applications, Windows applications (for Mac), and Linux applications - some via X11. I also appreciate cross-platform applications - such as "Firefox" by mozilla, just as an example. There are versions of Firefox for, just about, all platforms .
  • Reply 22 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Windows is usually more responsive.

Are you nuts? Windows has CRAP interrupt latency, poor memory management, and when you factor in the mandatory virus program, I find Windows to be unusable with anything less than 1500 MIPS and 512MB of RAM. My old 1GHz PBG4, on the other hand, runs OS X pretty well: For a desktop OS, OS X has a quite enviable worst-case latency.

The whole "Windows feels faster" observation is incredibly dated, and now-a-days is incredibly wrong.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Maybe he means observed GUI response. I can tell you, from moving the Safari window around on my Dual 1.8 GHz G4 Power Mac that my PC and Windows would resize the window faster. I'm only assuming thats what he means. I agree. Although the new Intel-based computers make the interface fly.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin

Why do people insist on stirring up these adolescent debates ?

If you're referring to me for starting this thread, I never denigrated it because it uses Windows. I just noted that its price is barely less than that of a Mac mini that's better equipped in many ways, which blows the whole "Macs are too expensive" argument out of the water. Whether you prefer Windows or OS X, there's no denying that the Pandora's specs are definitely inferior.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

If you're referring to me for starting this thread, I never denigrated it because it uses Windows. I just noted that its price is barely less than that of a Mac mini that's better equipped in many ways, which blows the whole "Macs are too expensive" argument out of the water. Whether you prefer Windows or OS X, there's no denying that the Pandora's specs are definitely inferior.

No, I wasn't referring to your initiation of the thread. It was prompted by comments that followed. I'm just so tired of the never ending PC & Mac, or McCoy & Hatfield, type feuds \. I tend to see them as totally non-productive ? Ditto with the Ford & Chevy owner's, each proclaiming "theirs" is the best . Actually, I appreciate your starting this thread, as I was unaware there was a PC mini available, so thanks for sharing that .
  • Reply 26 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Possibly, but on my iMac G5 it's fast enough to be a non-issue. Plus, Windows still does most resizing and window moving the way OS 9 did, which of course is going to take fewer cycles. On the other hand, navigating through PDFs in Windows is noticeably slower experience. If you get out the hand tool, the CPU and fans start going nuts.

But at the end of the day I definitely spend a fair amount of time on the PC waiting for windows, particularly whenever doing anything in MS Office (especially Outlook). I don't think I ever see the beachball or am held back by the OS on the Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IonYz

Maybe he means observed GUI response. I can tell you, from moving the Safari window around on my Dual 1.8 GHz G4 Power Mac that my PC and Windows would resize the window faster.

Too true. It's also doing about squat in comparison to OS X's dynamic resizing and compositing. Expect Vista to be much more on par with OS X's performance than XP's when it comes to such things. (It's like a peek into the fuuuuuutuuuuuuurrrrrre!)
  • Reply 28 of 30
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Too true. It's also doing about squat in comparison to OS X's dynamic resizing and compositing. Expect Vista to be much more on par with OS X's performance than XP's when it comes to such things. (It's like a peek into the fuuuuuutuuuuuuurrrrrre!)

Oh I know. Just moving around Windows, while faster, isn't as smooth as my Mac. Also glitches sometimes. Weird. Its full screen most the time anyway (games).
  • Reply 29 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It has a Mini PCI slot so you can put a dedicated video card in it. I bet it also runs Windows better than Apple's current Minis run OS X. I bet it also doesn't have a retarded mechanism for opening it. I mean, putty knives for christs sake. Since when has anyone ever had to open a machine with putty knives?

Not a comparison: WinXP is ~5.5 years old, SP2 is 2+ years old: Tiger has been out for ~15 months: it takes advantage of a lot more tech than XP does so it takes more horsepower.

as to the retarded design, I agree, what is so bad about using screws...unless you just don't want the customer to ever open it, and toss it in 2 years when a simple ram upgrade can extend a computers usable life by a long time.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It has a Mini PCI slot so you can put a dedicated video card in it. I bet it also runs Windows better than Apple's current Minis run OS X. I bet it also doesn't have a retarded mechanism for opening it. I mean, putty knives for christs sake. Since when has anyone ever had to open a machine with putty knives?

I'm not saying it's a better deal and it sure is ugly but it has advantages over Apple's deal. I think Apple should start looking at competition like that and take the best of both.

Ditto on all counts.

This little "POS" has many features over the mini.