Show us your Mac Pros

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Damn, here I thought you were some Doctor Evil world domination guy...
  • Reply 22 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikethomson

Nah, just animate them 8)

"Animate" is a military euphemism for selecting targets, the guy in the next room launches them.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda

Hey Placebo, make sure you post some pics of your Mac Pro when you get it in September

Tuesday could possibly be the ship, since a bunch of people got their rigs delayed till then, perhaps Apple wants to get the X1900XT Macs out the door in the same shipment.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikethomson

Here's mine. Sorry about the mess...

1. How many computers do you have?

2. What animation software do you use?

3. What are your MacPro's specs?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda

1. How many computers do you have?

2. What animation software do you use?

3. What are your MacPro's specs?

I have 7 1/2 computers - The Dell Axim x51v PDA being the half. Although it is running at 624MHZ - faster than my wifes G4 466! I'm not counting my Pentium 200 and my Mac IIfx that I just can't bear th throw away

In the photo, from the left:
    1. Compaq laptop Athlon 1500 - always on, used to be for emails & web stuff

2. P4 2.66 render box 1

3. P4 2.66 render box 2

4. P4 2.66 render box 3

5. P4 2.8 render box 4 - used to be my main animation machine

6. Dell Axim x51v

7. Mac Pro stock 2.66 - used for everything now!

8. Mac G4 466 - my wifes computer

I'll let wikipedia explain what a render farm is.

I use Maya for animation. It has really great cross platform support, so switching from PC to Mac is easy. Us intel mac guys are just waiting patiently for a universal binary to come along. Until then, Maya absolutely screams under Boot Camp / XP. It does work under rosetta, but a test frame took 11 minutes rather than under three in XP.

The Mac Pro is just the stock one I picked up at my local Apple store. 2.66GHz, 1GB 7300 etc... One day when the sting of the price has faded, I'll get more ram and hopefully an off the shelf 7900 or 8xxx nvidia card if it can be done.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The shelf holding up those 4 towers looks perilously close to collapse.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Yeah, looks to be bowing under what must be 200 pounds or so.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Hi

Nice Setups! But why so few?

I hope I get my dream machine till Friday, so I can contribute some images too.

I'm so eager to switch to OSX, my 2 year old dell notebook daily creates new error codes...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I just got back from the Apple Store with my MacPro and 23" Display. I'll post pictures later.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

The shelf holding up those 4 towers looks perilously close to collapse.

It's wobbly as hell too! I gotta fix that some day. It was only a quick temp solution that has kinda stuck around for the last couple of years. The shelf just sagged ..in the first couple of weeks and then settled down into an equilibrium...
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Thinking of that shelf snapping gives me the chills.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

The guy is nice enough to show pictures of his new Mac Pro and people are busting his chops over furniture. Nice.....

Yeah, that's not very nice. It's probably common for a college student anyway.

I wish I had photos of the "computer room" that my roomates and I had several years ago. We had an eclectic bunch of stuff.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    taucetauce Posts: 7member
    I'd like to take this moment to point out that the beautiful Mac Pro has as many processors as those P4s up top . Very nice setup.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tauce

I'd like to take this moment to point out that the beautiful Mac Pro has as many processors as those P4s up top . Very nice setup.

It might have 4 times the processors, but in Maya, the Mac Pro is SEVEN times as fast as each of them!