DigiTimes floats new wireless iPod rumors

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer may soon launch a new iPod that supports wireless capabilities, according to a Taiwan-based publication.

Citing market sources, the always intriguing but seldom accurate DigiTimes reports that the iPod maker is likely to introduce such a device in order to compete with Microsoft's planned year-end launch of its Zune-branded digital media player.

"Apple's headquarters has begun dispatching its staff to its major markets in Asia, to teach local sales how to demonstrate the new products," the report states.

However, Apple Taiwan has apparently flat out denied the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I agree that DIGITIMES is seldom accurate. They seem to tout the "Microsoft is best" flag all too often.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    my guess is that the new ipod will offer:

1. more storage space (not too hard to predict)

and either:

2a. bluetooth headphone support

or

2b. built in digital camera (probably less likely, but it would be useful if it was high quality 4MP+ and with flash)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I'm still waiting for the G5 iBooks Digitimes said were a done deal.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    If the iPod has any form of wireless, I doubt it would have been in response to hypothetical competition because they probably started the design work as much as two years ago. If MS wants to add WiFi, that's their deal. They get to reap the blessings and curses of that. I think it might be a good marketing bullet point, but they will need to make it a compelling feature from the software and support end to make it a sustainable draw.

WiFi isn't a selling point for a media player for me. I would consider upgrading to get some form of digital wireless headphone support built-in. I'm sick of my headphone cord, I either have to route it under my shirt or allow it to get snagged.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    yamasyamas Posts: 16member
    I think bluetooth is more likely, there are already bluetooth head sets out there. But my main thought is with Front Row being bundled with Leopard the iPod Bluetooth could become a controller for it. All Mac's capable of running Front Row are capable of running Bluetooth. Plus add the feature to stream music and video from the iPod to the Front Row or up load to the ipod whilst watching or listening makes it a very nice little package, a kind of digital hub!!

Is this part of the Top Secret bits they are hiding from us, total iPod intergration!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yamas

I think bluetooth is more likely, there are already bluetooth head sets out there. But my main thought is with Front Row being bundled with Leopard the iPod Bluetooth could become a controller for it. All Mac's capable of running Front Row are capable of running Bluetooth. Plus add the feature to stream music and video from the iPod to the Front Row or up load to the ipod whilst watching or listening makes it a very nice little package, a kind of digital hub!!

Is this part of the Top Secret bits they are hiding from us, total iPod intergration!

The only way they would hide these "top secret" features from us, is if they actually thought they were good enough to hide. My bet is they are, and that we should expect about another 10 big things @ Macworld in 2007 *gets a warm fuzzy feeling*
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I'm betting on wireless (Bluetooth) headphone support also. This will allow them to transition very smoothly to the Bluetooth iPod Phone.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

No, no! They were a DEAD deal.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If we can believe the next article here, then DigiTimes may be right after all.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

If we can believe the next article here, then DigiTimes may be right after all.

I forget where someone reminded us of this, but a broken clock is right twice a day. If they make enough predictions, a few are likely to be right on occasion.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

They seem to be right in line with MOSR!!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    It might be interesting to purchase one of the "iPod Bluetooth" headphones just to see what the manual says in terms of how to configure it....
  • Reply 13 of 13
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

It might be interesting to purchase one of the "iPod Bluetooth" headphones just to see what the manual says in terms of how to configure it....

huhhh??