Apple filing illustrates wireless iPod sync, docking station

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild

802.11 would be way too slow for syncing more than a few songs. Even 802.11g, which goes up to "54 Mbps" (shown to be more like 20 Mbps in real life) would mean it takes 20 times longer to sync than over FireWire 400 or USB 2.0. I don't see the point; it would just drive up the cost of the device without adding any significant value.

Yeah, it is a lot closer to USB1.x., but the iPod drives really aren't terribly fast either.

Wireless doesn't solve the idea of charging, unless Apple offers a system to allow syncing to a dock connected to Airport Express, then it's not a drain on the iPod.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild

802.11 would be way too slow for syncing more than a few songs. Even 802.11g, which goes up to "54 Mbps" (shown to be more like 20 Mbps in real life) would mean it takes 20 times longer to sync than over FireWire 400 or USB 2.0. I don't see the point; it would just drive up the cost of the device without adding any significant value.

But, that really isn't an issue for an ipod you'd like to leave docked in your stereo system when you get home from work/school. Or for an iPod you'd like to integrate into a car stereo system that sits in the garage overnight.

I'd imagine charging would be integrated into the same wireless dock if you were to create one, it seems like it would be pretty stupid not to.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't understand this constant push on Apple's part to have people dock their iPods. I have my iPods in cases. A lot of people do. I have no interest in taking them out of the cases. Docks do not work for a lot of us! Give me wireless right in the iPod or give me a cable with a dock connector on it.

If a third party manufacturer (or Apple) came up with a whole system of accessories that were all based around a standard iPod case that fits into a boombox, dock, etc., I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I don't understand this constant push on Apple's part to have people dock their iPods. I have my iPods in cases. A lot of people do. I have no interest in taking them out of the cases. Docks do not work for a lot of us! Give me wireless right in the iPod or give me a cable with a dock connector on it.

If a third party manufacturer (or Apple) came up with a whole system of accessories that were all based around a standard iPod case that fits into a boombox, dock, etc., I would buy it in a heartbeat.

If Apple sells 40 million iPods a year, and 2 million sit in docks part of the time, would that be a big enough market? I think so.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Very well, from what I've read.

Anything public that can be divulged?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Anything public that can be divulged?

It is all public. I don't particularly remember where though. That's the problem. Read something, don't bother to save the page because you don't think you'll need it, and then you do.

It could have been in an article right here. It was in news articles on these sites.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    One question that I have, and maybe it has been answered already... This whole wireless deal, is it for flash based iPods or all iPods???

If the whole issue is about data transfer, what gives with wireless when USB 2.0 or firewire is the fast track to take?

Dang!!!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott

One question that I have, and maybe it has been answered already... This whole wireless deal, is it for flash based iPods or all iPods???

If the whole issue is about data transfer, what gives with wireless when USB 2.0 or firewire is the fast track to take?

Dang!!!

Who knows? These are all just rumors.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Haha, last night I was transferring a few megs of mp3's to my vx8300 phone using BitPim via bluetooth (because I'm too cheap to buy the USB cable). Believe me, Bluetooth is not the way to go for any file transferring....
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

Haha, last night I was transferring a few megs of mp3's to my vx8300 phone using BitPim via bluetooth (because I'm too cheap to buy the USB cable). Believe me, Bluetooth is not the way to go for any file transferring....

I don't think anyone here suggested it would be good for file transfers. Its data rate is in the range of broadband Internet - about 1Mbps.

The reason it was suggested is for audio, with EDR, it's enough to feed cordless stereo headphones. Reasonably low power WiFi chips are available, but IIRC, Bluetooth is still lower power and already has headphone or at least audio devices as part of the standard.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

If Apple sells 40 million iPods a year, and 2 million sit in docks part of the time, would that be a big enough market? I think so.

I'm not saying that it's not a big enough market. What I'm saying is that Apple and other third-party accessory vendors seem to want people to constantly take their iPods in and out of the cases to be able to use ANYTHING that's got a dock connector.

Look at all the desktop boombox/stereo setups out there. How many can I use with the dock connector without taking my iPod out of its case? Sure, there are workarounds, but no good solution as far as I'm concerned.

I would LOVE to plop my iPod down on my desk at work, start playing it, and have it stream music wirelessly to the little boombox setup that I leave there all the time. Or, have a boombox with a clip holder that my iPods case clips onto, I plug in a short dock connector pigtail, and I'm good to go.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I'm not saying that it's not a big enough market. What I'm saying is that Apple and other third-party accessory vendors seem to want people to constantly take their iPods in and out of the cases to be able to use ANYTHING that's got a dock connector.

Look at all the desktop boombox/stereo setups out there. How many can I use with the dock connector without taking my iPod out of its case? Sure, there are workarounds, but no good solution as far as I'm concerned.

I would LOVE to plop my iPod down on my desk at work, start playing it, and have it stream music wirelessly to the little boombox setup that I leave there all the time. Or, have a boombox with a clip holder that my iPods case clips onto, I plug in a short dock connector pigtail, and I'm good to go.

The problem is that people want their iPods to serve two masters.

The first is for the "traditional" portable usage, where a case is almost mandatory.

The second is for when they get home, and want to use that stored library to play over some other audio device.

The problem has to do with the type of case you get. You can use one that works like my Treo case. It is leather, fits on my belt, and protects the phone. But, I can snap open that case and remove the phone in seconds. Return it even more quickly.

No problem.

But if you have a skintight case, it is far more formidable to remove and put back on.

It comes down to how you want to use it. There are plenty of choices available.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

But it still works fine with 1.0, right? I'm curious about why you need the faster transfer speeds. It's nice to have, but I don't think I'd be pissed with 100 Mb/sec, it's still plenty fast enough to update new files, even if refilling the whole thing takes a little dedicated time.

I have a MacBook with USB 2.0 and the iPod syncs fast...almost like my other iPod and Firewire. But my other computer has USB 1.1 and it takes forever. Absolutely forever.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

The problem is that people want their iPods to serve two masters.

The first is for the "traditional" portable usage, where a case is almost mandatory.

The second is for when they get home, and want to use that stored library to play over some other audio device.

The problem has to do with the type of case you get. You can use one that works like my Treo case. It is leather, fits on my belt, and protects the phone. But, I can snap open that case and remove the phone in seconds. Return it even more quickly.

No problem.

But if you have a skintight case, it is far more formidable to remove and put back on.

It comes down to how you want to use it. There are plenty of choices available.

Being able to accept iPods with cases does add a level of complexity to the product, no two iPod cases are equally thick, and usually have different size clips and other protursions. It would need a few different adjustments to hold the case securely, so maybe it was just easier to assume there was no case.

The problem I have with cases is that most cases almost need something like the Invisible Skin to protect the iPod from scratches from their protective case as well. Dust and dirt almost inevitably get between the case and the iPod, get embedded into the case and scratch the iPod from regular handling, at least from my use.

Personally, I really don't care too much for docking, though I did make a replica of the sleek aluminum dock that my local Apple store uses to show off their nanos.