Apple updates MacBook, Xsan and Logic software

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i thought the core 2 duo was to be the thing, the bomb, better performance AND better battery life, what gives? so you see a decrease in the battery life if macbook goes core 2 duo?? what macbook setup would have the best battery life??? and what about the mbp?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123

not needed yet, but eventually things will be dropped. Maybe even before then end of the year all of Apples machines will be 64 bit capable. Its possible in like 3 years PPC wont even be supported anymore, and in 4 to 6 32bit x86 wont be with new products either. Sure if you want a low end macbook to use for the next 5 years, I'm sure youll have no issues, though the resale value will be much lower. Me I'd wait and get the Merom. There is barely a heat of power difference, as the copalints about it are way overblown. a difference of 2 degrees or 5 minutes of power makes no difference to me... when i only have to wait a few months and get the better one at the same price the lesser one would be.

in the quicktime movie from wwdc06 someone was saying about how that even though the developers can make 64bit apps, they have done it in 32bit compatable way. so i take it that the apps will be 64bit, but will still work on a 32bit machine. so perhaps 32bit wont be dropped that quickly.....

correct me if i am wrong anyone
  • Reply 23 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

so i take it that the apps will be 64bit, but will still work on a 32bit machine.

64-bit apps will be quad-binaries: ppc, ppc64, x86 and x86_64. On 64-bit machines (Power Mac G5s and Core 2-based and newer Intel Macs such as the Mac Pro), the 64-bit binary section will be used. On 32-bit machines (G3s, G4s and current Intel Macs save the Mac Pro), the 32-bit one will be used.

The big difference to how 64-bit works in Windows is that 32-bit binaries run natively. This has two implications:

1) 32-bit drivers work.

2) 32-bit applications don't suffer a performance penalty.

On Windows x64, on the other hand, 32-bit drivers will not run at all when you're running in 64-bit mode, and 32-bit applications need to run through WOW (Windows on Windows), which is an emulator, causing a noticeable performance hit.

The only limitation Leopard will bring is that 32-bit plug-ins will likely not run within 64-bit applications, and vice versa.